|Sonic the Comic #54|
23 June 1995
Fleetway Editions Ltd
- Managing Editor: Richard Burton
- Editor: Deborah Tate
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Assistant Editor: Audrey Wong
- Publisher: Rob McMenemy
Sonic the Hedgehog - "Beware Predicto!"
In Robotnik's Special Zone Headquarters, Doctor Robotnik and Grimer complete construction of the ultimate Trooper: Predicto! (Grimer named him.) Predicto has been programmed with all the information they possess on Sonic and the Freedom Fighters (and Knuckles), and is designed to anticipate their every move. He should be unstoppable in battle. Predicto calculates with 98% certainty that Sonic is in the Mushroom Valley on the Floating Island, and Robotnik sends him to destroy Sonic.
Predicto was correct, as Sonic and the Freedom Fighters have travelled to the Floating Island with the intention of enlisting Knuckles' aid in fighting Robotnik. They are suddenly attacked by Predicto, who in quick succession defeats Sonic, Tails, Porker Lewis, Johnny Lightfoot, and Amy Rose. He counter's Sonic's attempt to fight back, making the hedgehog run head-first into a tree. Just as he is about to crush Sonic with a rock, he predicts a 92% possibility of "local inhabitant" attempting sneak attack from below... and effortlessly pulls Knuckles out of the ground by the neck and tosses him helplessly away.
Once again, Predicto moves to kill Sonic, who decides that he cannot possibly win against such an advanced robot and gives up. This confuses Predicto, since Sonic will never surrender, which leads him to overload and self-destruct. Sonic explains to Tails that he'd never really give up, and that it was all a trick to confuse the computer brain.
Knuckles, annoyed that Sonic has once again brought trouble with him to the Floating Island, demands that they all leave. Amy comments that it looks like Sonic and Knuckles will never be friends, but Sonic tells her not to be so sure. After all, he's always unpredictable!
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Predicto (Only appearance)
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Amy Rose
- Porker Lewis
- Johnny Lightfoot
- Knuckles the Echidna
- The precise position of this story in the Sonic the Comic timeline is unclear. The following facts are known:
- It takes place after Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2", since Knuckles is no longer allied with Robotnik.
- It takes place before Sonic the Comic #53, "Total Chaotix, Part 1", since Robotnik's Special Zone Egg Fortress was abandoned in favour of Citadel Robotnik in the Metropolis Zone some time prior to that story (see "Total Chaotix, Part 2" in this issue, below).
- It probably takes place before Sonic the Comic #47, "Mystery of the Sandopolis Zone, Part 1", since in Sonic the Comic #53, "Disaster! Part 3" (the culmination of the story arc begun in #47), Knuckles surrounded the Floating Island with a forcefield designed to prevent Robotnik's forces (such as Predicto) from invading. It may also take place even earlier, prior to Sonic the Comic #37, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 1", since Knuckles implies in issue #47 that he and Sonic have not met since Sonic the Comic #38, "Robotnik's Revenge, Part 2".
- No Emerald Hill Folk appear in the Mushroom Valley, again suggesting that it takes place before issue #53, "Disaster! Part 3".
- Although it is not mentioned specifically, Predicto (as a specialised and highly advanced Trooper) may be a member of the Special Badnik Service.
Kid Chameleon - "Back to Unreality! Part 1"
- Script: Michael Cook
- Art: Brian Williamson/Steve White
- Lettering: Tom Frame
A fortnight since his previous adventure in Wildside (STC 7-12), Casey is avoiding gym class by playing computer games. His friend Suzi mentions that Brad is still missing (stuck in Wildside) and she asks Casey to find him. When he re-enters the arcade machine, the mysterious Voice once again welcomes him, referring to him as "Chameleon", and adding that he remains the only player to ever return from Wildside.
The virtual reality changes, and he finds himself in an abandoned London Underground station, attacked by giant rats. Speaking the word "Chameleon" he changes into the jet-boarding Skycutter. But while he can beat the rats in this form, things don't look good when four monsters (a wolfman, vampire, giant lizardman and fish beat) stand between him and the only telepad...
- Casey is playing Sonic Chaos at the beginning of the story.
Knuckles - "Total Chaotix, Part 2"
The Special Zone. Robotnik's Egg Fortress was believed deserted when the doctor moved his headquarters to the Metropolis Zone. However, it is revealed that the Egg Fortress is still occupied when two Metallix robots fly out of it and speed through the Special Zone's bizarre landscape. They have a positive fix on the target, and intend to effect capture...
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Special Zone, Knuckles the Echidna has run afoul of Chaotix and the Omni-Viewer, who believe Knuckles is still working with Robotnik. He attempts to explain the truth, to no avail. The team leader, Vector the Crocodile, directs his teammate. First, Mighty the Armadillo leaps at Knuckles and smashes the small planetoid on which the echidna was standing. Knuckles leaps out of the way and glides to safety, but impulsive Mighty has nothing left to stand on and begins to fall... until rescued by the upbeat-yet-irritating Charmy Bee, who carries him to safety.
Knuckles lands on a floating cube. He thinks that there's no point reasoning with Chaotix, who are obviously all crazy. Just then, he is ambushed by Espio the Chameleon, who uses his powers to blend into the background. Espio tries to pin Knuckles until Nack the Weasel can finish him off, but Knuckles is able to get free and knock them both aside in one sweep.
Finally, Vector steps in himself, attempting to catch Knuckles between his powerful jaws. However, Knuckles is able to dodge the attack, then deliver an uppercut to Vector's chin, causing him to bite his own tongue. Suddenly, Omni reappears, telling Chaotix to stop the fight. He's been checking out Knuckles' story, and it's true! Knuckles turned on Robotnik when he found out he was being duped.
Just then, Charmy notices a couple of dark spots on Omni's screen, and Mighty agrees. Omni is shocked - nobody should be able to get into his personal workspace without his permission! As the two figures become clearer, Knuckles realizes that they look familiar: "It's Metallix! And now there's two of him!"
- Knuckles the Echidna
- It is revealed that Robotnik has abandoned his Egg Fortress in favour of Citadel Robotnik in the Metropolis Zone. Citadel Robotnik first appears in Sonic the Comic #55, "The Great Escape! Part 1".
- Knuckles last saw Metallix in Sonic the Comic #50, "Count Down to Disaster, Part 2". Two Metallix robots appear now, after the version from #50 revealed that he was a member of "an elite brotherhood of badniks".
- The Metallix robots in this issue resemble the Sonic the Hedgehog CD version that appeared in "The Sonic Terminator" from Sonic the Comic #24 to Sonic the Comic #28.
- Omni and Knuckles refer to Knuckles turning on Robotnik, which occurred in Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2".
- Charmy Bee's name is spelled "Charmee" in this issue.
Sparkster - "Last of the Rocket Knights, Part 2
- Script: Nigel Kitching
- Art: Keith Page
- Lettering: Steve Potter
The world of Elhorn was once a realm of tranquility, ruled by a gentle princess. Now it is ruled out of Castle Zebulan by King Gedol, and hatred and despair rule the land. Sparkster sneaks into the chamber of the old ruler (and his old girlfriend), Princess Shelly, who is shocked to see him. As he approaches her, a fog lifts from her mind. She reveals that Gedol has cast an evil spell of corruption over her and the entire population of Elhorn, suppressing their good natures and making them bad. Sparkster is protected by his magic armour, as are those he stands close to. However, when he moves away from her, the spell of corruption affects Shelly again and she summons the guards. As Sparkster fights off the guards, Shelly introduces him to the all-powerful and hideous King Gedol... her future husband!
- Control Zone
- Review Zone (Knuckles' Chaotix)
- Graphic Zone - Wimbledon Tennis
- Q Zone (Mickey Mania)