- For other subjects with the same name, see Sonic Boom (disambiguation).
The logo for Sonic Boom.
|Number of episodes||
Sonic Boom is a French-American CGI-animated television series developed by Sega of America in collaboration with OuiDo! Productions, based on the Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise created by Sega. Sonic Boom is the fifth animated television series based on the Sonic franchise, following Sonic X, the second series developed in France following Sonic Underground, and the first television series in the franchise to be produced in computer-generated animation and in high definition.
The series was released on November 8, 2014 in the U.S. on Cartoon Network and is set for release on November 19 in France on Canal J. The Show will also launch in Spring 2015 on the French children's network Gulli, Middle East, and with other territories to follow by Fall 2015. The series is a part of the Sonic Boom spin-off franchise, which consists also of two video games, a comic book series and a toyline.
The series is aimed at children, and centers around Sonic and his friends Tails, Amy, Knuckles, and Sticks, and their never ending search for adventure and their battles with their arch nemesis Doctor Eggman. Other characters, both new and old, also join the ensemble.
The Sonic Boom animated series was first announced in October 2013, revealing a teaser image featuring the show's four main protagonists, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, in silhouette form. The series, which will consist of 52 eleven-minute episodes with 11 minutes of running time each, is co-produced by Sega of America Inc. and OuiDo! Productions and is being developed by Evan Baily, Donna Friedman Mier, and Sandrine Nguyen, with Baily and Bill Freiberger as showrunners, under the supervision of Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka to ensure that it's true to the Sonic characters and universe. Mike Banker will also assist with writing the television series. Episodes are now under production. On February 6, 2014, Sega revealed the first trailer for the series, showcasing the new designs for the characters.
Many of the current voice actors for the Sonic the Hedgehog video game series will return to voice the characters of the series, including Roger Craig Smith as Sonic, Travis Willingham as Knuckles, Cindy Robinson as Amy, and Mike Pollock returning as Dr. Eggman, while voice actress Colleen Villard will be succeeding Kate Higgins in the role of Tails. The series will also introduce a new character named Sticks the Badger, a crazy and paranoid hunter who has been living alone in the wilderness for many years before meeting Sonic and his friends, who is voiced by Nika Futterman.
In an interview with Polygon, Iizuka stated the series came about as a desire to appeal more to Western territories, following the 2003 Japanese anime series, Sonic X, with Iizuka also stating that the franchise will run in parallel with the 'Modern' series of Sonic the Hedgehog games. Baily has stated the series will be a mixture of action and comedy, featuring an episodic structure. On October 4, 2014, Sega announced the air date of the series in the United States to be November 8, 2014.
Cast and Characters
- Roger Craig Smith as Sonic the Hedgehog/UT
- Colleen Villard as Miles "Tails" Prower
- Travis Willingham as Knuckles the Echidna
- Cindy Robinson as Amy Rose/Perci
- Nika Futterman as Sticks the Badger
- Mike Pollock as Dr. Eggman/Fastidious Beaver/Mayor Fink
- Kirk Thornton as Orbot/Shadow the Hedgehog
- Wally Wingert as Cubot
- Metal Sonic
The TV series is an ensemble comedy revolving around Sonic and his friends Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks that pokes fun at action-adventure storytelling, but still manages to deliver plenty of adrenaline. It is set in a wide-open world, where most of the characters live in and around a Village. This vast landscape is filled with jungles, mountains, undersea civilizations, cloud cities and all kinds of other environments.
- This is the first Sonic the Hedgehog television show to have fully computer-generated (CG) animation.
- The intro sequence for the show in the United Sates is actually a shorten version of the actual intro sequence. However, the full intro sequence is used in France.
- Although it has been confirmed that OuiDO! is doing the production for the show, the first reveal of the show said that it was being done by Genao Productions.
- This is the second Sonic television show to be a comedy; the first is Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- This is the third Sonic the Hedgehog animation to be produced by Sega; the first being Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie and the second being Sonic X.
- Much similar to the canon of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series, every episode will be a standalone.
- This is the first Sonic TV series to be produced in HD and widescreen.
- It is the longest time to wait for a new show in the series - 8 years passed from the original airing of the last episode of Sonic X to air the first episode of Sonic Boom.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Kellie (29 May 2014). Introducing Sticks to the Sonic Boom Franchise. Retrieved on 17 June 2014.
- ↑ 
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Timeline Photos - Sonic Boom Air Date. Sega Corporation. Retrieved on 4 October 2014.
- ↑ Canal J : «Sonic Boom» débarque le 19 novembre (French). Nore&Press-média+ (3 November 2014). Retrieved on 4 November 2014.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Kellie (2 October 2013). Sonic Boom (Working Title) - A New Animated Series Coming Fall 2014. Retrieved on 4 October 2013.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic Boom (2014-) - Full Cast & Crew. Retrieved on 17 June 2014.
- ↑ Tristan Oliver (13 December 2013). Database Reveals More Sonic Boom TV Writing, Producing Credits. Retrieved on 13 December 2013.
- ↑ Sonic Boom™ - TV Series Trailer. YouTube (6 February 2014). Retrieved on 6 February 2014.
- ↑ SEGA Launches New Franchise Strategy for Sonic the Hedgehog with Sonic Boom. Sega.com (6 February 2014). Retrieved on 6 February 2014.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Parker, Kellie (25 February 2014). Go Behind the Scenes with Sonic Boom. Sega Blog. Sega. Retrieved on 25 February 2014.
- ↑ Timeline Photos - Sonic the Hedgehog. Retrieved on 18 December 2013.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog official Twitter. Retrieved on 2014-26-02.
- ↑ Busis, Hillary (29 May 2014). Meet Sonic the Hedgehog's new pal, Sticks the Jungle Badger -- EXCLUSIVE. Polygon. Retrieved on 29 May 2014.
- ↑ Corriea, Alexa (6 February 2014). Why Sega handed Sonic over to Western studios and gave him a scarf. Polygon. Retrieved on 6 February 2014.
- ↑ Sonic Boom Interview with Evan Baily. NintendoWorldReport (12 February 2014). Retrieved on 14 February 2014.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ErinFitzgerald/status/532619622332112896
- ↑ https://twitter.com/RedHeadSaidProd/status/532617067480879104
- ↑ Sonic Boom Sticks Announcement (29 May 2014). Retrieved on 29 May 2014.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Doctor MK (25 February 2014). Sonic Boom Behind the Scenes: English VAs, Orbot & Cubot Confirmed. Retrieved on 5 March 2014.
- ↑ Doctor MK (13 February 2014). Sonic Boom TV world to “reset” in every episode. Retrieved on 14 February 2014.