This prototype of Sonic Mega Collection for Nintendo GameCube was released by DRX during 23 February 2008. The build date for this prototype is 17 December 2001, almost a year before the retail release. All the games that appear in the final version are already compiled in this game collection. However, some things are changed in the menus in terms of graphics and listings.
- The title screen is different than that in the final release.
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD is on the list of available games and is unlocked from startup. When selecting it, the player is redirected back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog, as no ISO for this game is found on the disc. However, the European instruction manual (the one with "Amy" rather than "Princess Sally") is on the disc.
- Two listings for "Sonic the Movie 1" and "Sonic the Movie 2" are written. These slots were meant for the two parts of Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie. The original OVA in Japan was a two-part anime, so it was most likely going to be separated like the original Japanese version. There are no files found in the ISO pertaining to the OVA series.
- Inside the disc image contains CVS information. However, this CVS is for another game. In fact, much of the disc space is solely for this game, even in the final.
- An uncompressed Sonic the Hedgehog 3 ROM (sonic3.bin) can be found in the root of the disc.
- There's is a directory called "test002", which seems to be used for testing models to convert across other formats. There is a .max file, a .bat file, as well as many other files.