I am Sinbad of the Seven Seas, Adventurer of Adventurers! Who the heck are you?
— Sinbad the Sailor, Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sinbad the Sailor (シンドバット Shindobatto?) is a character that appears in Sonic and the Secret Rings. He is an anthropomorphic echidna and the alternate reality doppelgänger of Knuckles the Echidna from the world of the Arabian Nights. He is renowned throughout his world as a legendary adventurer.
He and Sonic first met when Ali-Baba recommended to seek him out for his advice on how to deal with the Ifrit. At that point, Sinbad had been engaged in a battle with pirates when he was kidnapped by the Rukh, most likely under the orders from Erazor Djinn. Sonic and Shahra then send off to find him.
The duo soon find him held in a cage aboard one of the Rukh, where he understandably requests that he be freed before he shares his advice with them. Sonic soon frees him and Sinbad provides the somewhat obvious suggestion of defeating the fire genie by dousing him with water. He proves he is still just as stubborn as Knuckles when he started to fight with Sonic when the hedgehog insulted his suggestion. After their argument is broken up by Ali-Baba, Sinbad elaborates that he meant recovering the Water World Rings he had stolen from the pirates and using that to produce the water needed to extinguish and defeat the Ifrit.
After Sonic had defeated the Erazor Djinn, Sinbad aided him and Ali-Baba during Sonic's following adventures as he searched for a way back to his own world.
Much like Knuckles, Sinbad is aggressive, stubborn, gruff and somewhat antisocial. Liking life to a game of give and take, he is willing to help others out, but only if they do something for him in turn. By comparison, Sinbad comes off as a bit smarter than Knuckles, but according to Sonic, that is not saying much.
- "Now, about the fire genie... why not try splashing some water on him?" - Sinbad suggesting an idea to defeat the Ifrit Golem.
- "Okay! Any day now, thanks!" - Sinbad "wishing luck" for Sonic and Shahra to save him.
- "Life's a game of give and take, see? You free me, and I'll help you out later." - Sinbad urging Sonic to free him.
- Compared to his Sonic-World counterpart, Sinbad is more intelligent, in terms of solutions to defeat an enemy.
- Sinbad's face cannot be seen during gameplay unless you adjust the camera angles.
- How Sinbad is able to use the Water Blue Ring to control the weather is uncertain, as it has been shown that the World Rings themselves are intangible to the inhabitants of the Arabian Nights.