|Sonic the Comic #29|
8 July 1994
Fleetway Editions Ltd
- Editor: Richard Burton
- Assistant Editor: Deborah Tate
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Back cover: Stephen Bliss
- Managing Editor: Steve MacManus
- Special Thanks to: Audrey Wong
- Publisher: Chris Power
Sonic the Hedgehog - "The Sentinel"
In Sonic's Secret Underground Base, the Kintobor Computer detects the statue by tapping into Doctor Robotnik's spy satellites. The other Freedom Fighters are busy, so Sonic decides to check it out on his own. He uses the team's Star Post to travel instantaneously to the ruin, and immediately assumes that the giant statue is a new type of Badnik.
Suddenly, Sonic is attacked by Whisps. He defeats them, freeing the trapped animals inside. A trap in one of the walls fires arrows at him, which he dodges, but in the process accidentally falls into the lake and sinks - and is then trapped under a toppled column! Even worse, he cannot reach any air bubbles!
The giant statue begins to move, holding Sonic in its hand. Sonic expects to be handed over to Robotnik, but the Sentinel claims not to know Robotnik. It was, it says, placed there by the Ancient Ones to guard the city. Its masters left the planet when the city began to sink, but the Sentinel itself was caught by a tremor and trapped. With nobody left to protect, and despite Sonic's pleas that it could help fight Robotnik, the Sentinel destroys itself, collapsing into rubble and sinking beneath the waves once more.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Kintobor Computer
- Sentinel (First appearance)
- Whisps (First appearance)
- Captive animals:
- A bear
- A canary
- A chicken
- It is revealed that Tails' adventures in the Nameless Zone, from the story "The Morbidden Hunt" that began in Sonic the Comic #28 and will end in Sonic the Comic #31, occur at the same time as this story.
- The alien "Ancient Ones" mentioned by the Sentinel are revealed in Sonic the Comic #109, "The Evil Empire, Part 2", to be the Drakon Empire.
- On the first page, an engraving can be seen on a sunken temple of a figure resembling Sonic riding a chariot. (This appeared almost 8 months before the game Sonic & Knuckles included an ancient engraving of Sonic on the walls of the Hidden Palace Zone.)
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #133.
Streets of Rage - "Skates' Story, Part 5"
- Script: Mark Millar
- Art: Peter Richardson
- Lettering: Tom Frame
Skates rushes through the city to get to the Princess Grace and find the bomb. On the boat, Axel, Max, and Blaze stop Mr. X from escaping. Mr. X is terrified, believing they'll be killed, but suddenly an explosion occurs just off the side of the boat. Skates has managed to find it and get rid of it! Their celebrations are cut short, however, when Mr. X asks if they defused the second bomb, which moments later explodes and destroys the ship.
Tails - "The Morbidden Hunt, Part 2"
Tails travels north towards Castle Morbidden, but en route he is attacked by a hungry Gryphon. Tails flees, but trips over a cliff and the Gryphon follows. Tails manages to fly away at the last minute but the Gryphon strikes the ground full force, knocking it out. Some nearby fox-centaurs (Ginny and Neddy) witness Tails' victory, and hail him as "Sir Tails". They take him back to the centaur village of Portstable and give him their fastest boat to take him north to Castle Morbidden, to rescue Jimmy and Jilly. Tails makes good time and reaches the shores below the castle, but is unable to stop. The boat is beached and Tails thrown inland, where the goblin Prince Catalus finds him...
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Ginny (Only appearance)
- Neddy (Only appearance)
- Other centaurs of Portstable (Only appearance)
- Prince Catalus
Pirate S.T.C. - "Pirate S.T.C., Part 2"
- Script: Stephen Bliss
- Art: Stephen Bliss
- Lettering: Steve Potter
Fezhead and Skull pull six TV slobs - Sackhead, Flame, Grrr, Bob and Dog (the chicken) - into their TV. After establishing that they are suitably stupid, Fezhead grabs a Sega Mega Drive controller and sends them into the mouth of Mission.
Bob, Grrr and Dog arrive in a world of happy bunnies (and a round, brown hedgehog) that turn into bubble bath containers when struck, only to be drunk by the giant Granee 8 Ball. Sackhead and Flame land in a tournament, where a diminutive green fighter runs away and a muscular man with one arm, a spoon, sandals, and a Viking hat (later revealed as Vangar the Spatula Constructor) says that the new arrivals are in big trouble.
- The brown hedgehog from Game One vaguely resembles Sonic's pre-transformation appearance from Sonic the Comic #8. His shoes also resemble Sonic's Power Sneakers.
- Vangar's T-shirt has a skull-and-crossbones on it, but the skull looks like Porker Lewis.
- Control Zone
- Review Zone (Streets of Rage 3, Shining Force 2, Marko's Magic Football)
- News Zone
- Graphic Zone - World Cup
- Q Zone (Jungle Book, FIFA Soccer, Lotus 2, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Shinobi 2, Aladdin, Batman, Bart vs the Space Mutants)
|Sonic the Comic|