|This location exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this location before the Super Genesis Wave, see Shrine Isle (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
The Shrine Isle is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a small island adjacent to Angel Island that is the location of the Master Emerald.
The Shattered World Crisis
- Note: From the readers point of view, this picks up from where the Shrine Isle's original timeline ended.
During the events of the Shattered World Crisis, Knuckles the Echidna was on Shrine Isle and witnessed the devastation to the world's surface as the planet split apart. To his further surprise, Chaos emerged from the Master Emerald and plummeted towards the surface, and Tikal then addressed him. Tasked with finding Light Gaia and helping him restore the planet, Knuckles had Relic the Pika and her assistant Fixit the Robot to stay on Shrine Isle and watch the Master Emerald in his absence. Knuckles subsequently returned here with Light Gaia, nicknamed Chip, and conversed with Tikal regarding what to do next. However, Relic then arrived to inform him that the island had been invaded by an alien force. This threat would prove to be Eclipse the Darkling and his Dark Arms, and their presence soon brought Team Dark to Shrine Isle in search of Knuckles.
Knuckles would agree to helping Team Dark on their mission so long as Rouge the Bat stayed away from the Master Emerald. While Knuckles, Rouge and E-123 Omega went to the Red Mountain Zone, Shadow the Hedgehog remained at Shrine Isle with Relic, Fixit and a Dr. Snively via a Mono Beetle. They were soon attacked by Eclipse, though Shadow was able to defeat the alien. Shadow ultimately decided to secure the Master Emerald so that Eclipse would not be able to harness its energy. This did not bode well with Knuckles when he returned and he fought Shadow all the way off Shrine Isle. Rouge, Omega, Relic, Fixit and Snively stayed behind and were assaulted by Eclipse, this time alongside his Dark Arms. Eclipse forcibly made Rouge and Relic tell him where he could escape Angel Island and he then successfully stole the Master Emerald.
After destroying the Master Emerald once more, Knuckles went on a quest to find the Master Emerald shards. Finding a Teleporter in the Hidden Palace Zone, he and Amy Rose got the assembled Master Emerald back to Angel Island and the Shrine Isle before Angel Island fell. Later on, Knuckles would employ the use of a fake Emerald from the Hidden Palace Zone in the shrine so that it would be harder for thieves to steal the Master Emerald.
- The Shrine Isle is based on the small island in Sonic Adventure that is connected to Angel Island by a bridge, upon which the ruins of the Altar of the Emeralds are based.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Universe #63, "The Great Chaos Caper Part One: On the Hunt"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #66, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Four: Water Way To Go!"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic Universe #67, "Total Eclipse Part One: Uninvited Guests"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #68, "Total Eclipse Part Two: Tipping Point"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic Universe #69, "Total Eclipse Part Three: Shadow Boxing"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic Universe #70, "Total Eclipse Finale: Last Resort"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #90, "Shattered Finale: Restoration"