The Sonic Riders series is a collection of racing games in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The series features Team Sonic partaking in Extreme Gear racing against their rivals the Babylon Rogues in various competitions such as the EX World Grand Prix. The Sonic Riders series is noticeable for introducing the Extreme Gear racing sport and Babylon lore.
List of games
As a racing game, the objective is to pass the finishing line first before the other competition, though different objectives may be available depending on the available challenges. Players choose one of various playable characters and then one of several racing vehicles called Extreme Gear, each with various stats and abilities. Extreme Gear would require Air to function or force the rider to run slower on foot. Air can be restored with various tricks of ramps or by riding on others' turbulance, the latter being a more effective method of both gaining air as well as advancing past whomever produced the slipstream. In the later games however, slipstreams became limited and was available in certain situations.
The Rings in a race serves to increase and refills the Air Gauge when a certain number of them have been collected but can be lost when the player is attacked or falls off the course. The player keeps all Rings collected at the end of a race which then serves as the in-game currency used to purchase additional Extreme Gears.
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity drops the concept of Air for Gravity Points, allowing players to ride indefinitely unless using Gravity Actions. Sonic Free Riders return the use of air, but with full-body motion control.
Power-up Items can be obtained and activated from touching Item Boxes in the course which include from granting Rings or Air/Gravity Points, weapons to attack other racers with or traps that hinder the racer.
- In the Sonic Riders series, everyone wears exclusive sports attire when racing, such as new shoes, gloves or eye-protection. Amy Rose and Dr. Eggman who appear in usual clothes in cutscenes also switch to their sport attire when riding Extreme Gear.
- Sega Superstars can be unlocked and playable in the Sonic Riders games along with Sega-themed courses:
- NiGHTS, Ulala and AiAi are unlockable in Sonic Riders as well as courses Sega Carnival and Sega Illusion. Opa Opa is also one of the available Extreme Gears to purchase in the game for 2,500 Rings.
- Amigo, NiGHTS and Billy Hatcher are unlockable in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity as well as the Sega themed courses '80s Boulevard and '90s Boulevard.
- Sonic Free Riders is the only Sonic Riders game without additional Sega characters or courses.