|Soleanna Royal Guards|
Three members of the Soleanna Royal Guards
|Group Overview and Statistics|
Soleanna guard uniforms
The Soleanna Royal Guards are a division of human soldiers that patrol Soleanna in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). They are usually found in Castle Town watching out for crime, guarding restricted areas and protecting the gate to New City from potential troublemakers, though they can be encountered in any part of Soleanna. Their uniform is primarily dark green.
The guards are not very integral to the plot of the game, but they play important parts in various Town Missions, some of which are required to progress through the story.
The Soleanna Royal Guards only give Town Missions to Sonic and Silver, and do not provide any of Shadow's missions (the guards appear in a few places in his story of the game, but are not very useful). The guards provide the following Town Missions:
- Who is the Captain?: The Soleanna Royal Guards play their largest role in Sonic's fifth Town Mission. During this mission, Sonic must talk to the guards in Castle Town and find the real captain in order to gain access to New City.
- Battle at the Warehouse!: The guards play a minor role in Sonic's eleventh Town Mission, but they do not need to be spoken to. Before the mission begins, three soldiers are seen barricading the New City warehouse from civilians, as it has been overrun by Eggman's robots. The guards are reluctant to let Sonic through, but they still allow him to enter.
- The Training Grounds: Soleanna Forest serves as the royal training ground for Soleanna's guards. One exercise, developed to improve the speed of trespassing on opponents' quarters, requires the trainee to go through every ring in the forest within the time limit, and must be completed before becoming a soldier. A guard persuades Silver to give this exercise a try for his second Town Mission.
- Protect the Coastline!: Following the disaster at the Festival of the Sun with the explosions and the kidnapping of Princess Elise, the town is beginning to flourish again. However, one of the guards has noticed a horde of robots heading towards Castle Town, indicating a reprise of what happened before. For his fifth Town Mission, the guard asks Silver to destroy these robots before they are able to destroy the town.
- Get into the station!: The train station in Soleanna's New City has become heavily shielded from danger by the royal guards, who are patrolling the streets. Silver's eleventh Town Mission is to sneak past these guards and try to enter the station without being caught, so he can enter Radical Train and pursue Sonic, the Iblis trigger.
- Protect Anna - She Knows the Secret!: Anna, a lady-in-waiting of Princess Elise, has been threatened by Eggman's robots, who are trying to obtain knowledge of Soleanna from her. The royal guards heard her screaming, but could not deal with the robots. As his fourteenth Town Mission, the guards ask Silver to defeat the enemies and escort Anna from Castle Town to Soleanna Forest in order to keep her safe from harm.
There are fourteen guards waiting in the area during the "Who is the Captain?" Town Mission. However, only five of them can be interacted with, and therefore, only five of them have known names:
- Pietro: As the captain of the Soleanna Royal Guards, Pietro is mainly responsible for guarding New City's gate. He stands next to the fountain and provides Sonic with his mission. At first, Pietro claims that he is only a lieutenant, so opening the gate to citizens is not his duty. However, at the end of the mission, Pietro reveals that he was lying - he is the captain - and grants Sonic access to New City.
- Fabio: This guard waits in the middle of the area, a short distance from the fountain, standing with an unnamed guard. Fabio is the second of the two guards who try to trick Sonic during his mission, as he falsely claims that Guido is the captain.
- Guido: This guard can be found a distance from Fabio, between two anonymous guards in front of a bridge. Guido states that the captain is one of the soldiers who Sonic has already spoken to, which is right.
- Giorgio: This guard stands among two other guards in front of the bridge nearest the fountain. Giorgio makes the correct claim that Alessio's words are true.
- Alessio: This guard stands before the gate to New City with another unnamed guard. He says that the captain is in front of the fountain, which is correct, as Pietro is the only soldier there. Alessio is also the only member of the Soleanna Royal Guards who is involved in another Town Mission; he must be spoken to for Sonic's thirteenth mission, "Mels, the Soleanna Running Legend".