The Sonic Says (misspelled as Sonic Sez by Tails) segments are always seen at the end of an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog TV episode. The purpose of Sonic Says is to teach kids about various things, from "don't use a gun" to "paying attention" to "staying in school".
After the unaired pilot, these segments always start out with Tails painting "Sonic Sez" on a big orange sign with blue paint. Then Sonic pops out from a hole in the center of the sign, looks at the spelling, grabs the brush from Tails' hand and corrects the misspelled "Sez" to "Says". After that, he gives the audience a thumbs up.
In the game Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, there are tips given to players about racing, controls, or some humor during the loading times. It is the only game that gives tribute to Sonic Says.
Episodes and segments
|Episode number||Original airdate||Episode name||
Sonic Says segment
|N/A||Unaired (released March 4, 2009)||Full Pilot Episode||Crossing the street|
|1||September 6, 1993||"Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad"||Calling 911 (emergency services)|
|2||September 7, 1993||"Subterranean Sonic"||Sharing|
|3||September 8, 1993||"Lovesick Sonic"||Sexual harassment|
|4||September 9, 1993||"Slowwww Going"||Everyone has something special to offer|
|5||September 10, 1993||"High Stakes Sonic"||Dares|
|6||September 13, 1993||"Sonic Breakout"||Graffiti|
|7||September 14, 1993||"Trail of the Missing Tails"||Remembering your phone number|
|8||September 15, 1993||"Close Encounter of the Sonic Kind"||Sunburn|
|9||September 16, 1993||"Momma Robotnik's Birthday"||Trees|
|10||September 17, 1993||"Big Daddy"||Going out|
|11||September 20, 1993||"Sonic's Song"||Hearing|
|12||September 21, 1993||"Birth of a Salesman"||False advertising|
|13||September 22, 1993||"Best Hedgehog"||Reading|
|14||September 23, 1993||"The Robotnik Express"||Strangers|
|15||September 24, 1993||"Too Tall Tails"||Healthy diets|
|16||September 27, 1993||"Tails' New Home"||Running away from home|
|17||September 28, 1993||"Over the Hill Hero"||Elders|
|18||September 29, 1993||"Blank-Headed Eagle"||Wearing a seatbelt|
|19||September 30, 1993||"The Mystery of the Missing Hi-tops"||Stealing|
|20||October 1, 1993||"So Long Sucker"||Pets|
|21||October 4, 1993||"Sonic Gets Thrashed"||Rubbish|
|22||October 5, 1993||"Pseudo Sonic"||Poison ivy|
|23||October 6, 1993||"Grounder the Genius"||Using your brain|
|24||October 7, 1993||"Tails in Charge"||Opening your door to strangers|
|25||October 8, 1993||"Sno Problem"||Bicycle safety check|
|26||October 11, 1993||"Submerged Sonic"||Shallow water|
|27||October 12, 1993||"Boogey-Mania"||Sleep|
|28||October 13, 1993||"Musta Been a Beautiful Baby"||Tumble dryers|
|29||October 14, 1993||"Robotnik, Jr."||Peer pressure|
|30||October 15, 1993||"Full Tilt Tails"||Smoking|
|31||October 18, 1993||"Mac-Hopper"||Currents and riptides|
|32||October 19, 1993||"Momma Robotnik Returns"||Obeying the law|
|33||October 20, 1993||"Spaceman Sonic"||Colds|
|34||October 21, 1993||"Mad Mike, Da Bear Warrior"||Medicine|
|35||October 22, 1993||"The Last Resort"||Walking alone|
|36||October 25, 1993||"Robotnik's Rival"||Cheating|
|37||October 26, 1993||"The Magic Hassle"||Money|
|38||October 27, 1993||"Sonic the Matchmaker"||Playground safety|
|39||October 28, 1993||"Tails Prevails"||Boredom|
|40||October 29, 1993||"Zoobotnik"||Wild animals|
|41||November 1, 1993||"Attack on the Pinball Fortress"||Stupidity|
|42||November 2, 1993||"Mass Transit Trouble"||Bicycle safety rules|
|43||November 3, 1993||"Coachnik"||Warming up before exercise|
|44||November 4, 1993||"Untouchable Sonic"||Gangs|
|45||November 5, 1993||"Super Robotnik"||Chemicals|
|46||November 8, 1993||"Robolympics"||Being active|
|47||November 9, 1993||"Magnificent Sonic"||Guns|
|48||November 10, 1993||"Black Bot the Pirate"||Caution with sharp objects|
|49||November 11, 1993||"Hedgehog of the "Hound" Table"||Swimming alone|
|50||November 12, 1993||"Robotnik's Pyramid Scheme"||Skateboard safety|
|51||November 15, 1993||"Prehistoric Sonic"||Electrical appliance safety|
|52||November 16, 1993||"Baby-Sitter Jitters"||Babysitting|
|53||November 17, 1993||"Honey, I Shrunk the Hedgehog"||Recycling|
|54||November 18, 1993||"Robotnikland"||Cooking|
|55||November 19, 1993||"The Mobius 5000"||Car safety|
|56||November 22, 1993||"The Little Merhog"||Matches|
|57||November 23, 1993||"Road Hog"||Calling for help|
|58||November 24, 1993||"The Robots' Robot"||Fire|
|59||November 25, 1993||"Tails' Tale"||Computers|
|60||November 26, 1993||"Hero of the Year"||Alcohol|
|61||November 29, 1993||"Fast and Easy"||Breakfast|
|62||November 30, 1993||"Lifestyles of the Sick and Twisted"||Vandalism|
|63||December 1, 1993||"Sonic is Running"||Tooth pain|
|64||December 2, 1993||"Robo-Ninjas"||Road safety|
|65||December 3, 1993||"Sonically Ever After"||Library|
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
During the loading times of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, various tips are given to players about the game, controls, tips and even humor at certain points. Here is a list of some of the tips:
- Play Grand Prix to attempt to win a cup over four races.
- Hit as many opponents as possible with items.
- Impacts while drifting will cancel tour accumulated Turbo-Boost.
- Hit an item case to win an item.
- Repeatedly tap the gas button whilst drifting to make even tighter turns.
- Mines can be dropped behind to take out trailing racers.
- Some objects can be destroyed with weapons or power-ups.
- Hi-Speed Shoes will give you a boost and can be used to smash through obstacles and racers.
- Perform an extra long drift to chrage the Turbo-Boost mutiple times.
- The K.O. Glove can rebound and be fired backwards as well as forwards.
- Music purchased from the SEGA Shop will become selectable in-game.
- While riding bikes, quickly press up-down to perform bike tricks on the ground.
- You can launch some weapons behind you–hold down and press the item button. Try it on with K.O. Gloves and Rockets.
- Courses purchased in the SEGA Shop can be played in single player or time trials.
- Link together air tricks to charge the Turbo-Boost mutiple times.
- The Mega-Horn will blast away any racers who are getting too close for comfort.
- The ChuChus might not take kindly to a big cat!
- All of your accumulated SEGA Miles go towards your license rank–try to earn the gold license!
- Perhaps certain actions in a race will award bonus SEGA Miles.
- Each vehicle plays a little differently. Find the vehicle that suits your play style.
- With your foot on the gas, steer and hold drift to power-slide.
- Try more vehicles by purchasing racers from the SEGA Shop!
- Keep drife held to keep power-sliding–to exit, release drift.
- You can use a level three Turbo-Boost to smash other racers out of the way.
- When not carrying a weapon or power-up, the item button will sound your horn.
- Tap the drift button while airborne to perform air tricks for a Turbo-Boost when you land.
- You can charge and release Turbo-Boost to smash through on-track hazards.
- The All-Star item gives each racer a unique attack. Try them all!
- Check out the SEGA Shop for bonus content!
- The shield will make you invincible for a short time and can take a hit for you.
- There sure are a lot of creatures at Curien Mansion–perhaps Zobio and Zobiko can persuade them to move on?
- Up to three friends can join you in split screen mode.
- The Confusing Star will lock-on and turn a nearby player's world upside-down!
- You can view all of your purchased goodies in your collection–you will find it in the License menu.
- Good ranks in missions will unlock new missions.
- Drift to charge the turbo red–then release drfit for level three boost.
- Time and release weapons to stop incoming attacks–try it with mines and Pocket Rainbows!
- A parody of Sonic Says was used in an episode of the popular animated TV show The Simpsons titled "That 90's Show" where the characters take advice from a billboard that reads "Sonic the Hedgehog says wait until marriage" (see Sonic Cameos). Sonic was proposing to Amy Rose on the billboard.
- The Sonic Says from Lovesick Sonic (on the subject of sexual harassment) has spawned a popular meme on YouTube with Sonic saying "That's no good!"
- The only Sonic Says segment where Sonic didn't appear is the one about elders (from "Over the Hill Hero").
- In the first episode of Sonic X, Sonic says "Kids, don't chase hedgehogs in Formula One race cars" which is probably a reference to Sonic Says.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, Sonic makes a cameo where he explains how 'game jumping' can lead to dangerous consequences, which may be a reference to Sonic Says.
- Many of Sonic Says segments are related to its episode's topic.