The U78-X/D "Diablon" was a prototype energy-charged weapon built by the Guardian Units of Nations and one of the final bosses in Shadow the Hedgehog. It took the form of a large red mecha that was piloted by the Commander (possibly remotely) and fought alongside Sonic the Hedgehog against Shadow the Hedgehog after the dark mission was completed in the levels GUN Fortress, Black Comet, and Final Haunt in story mode. Both Sonic the Hedgehog and Diablon were defeated by the Ultimate Life form by using the latter's weaknesses against it.
Shadow the HedgehogEdit
The Commander used Diablon to try and avenge those who died on the Space Colony ARK (Including Maria Robotnik and his family) by fighting alongside Sonic in the hopes of taking down Shadow, whom he viewed as responsible for the ARK's incident. The duo fought well, but they were both defeated at the Ultimate Life form's hands by exploiting Diablon's weaknesses.
G.U.N. Fortress BossEdit
After destroying the three Mother Computers in G.U.N.'s last stronghold on the entire planet, Sonic and Diablon confront Shadow to stop him in the Earth's last stand. After the fall of Earth's last heroes Shadow's inner turmoil drives him insane and regresses into the omnicidal living weapon of mass destruction that Professor Gerald Robotnik reprogramed him to be and vows to use the Chaos Emeralds to destroy the Earth.
Sonic and Diablon confront Shadow after he fights off G.U.N.'s counterattack on the Black Comet. After failing to compensate for the counterattack's failure, Shadow becomes Black Doom's servant proving that he believes Black Doom's propaganda that human are evil and will use the Chaos Emeralds to conquer Earth and turn it into a dark empire.
Shadow is confronted by Sonic and Diablon after turning on the Black Comet's Defensive Energy Shield and question Shadow on why he would turn against Earth at the last minute and helping the Black Arms when their defeat was seemingly imminent whom then replies that his purpose for "siding" with the Black Arms was to oppose Sonic himself and prove his superiority. After defeating the duo, Shadow declares final victory over Sonic and uses the Chaos Emeralds to become the strongest hedgehog in the world.
Diablon was fitted with an electromagnetic barrier that, when activated, deflected most projectiles, including firearm shots, laser blasts and even physical blows. In terms of weaponry, it had a laser cannon secured on its forehead that could fire long-ranged laser beams in any direction, and also had a chargeable Antimatter Cannon which could destroy easily damaged objects in a large dome-shaped radius around Diablon after charging up enough energy. Apart from that, the only other abilities Diablon was seen to use were hovering and moving around in the air by using its jet boosters, and swiping at enemies with its hands. It's stated in game that Diablon was a prototype and possibly not yet fully equiped.
Though Diablon's electromagnetic barrier could deflect various assa, when the barrier was shut down so Diablon itself could strike its foe, it was considered "nothing but mere scrap iron" left wide open to firearm and physical attacks. The head appeared to be its weak-point, as Black Doom ordered Shadow to strike it. It was also vulnerable to Chaos Blast attacks, even with its barrier in place. However, at the beginning of the fight, the head is too high to reach by simply jumping, so players must try and use the Homing Attack when Sonic jumps to propel Shadow high enough to hit the robot's head.
During the boss battle Sonic & Diablon, Diablon is the actual boss, Sonic cannot be damaged but can be knocked down. Shadow's guide during this battle is Doom's Eye.
You must use the Homing Attack at Sonic while Sonic is jumping to bounce off Sonic to reach and attack Diablon for the first quarter of the fight. Once ⅛ of Diablon's health is depleted, his repulsers will fail, allowing the player to attack without having to hit Sonic first. He will use more attacks and have a shield around him. He is vulnerable as he attacks, so hit Diablon while he is attacking. When he is says "Charge complete," get him to start using it and once he says "Antimatter cannon. Fire!" run out of the line representing the range of it. Watch out for Sonic, he will try to use homing attack on Shadow. Jump to reflect his homing attack. When your dark gauge is full, use it as many times as you can, because Chaos Blast can pierce Diablon's shield. Or you can grab a weapon when your dark gauge is full and exploit both your invincibility and unlimited ammunition.
Shadow can obtain a pistol around the room if you destroy the correct box. This is not necessary, but can be useful if your dark gauge is full which will give unlimited ammo. You can deal more damage this way than using Chaos Blast. This cannot pierce through his shield, so just fire as fast as you can when it's down.
- In all three endings in which Diablon was defeated, it was seen disabled but intact. Its current status is unknown, as none of the optional Shadow the Hedgehog endings have been confirmed as canon.
- Even though the boss title is called "Sonic & Diablon", the real boss is Diablon, since Sonic can't be damaged, but is an obstacle; in fact, Sonic serves as an assistance to defeat Diablon.
- Interestingly when you try to shoot at Sonic he will dodge left and right the same way as Shadow when dodging left or right while strafing.
- Strangely, when you try to let Sonic chase you by going circles at Diablon, he will continue to run around the arena after the player stop moving and he will not harm the player during this process.
- Although the Commander shouts "Antimatter Cannon, fire!" before he releases a blast of some sort of energy, the cannon is not likely to fire actual antimatter.
- Antimatter destroys everything it comes in contact with unless it's in the form of charged particles. Even so, the blast would still disintegrate everything it touched that wasn't already made of antimatter, including Shadow, Sonic, and the Diablon itself.
- Additionally, antimatter costs millions of dollars just to create milligrams of it and it is unlikely that even G.U.N. has enough money to create enough for one attack, let alone multiple.
- Sometimes near the end of the battle, Sonic will 'hide' under Diablon and not attack any longer. This may explain why he is seen lying barely underneath it in the ending cutscenes.
Diablon's name is derived from the Spanish word for devil, diablo. Perhaps coincidentally, whenever the Commander takes a swipe at Shadow in Diablon, he says "Hold still, you devil!"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shadow the Hedgehog Black Doom: "Without the electromagnetic barrier in place, the prototype weapon is nothing but mere scrap iron."
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog Black Doom: "That energy-charged weapon is something of a nuisance."
- ↑ Boss Battle against Sonic & Diablon after the GUN Fortress level.
- ↑ Boss Battle against Sonic & Diablon after the Black Comet level.
- ↑ Boss Battle against Sonic & Diablon after the Final Haunt level.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Cutscene from Shadow the Hedgehog.
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog The Commander: "This is for my family... and for Maria!"
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog The Commander: [To Shadow.] "YOU! You're the one who destroyed the ARK and killed everyone on it! It's time to settle this once and for all!"
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog Black Doom: "That weapon has an electromagnetic barrier that deflects firearm attacks."
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog Black Doom: "The laser weapon can fire in any direction."
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog The Commander: "Antimatter cannon, fire!"
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog The Commander: "Energy charge commencing!"
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog Black Doom: "Disable the barrier's generator, and aim for the head!"
- ↑ Shadow the Hedgehog "GUN Commander: (after taking a swipe at Shadow) Hold still, you devil!"