The style of pages on Sonic News Network is largely up to the editors involved. However, this page contains a list of some guidelines that have proven to be suitable through frequent use.
- Refer occasionally to the Wikipedia Wikipedia:Manual of Style, which has been extensively tested and refined. See also the Central Wikia guidelines on spelling and grammar.
- If you are making a page that is similar in scope to one that already exists, consider imitating the style of the existing page.
- If existing styles do not allow you to present information on a page in the best possible way, create your own. Any style is acceptable as long as you convey the information appropriately and the page looks good.
- Maintain a neutral point of view in articles.
- Try to avoid using the first- or second-person in articles. For example, instead of saying "The robot shoots fireballs at you", say "The robot shoots fireballs at Sonic" or "The robot shoots fireballs at the player."
- Page names should be singular, unless otherwise accepted.
- Page titles and headings should be in sentence case (a leading capital letter at the start of the title only) instead of title case (capital letters at the beginning of every word).
- Banner templates can be placed at the top of some articles, e.g. to indicate the continuity to which the subject of the article belongs. At the discretion of users, Template:Real World can be used on pages relating to the real world.
- "Plot" is to be used instead of "Storyline" for sections entailing events or plot.
Copying from Wikipedia and Mobius Encyclopaedia
- Material may be used from Wikipedia or Mobius Encyclopaedia (the Archie Sonic wiki) due to the licenses used by these sites, but any material copied from Wikipedia or Mobius Encyclopaedia must be appropriately marked and linked to indicate where the information came from.
- If pages copied directly, the banner templates Template:enWP or Template:enME should be used on pages copied from Wikipedia or Mobius Encyclopaedia respectively. These templates should remain on the page until it has been edited sufficiently to ensure that most of the content was created by Sonic News Network users.
- If any information is used from Wikipedia, Mobius Encyclopaedia, or any other affiliated wiki, then a link must be placed to the relevant page on that wiki. This is usually done in an 'External links' section at the very bottom of the page. Template:WP link and Template:ME link (as well as Template:STC link and others) have been created to ensure that such links are presented consistently. These links should remain on the page indefinitely.
Lists versus articles
- In Sonic News Network, we prefer that each character/object/location/etc should have its own article, rather than being grouped into long lists. Individual articles are more conducive to people adding information, and as this is a Sonic Wiki, we want as much information as possible!
- If you feel it is appropriate, you can use lists that link to more specific articles. However, any explanatory paragraphs in long lists should be kept brief, with the majority of information in the destination pages.
- If you can write a page about even the most obscure character, by all means go ahead! (If it's really obscure, make sure you say where you got the information from.)
- Characters are allowed to have a seperate article for each continuity. For example, a game article, Bean the Dynamite, and an Archie article, Bean the Dynamite (Archie). This is for two reasons:
- Some characters have vastly different and mutually contradictory portrayals in particular continuites, so it makes sense for them to be addressed seperately.
- Pragmatically, pages that deal with multiple continuities tend to get so long that it's a chore to edit or read them. If you find an article that you think could do with being chopped into more digestable pieces, don't hesitate to post a suggestion on the discussion page, or bring it up with one of SNN's sysops.
- Ages for game characters should be those from Sonic Channel where given. Characters from other continuities may have different ages, which should only be given if confirmed in their respective canons.
- Template:Character can be used to add infoboxes to character pages, but this may not be appropriate for all characters.
- To add a reference to an article, simply type <ref>[Link to source here.]</ref>. If you need help with this, see Help:Citing sources or ask an administrator.
|About||Community Portal||Administrators (requests)||Affiliates|