The Sonic Riders series is a collection of racing games in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The series features Team Sonic partaking in Extreme Gear racing against their rivals the Babylon Rogues in various competitions such as the EX World Grand Prix. The Sonic Riders series is noticeable for introducing the Extreme Gear racing sport and Babylon lore.
List of games
As a racing game, the objective is to pass the finishing line first before the other competition, though different objectives maybe available depending on the available challenges. Extreme Gear would require air to function or force the rider to run slower on foot. Air can be restored with various tricks of ramps or by riding on others turbulance, the later being a more effective method of both gaining air as well as advancing past whomever produced the slipstream. However in later games slipstreams become less useful.
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity drops the concept of air for Gravity Points, allowing players to ride indefinately unless using Gravity Actions. Sonic Free Riders return the use of air, but with full-body motion control.
- In the Sonic Riders series, everyone wears exclusive sports attire when racing, such as new shoes, gloves or eye-protection. Amy Rose and Dr. Eggman who appear in usual clothes in cutscenes also switch to their sport attire when riding Extreme Gear.
- Sega Superstars can be unlocked and playable in the Sonic Riders games along with Sega-themed courses:
- NiGHTS, Ulala and AiAi are unlockable in Sonic Riders as well as courses Sega Carnival and Sega Illusion. Opa Opa is also one of the available Extreme Gears to purchase in the game for 2,500 Rings.
- Amigo, NiGHTS and Billy Hatcher are unlockable in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity as well as the Sega themed courses '80s Boulevard and '90s Boulevard.
- Sonic Free Riders is the only Sonic Riders game without additional Sega characters or courses.