The Sonic News Network Chat is a feature on the wiki where users can talk in real time to other users. The chat is designed to give members of the community a place to talk about anything, even topics not relating to Sonic or the wiki. It serves as a social hub and lets users get to know each other better.
As with the rest of the site, the chat feature has its own rules and guidelines. All of the main site policies remain in effect on the chat, including:
- Practice open-mindedness and assume good faith
- Be nice
- Don't feed the trolls
- No personal attacks
In a social setting, these key guidelines are even more important.
Chat also has some additional rules of its own. These are:
- Please avoid vulgarity and swearing. Mild profanity may be tolerated so long as it's used sporadically and is not directed at another user.
- Keep the chat appropriate. Eschew controversial or sexual topics.
- Do not persistently use ALL CAPS as this indicates shouting (and shouting all the time is rude and disruptive).
- Please do not give away personal information, either about yourself or anyone else.
- It is acceptable to reveal certain aspects of yourself at your own discretion (i.e your name or what city you live in). Refrain from giving away information such as phone numbers or your home address in the chat. Do not pester other users into revealing personal details about themselves.
- Do not use the main chat for role-playing. We only have one chat feature, and using it for role-playing means that other editors cannot use it. If you would like to roleplay, please take it somewhere else or use the private message feature of the chat.
- Role-playing is defined as the acting out or performance of a particular role or participating in a role-play game. Expressing yourself with real actions is acceptable so long as it does not turn into a game or disrupt the chat.
- Please do not use the chat to advertise. If you want to share links with the community on chat, give a description about what you are linking to.
- Please do not share links that contain vulgar language or images.
- Try to avoid making multiple posts to say one thing. Doing this excessively is considered spam.
- Do not pretend to be another user.
These rules are enforced both by the wiki's admins and specially-appointed users called chat moderators (often referred to as "chat mods"). Admins and chat mods have the ability to ban users on chat, meaning that they are prevented from using the chat feature for a specified amount of time. Users who break the rules will be warned in the first instance and may be 'kicked' if they continue to break the rules after warnings. A kick will cause the user's window to close and refresh, which is also helpful if the user is experiencing connection issues.
If you wish to dispute a warning you have been given, do so calmly and politely. Arguing is counterproductive and may lead to the ban you're trying to avoid.
If you've been banned and you want to oppose the decision, you can still contact an admin on their talk page. Do not involve other users, but explain to an admin what happened and why you feel the ban should be overturned. The admin will consider your case and respond in due time.
If you witness rule breaking when no admin or chat mod is present, copy and paste the text from the chat window onto the talk page of an administrator. They will investigate.
We hope to see you on the chat soon!
Emoticons are images that are used on the chat to express emotions, and various other purposes. The Sonic News Network has a system where anyone can request for an emoticon to be added to the chat. Only administrators can add emoticons, so that if an emoticon is deemed too inappropriate for chat, they will not add it. Emoticons also have certain restrictions. The following are additional rules regarding chat emoticons:
- Emoticons must be 19 pixels by 19 pixels or smaller. Any emoticon above this size may not be added to chat.
- Images that move as an animation may be exempt from this rule.
- Emoticons must comply with our art policies. For more information, see our policy page.
- Emoticons may not have above five triggers dedicated to it.
- Emoticons that are of poor image quality will not be added.
- If the users on chat feel that an emoticon is being used in a fashion that break our policies, it will be removed.
A list of emoticons can be found at MediaWiki:Emoticons.
Appointed at Sonic News Network:Requests for User Rights, chat moderators are experienced and trustworthy users who are assigned to moderate the chat. These users, along with administrators, have access to the kick and ban features to help moderate the chat. Chat moderators and administrators are signified by a Master Emerald image on the user list in chat. They can also unban a user from chat. To see a list of all chat moderators, including inactive chat moderators, see Special:Listusers/chatmoderator.