Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the sequel for the first racing game of the SEGA Superstars series. The game was leaked by Kotaku at the New York Toy Fair by revealing, according to Kotaku, "Sega's Sequel to Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing". Pictures depicting the side-view of the shelf revealed boxes for Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Beat, and Aiai. Shortly after this event the website called Starland.com also added info on the game. They listed it in the pre-order list for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii for $57, to be released on November 30th, 2012. This was then removed by SEGA.
On April 30th, an announcement trailer was released, revealing the game's official name, as well as a new mechanic that transforms the character's vehicles to land, air, and water forms. The confirmed platforms of release are PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, Vita and 3DS.
The game is to be released on the Xbox 360, PS3, will be released on November 16th in Australia. Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita in North America on December 11th, and in Europe on the 20th of November. The PC version will be released on February 15th, 2013. The Wii U version will be a launch title, launching along with the console on Nov. 18th in North America, Nov. 30th in Europe/Australia and in Japan on Dec. 8th. It was later revealed that the game will be available through digital download on the PC through Steam Software, from where you can play as the DLC TF2 characters.
Gameplay, for the most part, is the same as in the prequel, where you choose different settings and characters before a race. The biggest addition to the game is the three different modes of racing: land, sea, and air, a concept previously used in Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 7. The karts can now change into a plane when in the air and a boat when on water. The Sumo Digital staff have said in some interviews that it will be "proper boating, proper flying, and improved kart racing".
All-Star Moves and other items, such as mines, are returning, though there will be special stars that will power up a meter for the All-Star Moves. Once the meter is full, the player can use their character's All-Star Move at anytime and any racing position. It has been shown in footage by IGN that there are different or new weapons; two of the known weapons is a snowman's head that sends shots of ice that will freeze the racers and a baseball glove that catches the item from behind. There are also 17 new tracks, plus 4 favorite tracks from the previous game.
Players will be able to earn points to put towards a leveling system, which can potentially unlock vehicle mods and other items.
So far, 29 playable characters (including three 3rd party characters) have been confirmed to appear in this game. It has also been said that the game will feature platform specific rosters, and no single platform has all 29 characters. The confirmed number of racers include:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: 'Speed Star' sports car with two of his trademark spines on the back.
- Doctor Eggman: Red six wheeled 'tank' that has his face on it.
- Miles "Tails" Prower: Upgraded version of the MTP-01 Whirlwind.
- Amy Rose: New Rounded version of her Pink Cabriolet.
- Knuckles the Echidna: Backwards trike with a design influenced by himself.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: A black and white GUN vehicle with tank-like treads.
- Metal Sonic (via Bonus/Limited Edition) Upgraded Metal Booster from the first game
- Amigo: A four-wheeled steam train inspired by his previous kart.
- Aiai: Yellow F-1 like car similar to his from the previous game.
- B.D. Joe: A shorter version of his personal Chevy Impala
- Beat: Quad bike themed after his gang and his game's titular radio station.
- Ulala : White sports car similar to Sonic's "Speed Star" with Space Channel 5 logo
- Mii: Exclusively for Nintendo Consoles. Confirmed during Gamescom 2012. Steve Lycett (S0L) on an official SEGA Forum also confirmed.
- Avatars: Exclusively for Xbox 360
- Alex Kidd: Capsule-like vehicle, replacing the bike.
- Vyse: old-fashioned steampunk race car.
- Gillus Thunderhead: A bronze animal-eqsue statue
- Joe Musashi: A yellow and black quad bike.
- NiGHTS and Nightopian
- Reala and Nightmaren
- Gum 
- Mee Mee : a pink version of Aiai's car.
- Pudding: A green, futuristic car from Channel 42 resembling her aircraft from Space Channel 5: Part 2.
- AGES: A transforming fusion of several elements from SEGA's past; the Hornet from Daytona, a Dreamcast controller, and a F-14 from Afterburner.
3rd Party Characters
- Danica Patrick: A neon green racing car with logos for Sonic, SEGA, GoDaddy.com, and Hot Wheels. 
- Wreck-It Ralph: A Jeep that has a wrecking ball in the boot
Downloadable Content (DLC)
- Pyro, Heavy and Spy : From Team Fortress 2, Pyro (Land Vehicle), Heavy (Water Vehicle) and Spy (Air Vehicle), team up in one race cart. Pyro owns a large RED cart, flame themed, with large wheels. Heavy owns a huge Army-Camo themed Boat attached with two miniguns (Sasha) on the left and right whereas Spy owns a slim, jet, which hovers at high speeds and shoots out a blue fume.
- SegaBot: A robot themed as Sega Consoles who can eventually transform into generations of Sega Consoles. 
- Ristar: Since NiGHTS is now a racer, Ristar is going to take his/her place as the flagman.
There will be a total of 21 tracks, with 17 new ones (1 exclusive to the Limited/Bonus Edition) and 4 returning ones from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. The tracks will have a set Grand Prix order, as follows: 
- Ocean View (Sonic Heroes) - Car/Boat
- Samba Studios (Samba the Amigo) - Car/Boat
- Carrier Zone (After Burner: Climax) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Temple Trouble (Super Monkey Ball) - Car/Boat
- Galactic Parade (Sonic Colors/Colours) - Car/Plane
- Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi) - Car/Boat
- Rogues' Landing (Skies of Arcadia) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Dream Valley (NiGHTS into Dreams) - Boat/Plane
- Chilly Castle (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg) - Car/Boat
- Graffiti City (Jet Set Radio) - Car/Plane
- Sanctuary Falls (Sonic & Knuckles)- Car/Plane
- Graveyard Gig (The House of the Dead) - Car/Boat
- Adder's Lair (Golden Axe) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Burning Depths (Burning Rangers) - Car/Boat
- Race of Ages (SEGA Tribute race) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Sunshine Tour (Samba the Amigo)(Returning) - Car Only
- Shibuya Downtown (Jet Set Radio Future)(Returning) - Car only
- Roulette Road (Sonic Heroes)(Returning) - Car only
- Egg Hangar (Sonic & Knuckles) (Returning) - Car only
- OutRun Bay (OutRun) (Bonus/Limited Edition Only) - Car/Boat
Mirrored versions of all the tracks, including Outrun Bay, are also available.
- This is the second time in which a Sonic game was leaked due to the premature release of toys, the first time being when toys of Rouge the Bat and Shadow the Hedgehog had been revealed before both characters' debuting game, Sonic Adventure 2, was even announced, both of which happen to be sequels.
- This game's transformation feature resembles 3 other games:
- Hot Wheels Extreme Racing for the PlayStation, a game which also utilized the ability to transform into a plane and boat during gameplay.
- Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64, a game with cars, boats, and planes that raced on different tracks.
- Mario Kart 7 for the Nintendo 3DS, a game that allowed players to drive underwater and hang glide during gameplay.
- Sumo Digital claims that they had the idea of the transforming vehicles before Mario Kart 7 was announced. 
- Unlike the first game, the PC version will feature an online multiplayer mode.
- There is a minor change in the title from the first All-Stars Racing game as the "SEGA" is missing, just making it Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed rather than Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed. This was most likely just an effort to make the title shorter.
- The "SEGA" in the title could also be missing because the game features characters that don't belong to SEGA, such as the real-life celebrity Danica Patrick, Disney character Wreck-It Ralph and Valve's Team Fortress 2 Character.
- The first three trailers of All-Stars Racing Transformed use the song "Promises" by Nero for the BGM. All the trailers after the August trailer use a generic techno beat.
- All-Stars Racing Transformed is the second Sonic game to have a trailer that uses non-Sega music, the first being Sonic Generations, which had trailers that used the songs "Tenderoni" by Kele for the Gameplay/Green Hill trailer and "Na Na Na" by My Chemical Romance for the City Escape trailer.
- Although Beat appeared in the first All-Stars Racing game with his Jet Set Radio Future design, he appears in All-Stars Racing Transformed with his original design from Jet Set Radio. but a bit shorter in height
- The karts in the game have undergone a radical design change, probably due to the transformation mechanics in this game. Notable examples include Sonic's Speed Star, which now has sharper angles, different wheels, and less "Sonic spines"; Amy's car loses the tire cover, gets a bigger wind shield, and becomes rounded; and Doctor Eggman's monster truck is now a six-wheeled red "tank". Every racer now has a kart, a tank-like vehicle, or a quad bike instead of a bi-plane (e.g. Tails' Tornado Racer) or a motorcycle (e.g. Shadow's Dark Rider).
- This is the first Sonic the Hedgehog game (as well as the first spin-off title) on the PlayStation Vita (not counting PSP re-releases on the PlayStation Network) and the Wii U..
- At the end of the Comic-Con 2012 trailer and during the Danica Patrick trailer, some of Sonic's voice clips from Sonic Generations are used. The same applies for Doctor Eggman.
- Wreck-It Ralph, from the 2012 Disney film of the same name, is a playable character in the game, which is likely a reference to the fact that in the film, Ralph "game jumps" through different arcade games. The game including Ralph might reference the fact that Sonic, Dr. Eggman, and Tails are in the Wreck-It Ralph movie.
- The tracks on this game are split up into eras, like on Generations.
- With the exception of Tails and Amigo, all of the characters that appear on Transformed's cover also appear on Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing cover.
- Similarly, Aiai is the only non-Sonic character on Transformed's cover.
- This is the first Sonic game to have a guest character that is not a video game character.
- This is also the first Sonic game to feature a real-life celebrity as a playable character.
- It is noticeable that Danica Patrick has the Hot Wheels and GoDaddy logos on her car.
- This is the first Sonic game since Sonic and the Black Knight to get a Everyone 10+ ESRB rating.
- Ocean View is the only new-stage in Transformed that has been based off a stage (that stage being Seaside Hill) previous used on a SEGA All-Stars Racing track(s), which is Whale Lagoon, Lost Palace, and Ocean Ruin.
- Grand Prix 5 is the only Grand prix that contains Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing tracks.
- This is the second time that PS3 owners do not get Exclusive character.
- Big the Cat is the only playable Sonic character from SEGA All-Stars Racing that does not appear in Transformed.
- So far, this is the first Sonic game to have PC Exclusive Content.
For the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions for Transformed, IGN had gave Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed an 8.6 score, saying that it is better than several of the racing games of 2012 and that it is a true arcade-like racing game, but not as fresh as Mario Kart 7. The second review that came out was from UK's official Nintendo Magazine giving it an average score of only 62% as the reviewer quotes:
The early excitement of the transformations doesn’t make up for an interminable world tournament, poor local multiplayer and uninspiring weapons. The mixture of Sega and Sumo (with a hint of Bizarre) should have made for a game that was as accomplished as it was nostalgic. Instead, it just feels pallid.
Whereas Eurogamer gave the game a well score of 9/10 saying This manages to be more than just a tribute to the great and good of Sega's past - it does enough to earn its own place alongside them..
For more: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed/Gallery.
Artwork and Concepts
- ↑ http://revision3.com/rev3gamesoriginals/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.summerofsonic.com/news/summer-of-sonic-2012-exclusive-nights-and-reala-are-playable-characters-in-sonic-all-stars-racings-transformed
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/08/gum-joins-the-all-stars-racing-transformed-lineup/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/10/time-to-go-ape-meemee-joins-asrt/
- ↑ http://www.gamezone.com/products/sonic-sega-all-stars-racing/news/nascar-s-danica-patrick-joins-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-cast
- ↑ http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/07/13/comic-con-how-wreck-it-ralph-infiltrated-the-game-industry/
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2012/11/14/first-video-shows-the-latest-unlockable-of-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2012/11/12/rumor-a-new-racer-and-two-new-tracks-from-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-leaked/
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/racing/
- ↑ http://blogs.sega.com/category/sonic-the-hedgehog/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/