Sonic Mania Adventures is a 2D cartoon animated series released for free on YouTube over the course of 2018. The series serves as a continuation of Sonic Mania, picking up just after the ending of Sonic Forces from Classic Sonic's perspective. Each episode was uploaded in a roughly monthly schedule.
Sonic Mania Adventures began production back in 2017, with Tyson Hesse serving as the art director for the series. The series was first revealed at the "Gotta Go Fast" Sonic panel at SXSW in March 2018 with some concept art and a teaser trailer. There, it was revealed that the series would consist of five short animated episodes that would be released online on the official Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube channel for everyone to see for free. The series was to follow a monthly release, with exclusive Sonic Mania Adventures merchandise being made available in America, Australia and New Zealand at www.shop.sega.com for each episode as it goes live.
It had been confirmed that the series was to feature no dialogue; every plot element would be conveyed using visual clues.
On 19 December 2018 —five months after the previous episode— a sixth episode was announced to release on 20 December 2018 as a Christmas special.
The series begins with Sonic the Hedgehog returning to his world from the events of Sonic Forces. Arriving on Angel Island, Sonic notices some strange holes in the ground before seeing Dr. Eggman fly by with a Capsule full of Flickies. After Sonic finds the Capsule and sets the Animals free, he is caught in a trap set by Eggman. Fortunately, Sonic lures Eggman into his own trap as well with a Chaos Emerald and escapes on his own. As Sonic is persuaded by Eggman to free him, however, he learns from Eggman's dropped handheld that the doctor is looking for the Chaos Emeralds and that he already has four of them, with two of the Emeralds still missing. Seeing that Eggman planned to take his Emerald, Sonic leaves Eggman to get blown up by his trap.
Sonic soon reunites with Tails, and together the two of them prevent Eggman from getting another Chaos Emerald. Due to his setbacks, Eggman decides to go after the Master Emerald instead and steals the Tornado, which is waiting on the beach. Meanwhile, somewhere in the woods, Knuckles is protecting the Master Emerald. Suddenly, Ray the Flying Squirrel, who is looking for his friend, Mighty the Armadillo, approaches Knuckles to ask him if he had seen his friend. After a brief misunderstanding, Knuckles chucks Ray away from his location. Immediately after, Knuckles tries to protect the Master Emerald from three Badniks, but while he is doing so, the Master Emerald is sneakily stolen by Eggman, who uses the Tornado to fool Knuckles into believing that Sonic is the thief.
Not long after, Ray comes under attack by Metal Sonic, but is saved at the last possible moment by the sudden appearance of Mighty. Detecting the last missing Chaos Emerald in Mighty's possession, Metal Sonic forces Mighty to give it up in return for Ray's safety. With the last missing Chaos Emerald in its possession, Metal Sonic heads towards Eggman's base on Angel Island. At the same time, Ray spots Sonic and Tails, as well as Knuckles, heading towards the base too, prompting him and Mighty to join the final showdown.
Just as Sonic and Tails arrive inside Eggman's base, Metal Sonic steals their two Chaos Emeralds. Eggman then gives his five Chaos Emeralds to Metal Sonic, which was his plan all along. With the seven Emeralds, Metal Sonic receives a massive power boost, which he uses to overpower Sonic. Fortunately for Sonic, Ray and Mighty arrive, and Mighty saves him. The four heroes then team up to defeat Metal Sonic. In the end, Tails uses his intellect to reject the Chaos Emeralds from Metal Sonic. However, Eggman promptly uses the Master Emerald as a substitute. Before Metal Sonic can power up however, Knuckles arrives and punches both Metal Sonic and Eggman into the distance before taking the Master Emerald with him. With nothing left to do, Sonic, Tails, Mighty and Ray close off their adventure with a picnic.
Eggman and Metal Sonic land some ways away in a wooded area. Eggman attempts to wake up Metal Sonic but the robot does not respond, causing Eggman to leave in frustration. Metal Sonic lays where he landed until winter arrives. At that time, Amy Rose trips over the snow-covered Metal Sonic. Metal Sonic, now reactivated, turns to look at her, causing Amy back away in panic. However Metal Sonic is still too broken to get up. Just then a nearby palm tree begins to crack and fall, which prompts Amy to save Metal Sonic. However she still does not trust him and hits him with her hammer until she realizes he cannot fight back. Amy, feeling sorry for Metal Sonic, picks him up and takes him back to Eggman's lair. She dresses him up with a bow and a flower before ringing on Eggman's doorbell and hiding behind a rock. Eggman, thinking Metal Sonic has come home to mend things over, takes him back inside. Amy feels good about reuniting the pair but Sonic, who was standing next to her the entire time, is more skeptical. Amy simply gives Sonic a flower before running off.
- Sonic the Hedgehog – A blue hedgehog and the titular protagonist of Sonic Mania Adventures. Having just returned from his latest adventure, Sonic finds himself once again on the move to stop the evil plans of Dr. Eggman.
- Miles "Tails" Prower – A two-tailed fox. He is Sonic's best friend and sidekick.
- Knuckles the Echidna – A red echidna. He is the guardian of Angel Island and its treasure. Knuckles is also an ally of Sonic, although he still does not fully trust the hedgehog.
- Dr. Eggman – An evil human scientist and Sonic's archnemesis. While Sonic was gone, Eggman has been busy being up to his old tricks. This time, he is cooking up an unknown scheme that involves the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald.
- Metal Sonic – Dr. Eggman's evil henchman and Sonic's robotic doppelgänger.
- Ray the Flying Squirrel – A young flyer who is searching for his best friend, Mighty.
- Mighty the Armadillo – A red armadillo. After going missing for a while, he returns with a Chaos Emerald in his possession.
- Flicky – A species of blue birds who inhabit Sonic's world. They are frequently captured by Eggman to power his Badniks, often having to be saved by Sonic and his allies.
- Amy Rose – A young, female pink hedgehog who finds an abandoned Metal Sonic in the woods.
List of episodes
|No. overall||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original airdate||Prod. code|
|1||1||"Sonic Returns"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||30 March 2018||N/A|
|Welcome back to Angel Island with Sonic Mania Adventures!
Sonic has just arrived back after the events of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, but something is already amiss. What are the huge holes being dug in the ground? And why is Eggman already capturing more animals? The story begins here, with the first of five parts in: "Sonic Returns"!
|2||2||"Sonic and Tails"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||30 April 2018||N/A|
|Miles “Tails” Prower, at your service! When Sonic shows up to let Tails know about Dr. Eggman’s newest plot, a tremor rocks the beach. As some mysteries are solved and new ones begin, Sonic will learn that to succeed, sometimes all you need is a helping hand.|
|3||3||"& Knuckles"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||31 May 2018||N/A|
|Knuckles the Echidna is the Guardian of the Master Emerald, but ever since Dr. Eggman and Sonic first appeared on Angel Island, trouble has followed. Knuckles still doesn’t fully trust Sonic, so he’s been watching over the Emerald constantly to ensure nobody – robot or hedgehog – gets their hands on it. Now, just as Knuckles finds a safe location, a mysterious figure appears in the shadows…|
|4||4||"Mighty and Ray"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||22 June 2018||N/A|
|Ray the Flying Squirrel has been looking for his best friend, Mighty the Armadillo, but he can’t find him anywhere! As he continues his search, he hears something nearby. Could this finally be Mighty, or is it something far more dangerous?|
|5||5||"Metal Mayhem"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||17 July 2018||N/A|
|The decisive battle looms. With the fate of the Chaos Emeralds at stake, it’s up to Sonic, Tails, Mighty, and Ray to unite against a superpowered Metal Sonic. It's time for Part 5 of Sonic Mania Adventures: Metal Mayhem!|
|6||6||"From: A. Rose"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||20 December 2018||N/A|
|Metal Sonic and Eggman crash into the jungle after being defeated. Broken, abandoned, and alone as seasons pass and the skies turn cold, a surprise appearance may change Metal Sonic's fate forever.|
In addition to the serialized release, on the same day Metal Mayhem released a separate video titled The Complete Mini-Series was also uploaded. Although promoted as just the five individual episodes strung together in a single video, it actually featured animation touch-ups and additional effects on several sequences from the first four episodes, as well as some minor music differences to accommodate the edits joining some of the episodes together.
|No. overall||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original airdate||Prod. code|
|1-5||1||"The Complete Mini-Series"||Tyson Hesse||Tyson Hesse||17 July 2018||N/A|
|The full series, back-to-back! Join Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray as they take on the villainous Dr. Eggman, and one of his most powerful creations!|
- Director: Tyson Hesse
- Pre-Production: Tyson Hesse
- Original Character Design: Tyson Hesse
- Character Design/Animation Director: Tyson Hesse
- Art Director: Tyson Hesse
- Unit Production Manager: Jasmin Hernandez
- Executive Producer - Neko Productions: Lirit Rosenweig Topaz
- Animation Director: Liron Topaz
- Storyboard: Tyson Hesse
- Environment Design and Paint: Alexandra "Lexxy" Douglas, Vivian Ng
- Model Sheet Cleanup: Cory Holmes
- Special Thanks: Mariel Cartwright, J.N. Wiedle, Brady Hartel
- Production Manager: Celina La Flaca
- Animation Services Provided by: Neko Productions
- Artists: Sylwia Bomba, Victor Camargo, Michelle Giraldo M, Boyan Mishev, Lukas Romero, Warren Romero, Isaac Rubio, Ilaria Sposetti, Shoshy Topaz, Tammy Zeitler
- Technical Director: Or Ofri
- Office Manager: Ariyah Cohen
- Production Executive: Toni Pace Carstenen
- Music Score Composed by: Tee Lopes
- Sound Effects: Jameson Sutton
- Executive Producers: Takashi Iizuka, Kazuyuki Hoshino
- Co-Executive Producers: Yusuke Suai, Ivo Gerscovich, Hitoshi Okuno
- Creative Consultant: Aaron Webber
- End Credits Music: "Friends" by Hyper Potions
- Special Thanks: Sega of America, "Sonic Pillar" Team
- In Association with: Neko Productions
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 SSF1991 (16 March 2018). Sonic SXSW 2018: Sonic Mania Adventures Short Animations Announced. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 17 March 2018.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic Mania Adventures: Part 1. YouTube. Sonic the Hedgehog (30 March 2018). Retrieved on 30 March 2018. “Exclusive Sonic Mania Adventures merch is available now at www.shop.sega.com , and we’ll be making new merch for each part as it goes live! The SEGA Shop is only available in the Americas, AUS, and NZ. Finally, a HUGE THANK YOU to the many people and teams who have been working hard on Sonic Mania Adventures since last year. This is just the beginning, but a great many people have poured their hearts and souls into this animation, and we hope everyone watching it will enjoy it as much as we do.”
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (19 December 2018). Retrieved on 19 December 2018.