Sonic the Comic
- Editor: Andy Diggle
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Managing Editor: Steve MacManus
- Production: Sarah Colley
- Marketing Manager: Douglas Pocock
- Promotions: Michelle Brown
- Publisher: Rob McMenemy
- Managing Director: Julie Goldsmith
- Advertising: Steve Goldsmith
On the Floating Island, Knuckles is confronting Chaos who has come for the Chaos Emeralds, which he claims are his by right. Not far away, Tails and Amy are approaching the island in the Tornado, Amy subconsciously knowing something is very wrong. Back in the Emerald Chamber, Knuckles realizes there is only way to stop Chaos absorbing the Emeralds, though he is very hesitant to do so: Ejecting the Emeralds from the island. After some encouragement from Porker, Knuckles ejects the Emeralds and Chaos' howl of rage can be heard from outside the island. Meanwhile in the dark dimension, Grimer is watching the Emeralds' ejection, and Chaos' pursuit of them. This seems to spark something in Robotnik's mind, and he starts moving out of the dimension at long last, with a gleeful Grimer in tow.
Back on the Floating Island, Tails and Amy arrive too late, as Knuckles is having something of an emotional crisis having failed in his life's work. As the island starts to fall, he urges the remaining Freedom Fighters to leave, having no intention of leaving. He only accompanies them after Amy gives him a little persuasion with a iron bar, and the heroes only just manage to escape in the Tornado before it sinks below the ocean's surface. After landing, the Freedom Fighters muse upon what might happen when Chaos manages to track the Emeralds down, but are interrupted by an unseen voice vowing that they will think of something, because they always do. The gang swivel around to see none other than Sonic standing before them, vowing that this time he is back for good.
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Freedom Fighters
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Porker Lewis
- Keeping in line with the Freedom Fighters' updated designs to match their appearance in Sonic Adventure, Robotnik's changes his clothes to match his Sonic Adventure outfit.
- Nigel Kitching's script for this story bore the title "The Fall of the Floating Island".
- No explanation was given for what caused Sonic to come back.
- Knuckles - "Knuckles versus the Cybernik" (Sonic the Comic #52)
- Tails! - "Fox on the Run, Part 4" (Sonic the Comic #76)
- Sonic the Hedgehog - "The Rampage of Mekanik, Part 1" (Sonic the Comic #57)
- Speedlines: Speedlines is a Q&A format where Sonic answers fan questions. Letters include discussions about praise for Tails, a future Sonic and Knuckles team-up, fan characters, a "Sonic gang", and a possible review of Sonic Adventure (this review would never appear).
- Graphic Zone: The Graphic Zone features fan art from readers of the comics. This issue's theme is "Sonic and the Gang", featuring pictures of Sonic's friends. The owners of the featured art each won a Sonic the Hedgehog watch.
- Part three of a mega-sized pin-up.
- Issue 178 at the Sonic the Comic Wiki