|Sonic the Comic #50|
28 April 1995
STC gold and silver tattoos
- Managing Editor: Richard Burton
- Editor: Deborah Tate
- Designers: Gary Knight
- Assistant Editor: Audrey Wong
- Publisher: Rob McMenemy
Sonic the Hedgehog - "Count Down to Disaster, Part 2"
Metallix is back, and has stolen the Master Emerald from the Emerald Chamber! He activates a teleporter, which beams him and the Emerald away, challenging Sonic and Knuckles to follow him, which they do. They materialise in the Sky Sanctuary Zone, but before they can get their bearings, Metallix has powered-up with the energy of the Master Emerald and charges at them, knocking Knuckles unconscious!
Metallix intends to destroy Sonic, seeking revenge for the death of his brother, the previous Metallix robot. Indeed, he seems to be superior to Sonic in every way, countering even Sonic's formidable speed. However, when his power runs low he needs to return to the Master Emerald for recharging... except Sonic gets there first. Absorbing the Emerald Energy himself, he transforms into the crazy Super Sonic. In this form, he destroys Metallix in mere moments, punching off the robot's head and then ripping apart its body.
Meanwhile, on the Death Egg, Grimer reports to Doctor Robotnik that they have lost contact with Metallix... but fortunately, the Master Emerald appears to have already been placed on the teleporter device...
Knuckles finally wakes up to see Super Sonic still tearing into the destroyed Metallix. However, seeing that the echidna is awake, Super Sonic turns his attentions on Knuckles, charging at him then pummelling him into the ground. As he does so, the Emerald power wears off, and he reverts back to normal Sonic again - unsure what's happening, Sonic asks if Knuckles is okay. He tries to explain that, as Super Sonic he lacks any control, but Knuckles doesn't care: the Master Emerald is gone! And the Sky Sanctuary is falling apart! A great thunderous noise can be heard in the distance: it's big, and it's coming straight for them!
- Sonic mentions that Metallix is supposed to be dead, referring to the events of Sonic the Comic #28, "The Sonic Terminator, Part 5". (An editorial comment refers to the whole "The Sonic Terminator" arc, from Sonic the Comic #24 to #28.) The Metallix in this issue reveals that the last Metallix robot was his brother.
- Metallix reveals that he is a member of "an elite brotherhood of Badniks", the first mention of the Brotherhood of Metallix.
- The thunderous noise at the end is revealed in the next issue to be the launch of the Death Egg.
- This episode, particularly Metallix's ability to power up by using the Master Emerald, is based on the Sky Sanctuary Zone boss battle against Mecha Sonic at the end of Knuckles' storyline in the game Sonic & Knuckles.
Shinobi - "Power Of The Elements, Part 4"
- Script: Alan McKenzie
- Art: Jon Haward
- Lettering: Tom Frame
Joe Musashi and the Roofworlders (led by Kotomi-sensei) battle against the Four Elements and their Yakuza allies. Kotomi-sensei blocks Fire's nerve pathways, then fights an infuriated Water. Musashi knocks out Air then battles Earth. He uses a magnesium pellet to blind Earth ("one element to fight another!") then kicks him off the roof - although he lands heavily on his feet. A recovered Fire and Water carry Air (still unconscious) and sound a retreat. The Yakuza fire covering shots, and hit Kotomi-sensei!
Tails in - "Zonerunner & The Big Freeze, Part 3"
Tails convinces Sab to spare the life of a repentant Sol Furic, Sab's former partner. She explains how she survived the explosion at the Flock's headquarters. The rest of the Flock were already in a secret tunnel, while Sab remained to program the floater drone that found Tails. The explosion threw her into the secret tunnel as well, after which she sent the floater drone to find Tails and the Flock sealed up the tunnel and left.
Sab, Sol and Tails make their way to the surface, which is frozen over and lies covered thick with snow. Nutzan Bolt now lives in a vast ice castle, and he has an invulnerable new body made of living ice.
When they reach the throne room, Nutzan Bolt effortlessly defeats Sab and Sol, their bullets bouncing off his body harmlessly. He knocks them both out with a punch. He also subdues Tails, pinning him against the wall...
- Sab mentions the floater drone that brought Tails to the Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic the Comic #48, "Zonerunner & The Big Freeze, Part 1".
- Sol Furic mentions his and Tails' escape from the mob, from the previous issue.
- As Nutzan Bolt effortlessly defeats his attackers, jets of flame from his nostrils begin to melt his lower jaw, foreshadowing his defeat in Sonic the Comic #51, "Zonerunner & The Big Freeze, Part 4". Also, Tails notices that Nutzan Bolt's head is boiling hot when he touches it.
- While fighting Nutzan Bolt, Tails thinks to himself that he is glad Sonic can't see him now. Notably, he does not use Sonic's name out loud until the next issue.
Captain Plunder - "Captain Plunder & His Sky Pirates, Part 4"
Captain Plunder and Simpson the Cat are escaping from Highview Prison through Gulch's Tunnel, just as Filch and the Sky Pirates are coming to rescue them. It's so dark that Plunder can't see. Simpson gets an idea, causing a lightbulb to appear above his head, which they then use for light.
Plunder and Simpson hear voices coming from a tunnel and quickly hide themselves (Simpson swallowing his own lightbulb to put it out). The voices in fact belong to the other Sky Pirates, who head back towards Plunder's cell, the two groups passing without noticing each other. When they are gone, Plunder comes out of hiding - still unaware that he was hiding from his own crew - and goes down the tunnel that they had originally emerged from.
The next day, Plunder's daring escape is on all the headlines (except for The Mobe, which instead goes for "Sonic the Hedgehog Ate My Hamster!").
Two days later, Plunder has returned to his base in the Mystic Cave Zone, but his crew are nowhere to be found. Finally, Filch returns. The crew were all captured during the rescue attempt. Filch only managed to escape because, as a ghost, he could walk through the wall.
An irate Plunder insists they must save his crew... until he realises that would mean sharing the treasure. Instead, he decides that he never liked that useless crew anyway and it's time to get a new crew! "Mobius hasn't heard the last of Captain Plunder!"
- Filch mentions the booty that the pirates recently stole from the Robotnicus, in Sonic the Comic #47, "Captain Plunder & His Sky Pirates, Part 1".
- After hiring a new crew (including the Professor), Plunder seeks out the Lost Treasure of Sandopolis, as shown in "Mystery of the Sandopolis Zone", from Sonic the Comic #47 and #48.
- Plunder's escape is mentioned in three newspapers: the Mobian Times, Mobian Mail, and Metropolis Zone News. It was not mentioned in The Mobe.
- The headline in The Mobe ("Sonic the Hedgehog Ate My Hamster!") is a reference to a real headline in British tabloid The Sun: "Freddie Starr ate my hamster".
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #200.
- Control Zone
- Review Zone (NBA Jam Tournament Edition, Beavis and Butthead)
- S.T.C. Star Pin-Up - Sonic and Tails!
- Graphic Zone - Easter
- Q Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Sonic the Comic #50 at Alternate Cover
|Sonic the Comic|