Sonic Mania Plus is an expanded version of Sonic Mania. It will be released on 17 July 2018 both physically for the Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and as downloadable content to digital copies of the original game for all platforms.
When creating Sonic Mania Plus, the game started out as a digital-only title, but requests from both inside and outside the company made Sonic Team release it physically as well. Because it would be difficult to sell the physical version with the same price as the digital however, the producers added extra elements to compensate the price hike, like new characters and Encore Mode. When it came to deciding the additional features, Sonic Team followed Sonic Mania's way of giving stimulus to fans’ curiosities and expectations by adding Ray and Mighty, two highly requested characters, to the game, despite the two characters being considered "sealed characters" by Takashi Iizuka. When the team had to decide on Mighty and Ray's special actions, Mighty received his "Hammer Drop" after the team reflected on his "strong guy" setting and hard shell, while Ray received his "Air Glide" as a callback to his species.
- Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel will be featured as playable characters. Like the original playable characters, Mighty and Ray play similarly to Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. These two characters also have moves exclusive to themselves: Mighty has the Hammer Drop which let him do a downward Spin Attack that can destroy obstacles, and Ray has the Air Glide which lets him glide large distances through midair.
- A fully playable Angel Island will be added as a brand new zone.
- The Competition Mode will be expanded to allow up to four players.
- An "Encore Mode" will be added to the game. This mode features remixed Zones with visual changes, such as different color pallets and gimmicks. Players can also switch between the five playable characters when the button prompt shows up.
- A save and playback function of speedrun attempts.
- Optimized difficulty for boss fights.
With the announcement of Sonic Mania Plus, a wave of promotional material was announced. Those buying the physical version of Sonic Mania Plus will receive a holographic slip cover, a reversible SEGA Genesis or Sega Mega Drive-themed sleeve (for the United States and Europe, respectively), and a 32-page art book.
Exclusive to Japan, the physical release of Sonic Mania Plus will include limited edition packages that feature artbooks and the game's soundtrack on CDs. This soundtrack will be a double disk album with fifty-four tracks, which not only include all the songs featured on Data Discs' Sonic Mania album release (which contained all of the original tracks in the game and will be back in stock for the launch of Sonic Mania Plus), it also holds nearly all of the “re-imagined” classic Zone songs. In addition, there are four Sonic Mania Plus bonus tracks included, alongside all three Hyper Potions tracks constituting "Friends" and both versions of "Time Trials", including "Time Trial Plus" with Crush 40’s Jun Senoue on guitar.
- This is the first game that Mighty returns as a playable character since Knuckles' Chaotix in 1995, while Ray has not been playable in any game since his debut in SegaSonic the Hedgehog in 1993.
- In addition, this is the first 2D sidescroller Sonic game that Ray appears in.
- Some players accidentally got an unintended patch for Sonic Mania for PlayStation 4 in the UK on April 17, 2018. The patch added transitions to stages that lacked them in the original (such as going from Flying Battery Zone to Press Garden Zone), options to use the No Save mode special abilities, a no time limit mode, a completely redesigned Metal Sonic boss, new menus, and the option to download the Encore DLC (which currently is not functioning).
- Sonic Mania Plus's trailer theme song ("Time Trial Plus") is a modification of "Time Trials" by Hyper Potions featuring Jun Senoue on guitars. This is the second time the trio have performed together, if including a live performance at Magfest 2018.
- Mighty and Ray's high speed running animations resemble the ones they performed in SegaSonic the Hedgehog.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sonic Mania Plus - Official Trailer. YouTube. Sega (25 April 2018). Retrieved on 25 April 2018. “Sonic Mania Plus arrives July 17th! Check out the game’s new features, a first look at Mighty and Ray, and treat your ears to a special remix of “Time Trials” by Hyper Potions and Jun Senoue!
Sonic Mania Plus is available both as a physical copy and as DLC if you already own the game. The physical edition comes with special packaging, a reversible cover, and a 32 Page Art Book. It was the #1 request from our fans, so we worked really hard to make it something special for you all, and we hope you’ll love it!
Special thanks to Tyson Hesse for the gorgeous animation, and Jun Senoue and Hyper Potions for their remix ("Time Trials Plus"!)”
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (16 March 2018). Retrieved on 17 March 2018. “Sonic Mania goes packaged with Sonic Mania Plus! Mighty and Ray join as playable characters, new Encore mode, 4P Competition mode, Holographic packaging, 32-page art book, and more. Summer 2018.”
- ↑ Stenbuck, Kite (26 April 2018). Takashi Iizuka Explains the Additions of Mighty and Ray in the Sonic Mania Plus Interview With Famitsu. PlayStationLifeStyle.net. Retrieved on 9 May 2018.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic Mania Plus article (Japanese). Famitsu. Enterbrain, Tokuma. April 2018. p. 24.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic Mania Plus article (Japanese). Famitsu. Enterbrain, Tokuma. April 2018. p. 25.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 SSF1991 (31 March 2018). Amazon Germany Listing Contains New Sonic Mania Plus Info. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 1 April 2018.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sonic Mania official website (Japanese). Sega. Archived from the original on 12 May 2018. Retrieved on 27 April 2018.
- ↑ Hyper Potion on Twitter. Twitter (21 January 2018). Retrieved on 25 April 2018. “Had such a fun time at MAGFest, thanks again to everyone that came out for our set. We want to thank @crush40 again for performing with us, such an honor!!! Also, if you guys have been waiting for our new song w/ @itsQORA, it's coming out Tuesday!!!”