The app icon of Sonic Jump.
Sonic Jump is a downloadable game developed by Hardlight Studio. It was released in 2012 by Sega for mobile applications and since the release, the game has had updates with new characters, zones and modes. It is the spiritual successor to the 2005 mobile phone game with the same name.
Dr. Eggman kidnaps animal friends, cages them in the prison unit of his Egg Mobile and flies with them high into the sky. When the chosen playable character witnesses the kidnapping, he/she decides to follow and stop the doctor to free the animal friends from their prisons.
Like in the original Sonic Jump game, the goal is to get to the Goal Plate at the end of each act by jumping up from one platform to another. Like normally in Sonic games, collecting rings will protect the player from Badniks or spikes. The only way the player can defeat Badniks is to attack their underside. However, if the playable character falls off-screen, the stage is restarted at the beginning of the act. Also, as the player bounces higher, the camera follows as well and does not scroll back down if the player does fall down. There are different types of platforms, as the more sensitive ones will collapse when the player jumps off or even step on them. Each playable character has their own abilities to survive from many situations.
In addition to normal rings, the game has three collectible Red Star Rings per act. The game has springs which bounce the player higher. The game has also monitors, which usually contain different kinds of shields, bombs, magnets or shoes. There are also ring banks, which deposit the rings that the player has collected. With these rings, the player can purchase various items from the in-game store like characters, power-ups or wallpapers. The player can also pay to purchase more rings or characters.
The game has two modes: Story and Arcade. Story mode includes 48 levels, as each zone contains twelve acts and follows the game's plot. The story mode has also three bonus missions per act. The arcade mode is an infinite challenge, which only ends when the player falls or dies by hitting badnik or spikes. The player can challenge other players in Arcade mode to get the highest score on the leaderboards.
It was announced that the game will have free updates, including more playable characters and zones.
Arcade Mode contains endless versions of the various levels which only end when the player falls or dies by hitting badnik or spikes without holding Rings. The player can challenge other players in Arcade mode to get the highest score on the leaderboards. Once a Zone is unlocked in Story Mode, it also becomes available in Arcade Mode. Each Zone comes with a preset leaderboard, consisting of height records for both playable and non-playable characters for the player to surpass. The preset leaderboards are the same for every Zone in the game.
|Icon||Name||Unlocking Requirement||Abilities||Description||Quotes at the End of an Act|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||None||His love of speed makes Sonic the fastest.||
|Miles "Tails" Prower||Purchase for 2500 rings at level 17||
||Twin tail gliding gives Tails a controlled descent.||
|Knuckles the Echidna||Purchase for 2500 rings at level 20||
||Knuckles powers his way quickly to the top.||
|Amy Rose||Purchase for 2500 rings at level 25||
||Smash enemies with Amy's Piko Piko Hammer.||
|Blaze the Cat||None (unlocked during the Global Challenge to jump 384,403 km to the moon)||
||Boost upwards with Blaze's fire-spin.||
|Rouge the Bat||Purchase for 2500 rings at level 28||
||Rouge uses her wings for additional hover control.||
|Silver the Hedgehog||Purchase for 2500 rings at level 30||
||Silver produces a protective psychic shield when levitating.||
- Electric Egg Mobile
- Electric Egg Mobile equipped with lasers
- Electric Egg Mobile equipped with rockets
- Electric Egg Mobile equipped with bombs
- Electric Egg Mobile equipped with rockets and lasers
|Green Hill Zone||Default|
|Mountain Zone||Clear the first Boss Act of Green Hill Zone|
|Jungle Zone||Clear the first Boss Act of Mountain Zone|
|Blue Sky Zone||Clear the first Boss Act of Jungle Zone|
|Mechanical Zone||Clear the first Boss Act of Blue Sky Zone|
Reception for Sonic Jump has been mostly positive, scoring 77/100 from Metacritic based on 13 reviews.
The game has been downloaded at least 8 million times.
- The first DLC of game was released on 26 November 2012. It added Amy Rose as a playable character, Blue Sky Zone and a new mode known as Global Challenge, which required players to collectively jump high enough to reach the moon. Upon clearing this challenge, Blaze the Cat was unlocked as a playable character.
- This game has often been incorrectly identified as a Doodle Jump clone. This is invalid, because the original Sonic Jump was released in 2005 (2007 elsewhere). Doodle Jump came out four years later in 2009 while the sequel of Sonic Jump, Sonic Jump 2 came out on 2008.
- Unlike the normal Sonic level routine, this game has eleven acts per Zone (twelve after the Boss update).
- Silver the Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat were added as DLC on 19 December 2012.
- This update, titled Boss Battles, made act 6 of every zone another Boss Battle, and added an eleventh act to make up for it.
- Cosmic Zone is the only zone not appearing in this remake, but there is a music track and an icon (see right) hinting Cosmic Zone hidden in the game's files.
- Athough it is an app, this is the only game in the series where Rouge and Silver appear and Shadow does not.
- Assets found in the game's files hint at future playability for the characters Shadow, Cream and Vector.
- However, Hardlight stated on Facebook that they have no plans to put additional characters in the game.
- ↑ Sonic Jump. IGN. Retrieved on 30 December 2014.
- ↑ Eric Abent (21 December 2012). Sega launches Sonic Jump on Google Play Store. Android Community. Retrieved on 30 December 2014.
- ↑ Sonic Jump iOS. Metacritic. Retrieved on 30 December 2014.
- ↑ Sinan Kubba (12 July 2013). Sonic's still a big winner on mobile. Joystiq. Retrieved on 6 January 2015.
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=472187286250073&set=a.188286361306835.46633.176427729159365&type=1&theater
|Sonic Jump (2012)|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Blaze | Rouge | Silver | Dr. Robotnik | Flicky | Pocky | Cucky | Picky | Pecky|
|Zones||Green Hill Zone | Mountain Zone | Jungle Zone | Blue Sky Zone | Mechanical Zone|
|Enemies||Bat Brain | Bomb | Bubbles | Buzz Bomber | Caterkiller | Crabmeat | E-06 Bladed Spinner | Spikes|
|Other||Egg Mobile | Gallery | Goal Plate | Item Box (Shield, Magnetic Shield, Bomb, Ring Time) | Ranks | Red Star Ring | Ring | Spikes | Spring|