|Sonic Drift 2|
Sonic Drift 2 is the sequel to Sonic Drift. It was released in Japan for the Sega Game Gear in March 17, 1995. Unlike its predecessor, it was released internationally. The European version was released that same month as Sonic Drift Racing (although the title screen still refers to it as Sonic Drift 2), and the North American release in November 1995. It added three characters: Knuckles the Echidna, Fang the Sniper, and Metal Sonic. Sonic Drift 2 was the first game to feature Metal Sonic and Nack the Weasel as playable characters.
In the game, Chaos Emeralds are awarded for winning races. If Sonic, Tails, Amy or Knuckles collect all six in the Blue GP, they will face Dr. Robotnik (known to his fellow racers as the "Eggman") in a final race around the Death Egg. If Robotnik, Metal Sonic or Fang collect all six in the Blue GP, they will face Sonic in the final race.
Start your engines! Sonic and company seek even a greater speed in the second Chaos Grand Prix. Hone your drift techniques and take advantage of the special powers to become the champion of all the circuits.
|Sonic the Hedgehog||Cyclone||A High-Speed Dash that greatly increases Sonic's speed for about five seconds.|
|Miles "Tails" Prower||MTP-02 Wheelwind S7||
A Flying Jump, similar to the jump given from driving over a Spring.
The ability to throw Land Mines onto the track, which explode and immediately stop any racers that drive into them.
The ability to summon and throw small Hearts onto the track, which don't do damage, but greatly slow down and reverse the controls of any racer that drives into them.
|Metal Sonic||Blue Devil||A High-Speed Dash similar to that of Sonic, except with greatly increased Power and Acceleration. However, it's so powerful, it requires 3 Rings to use, instead of the usual 2.|
|Fang the Sniper||Marvelous Queen||The ability to toss Oil Balls onto the track, which cause any racers that drive over them to slip, lose control, and eventually spin out.|
|Knuckles the Echidna||Tempest||
The ability to Punch any nearby racers, causing them to drop a Ring, and grind them to a complete stop. If none are in the vicinity, a Flying Jump, similar to that of Tails, making Knuckles the only playable character in the game with two Special Abilities.
Several of the courses in Sonic Drift 2 are named after zones from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (including the Emerald Hill Zone and the Casino Night Zone, among others). In addition, Ice Cap is a reference to IceCap Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, released a year earlier. Iron Ruin has been seen as a heads up to Scrap Brain Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, released four years earlier.
Interestingly, the game is somewhat harder than the first one, as the courses have more tricks and the A.I. is more aggressive than the original. The player also has to worry if the road is an on-road course or an off-road course, which can utilize pits on the side or main track.
|Purple GP||White GP||Blue GP|
- This is the first game released outside of Japan to identify the character of Dr. Robotnik as Eggman.
- Despite the fact that the original Sonic Drift was only released in Japan, this game was still released in the US as a sequel without any change in the title whatsoever (probably confusing many American gamers).
- Knuckles' name was spelled "Knucles" on the character screen due to space limitations, despite the fact that he was often nicknamed "Knuckle" in Japanese manuals and could have fit the letter limit.
- Sonic's car might be based off a 1992 Ferrari F40 or 1993 fourth generation Chevrolet Camaro .
- Tails' car is based off various Caterham models
- Knuckles' car is based on AMC General's Hummer H1.
- All of the vehicles, with the exception of Blue Devil and Marvelous Queen, are named in relation to wind or air.
- Fang is the only character to not appear on the North American and European box art, but a part of his vehicle can be seen.
- In Sonic Drift 2, the invincible theme is from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- During the final one-on-one race, an 8-bit mix of the standard boss theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles is played.