- For the move, see Sonic Drift (move).
Sonic Drift (ソニックドリフト Sonikku Dorifuto?) is a kart racing game developed and released by Sega. It was released only in Japan for the Sega Game Gear in 18 March 1994. It features Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Amy Rose and Dr. Eggman as playable characters with their vehicles. It was the first game where Amy Rose was a playable character, and her car returns with her (though changed) in Sonic R.
The game got later a sequel, Sonic Drift 2, which got an international release unlike its prequel. Although Sonic Drift was later ported for few compilations such as Sonic Mega Collection. Since it was never released outside Japan, the digital instruction manual was in Japanese in all versions of compilations.
Gameplay consists of four characters racing around a circuit collecting rings and power-ups.
The different modes in Sonic Drift are to enter the Chaos GP, which is an all-out race for the Chaos Emeralds. Other modes include Free Run, which allows you to race against the clock and Versus mode if linked onto another Game Gear or controller.
|Sonic the Hedgehog||Cyclone kart||Dash|
|Miles "Tails" Prower||MTP-01 Wheelwind||Jump|
|Dr. Eggman||Egg Typhoon-gou||Mine|
|Amy Rose||Breeze||Heart Attack|
The courses in Sonic Drift takes place to the zones from the original 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog. Each Zone has three different versions, one each for the three different GPs (Green, Yellow and Red: Green being the easiest, Yellow being Medium, and red being the hardest).
The game received poor reception. Many fans despise the controls and courses, while others complain about the small cast available.
- The invincible theme is an 8-bit sped up version of "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" from Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- Amy Rose's car in the game has appeared in Kazunori Yamauchi's Motor Toon Grand Prix released later in the year, only driven by Captain Rock and Red.
- All of the zones from the original Sonic the Hedgehog (not counting the Final Zone) make an appearance in this game.
- Tails' new F-1 Racecar for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed greatly resembles his MTP-01 Wheel Wind from this game.
- In Amy Rose's artwork, the words "Sonic Drift" can been seen written on her umbrella.
- All of the vehicle names in the game are related to wind.