|Sonic the Comic #39|
25 November 1994
Sonic sticker set
- Managing Editor: Richard Burton
- Editor: Deborah Tate
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Assistant Editor: Audrey Wong
- Publisher: Rob McMenemy
Sonic the Hedgehog - "Sonic No More"
Doctor Robotnik and Grimer use a special ray gun to transfer Sonic's powers into Robotnik, turning Sonic back to his original brown form and Robotnik into the blue, streamlined speedster. Sonic is completely out-matched by the superpowered Robotnik, but luckily Robotnik lets him go so that the people of Mobius can see what has become of their greatest hero.
Back at his secret base, Sonic tells the Freedom Fighters what has happened. Porker Lewis believes that Robotnik may have stolen an energy absorbing/transmitting device that had been invented by the famous Mobian physicist Professor Neinstein before his death in the previous month. Sonic decides he has to get his powers back on his own.
Sonic goes to confront Robotnik and Grimer, but Robotnik now feels the hedgehog is beneath his notice. He orders some passing Bat Brain badniks to attack Sonic, but they immediately attack Robotnik instead! Grimer undoes the energy transfer, turning Robotnik back to normal, and the badniks stop their attack... but Grimer has returned Sonic to normal as well! Sonic quickly destroys the badniks and the energy transmitter, and sends Robotnik on his way.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Porker Lewis
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Amy Rose
- Johnny Lightfoot
- Emerald Hill Folk:
- A chicken (Chirps)
- A bear
- In this issue, the Freedom Fighters are still based in Sonic's Secret Underground Base, meaning that this story must have taken place before Sonic the Comic #33, "Enter Knuckles, Part 1" (in fact, it must also have taken place before Sonic the Summer Special (1994), "Guardian of the Chaos Emeralds").
- The title of this story, "Sonic No More", is based on a famous Spider-Man story called "Spider-Man No More!", which eventually became the basis of the film Spider-Man 2.
- Writer Nigel Kitching criticised the art from this issue, and said that the story would have had more drama if it had been drawn by Richard Elson.
Eternal Champions - "Larson's Revenge, Part 3"
- Script: Michael Cook
- Art: Jon Haward
- Lettering: Tom Frame
Larcen Tyler breaks into jail into order to bust out Shadow Yamoto, aka the White Orchid. She goes with him, but reveals that she did not want to be rescued: she was confessing her crimes and implicating all the major organised crime gangs in the city. Now her testimony is worthless. They return to Larcen's apartment, only to find Mister Tagliani (the gang leader who originally killed Larcen) waiting for them with his goons. He wants his documents. Larcen and Shadow are captured.
Knuckles - "Carnival Night Conspiracy, Part 1"
Knuckles is heading back to the Floating Island aboard one of Doctor Robotnik's flying eggs, determined to rid his home of Robotnik's evil influence. Unfortunately, the egg's self-destruct mechanism activates and Robotnik appears on a video screen: the machine is his property, and his punishment for thieves is harsh. Robotnik says that it's the end of Knuckles, unless he's learned to fly, and Knuckles is forced to jump out of the craft moments before it explodes. Fortunately, while he can't fly, he can glide, and he's already above the Floating Island.
He glides over a massive casino park, called the Carnival Night City, opening soon. He has never seen it before, suspect's Robotnik's foul play, and is horrified that such a monstrosity has been built on an historic site! Having grown up alone on the Floating Island, he has no idea what the carnival is for. Landing in front of the entrance, he finds the place guarded by Troopers. While he could easily destroy them, he decides to tunnel in so as not to be noticed. Unfortunately, he is spotted on security footage by three figures who send a construction robot to fight him. Knuckles destroys the construction robot with a single punch.
Suddenly, a bullet ricochets off the wall beside him. Three figures on the rooftop are firing a gun at him! They believe he can't reach them, but he soon proves them wrong by scaling the building and kicking the gun out of their hand. Just then, the leader claims to finally recognise Knuckles. They introduce themselves as the Marxio Brothers, and Grouchio says they're going to make Knuckles an offer he can't refuse!
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Marxio Brothers (Grouchio, Chicio, Harpio)
- Construction robot
- This story follows on immediately from Sonic the Comic #38, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 2", after Knuckles flew away in one of Robotnik's flying eggs.
- Robotnik refers to Knuckles as his "former ally", referring to his deception of Knuckles between Sonic the Summer Special (1994), "Guardian of the Chaos Emeralds", and Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2".
- The Marxio Brothers last appeared in a main strip in "Casino Night", Sonic the Comic #18 and #19. (Grouchio refers to the events of this story when he orders Chicio not to mention the name Sonic in his presence.)
Decap Attack - "Who Killed Chuck? Part 6"
- Script: Nigel Kitching
- Art: Nigel Kitching
- Lettering: Steve Potter
In order to prevent Detective Case from arresting Chuck for the murder of the double glazing salesman (who was actually killed by Igor, resurrected by the Professor, and turned into Chuck), the Prof decides to erase Case's memory. He removes Case's brain, bashes it with a mallet, stretches it, bites it, dunks it in acid, whisks it, electrocutes it, and squeezes it through a laundry ringer.
Detective Case is sent on his way, none the wiser, but now sporting a scar around his head. However, when Igor sits down for breakfast he finds Case's brain on his plate! They sent the detective home with a grapefruit for a brain! Still, probably nobody will notice... except for Case's brain, who insists that they all accompany him to the station as soon as he can figure out how to move.
- Control Zone
- Review Zone (Ballz, Jungle Book)
- News Zone
- Q Zone (Cosmic Spacehead, Marko's Magic Football, Ren & Stimpy, Sonic the Hedgehog 3)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Message #128 "Re: Various Questions" by Nigel Kitching at sonicthecomic Yahoo! Group
|Sonic the Comic|