|Sonic the Comic|
1 March 1996
Fleetway Editions Ltd
Scratch 'n' Sniff sticker
- Editor: Deborah Tate
- Assistant Editor: Audrey Wong
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Editorial Assistance: William Potter
- Managing Editor: Richard Burton
- Production: Sarah Colley
- Marketing Manager: Gary Bell
Sonic the Hedgehog - "The Return of Chaotix, Part 6"
Sonic and friends have returned from a time travelling mission to the past, having learned that the key to defeating the Brotherhood of Metallix is none other than Doctor Robotnik! However, when he goes to Citadel Robotnik to find out what Robotnik knows, Robotnik claims the story is ridiculous.
Porker Lewis wonders how the Metallixes were able to exist in a world in which Robotnik never existed, since he built them in the first place. Grimer says that in fact he developed the Metallixes - Robotnik merely added the self-destruct programme. Sonic is furious that Robotnik sent him after the Metallixes even though he could have destroyed them by remote control, but Robotnik merely points out that he had hoped the Metallixes would kill Sonic first! Porker realises that the Metallixes could not remove the programme, so tried to make it never exist in the first place.
At the window, scatterbrained Charmy notices a dark cloud and says there will be a heavy storm... unfortunately, it's a cloud of Metallixes, so numerous that the blot out the Sun! They smash into Citadel Robotnik through the walls, finally making their move to conquer the planet! There is a pitched battle between the Brotherhood, Sonic and Chaotix, while Robotnik frantically searches for the self-destruct remote... But he's too slow! The Emperor Metallix hoists him up, taking the remote. The Emperor plans to first crush the device, then Robotnik's neck! As the casing cracks, Sonic speeds through, snatching the remote and pressing the button, deactivating all the Metallixes at once! Robotnik assures him that they've won, although Sonic confesses to feeling that it is slightly anti-climactic.
Once Sonic and his friends have gone, Robotnik admits that Sonic was right: the Brotherhood of Metallix nearly killed them all. Grimer, however, believes the idea is a good one, if only they had a new design. A badnik based on Sonic proved to be too unstable. He presents his new blueprints for Robotnik's inspection: a Knuckles Metallix!
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Porker Lewis
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Emperor Metallix
- Robotnik revealed that Grimer created the Metallix robots way back in Sonic the Comic #60, "The Brotherhood of Metallix, Part 2". In this issue also, Robotnik sent Sonic after the Metallixes, even though it is revealed here that he could have destroyed them remotely.
- During the battle with the Metallixes, Porker Lewis cowers behind Robotnik's desk, saying "I... I just can't take any more of this!" It is later revealed that Porker was traumatised by his stay on the Metallix-controlled Miracle Planet (from Sonic the Comic #62, "The Brotherhood of Metallix, Part 4", to Sonic the Comic #68, "The Return of Chaotix, Part 2"). In Sonic the Comic #76, "The Big Decision", this leads to Porker's nervous breakdown and his decision to leave the Freedom Fighters.
- Grimer presents his design for the new Knuckles Metallix. This model will first appear in Sonic the Comic #108, "The Evil Empire, Part 1".
- Chaotix remain with the Freedom Fighters until Sonic the Comic #76, "The Big Decision", which should take place soon after this issue.
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #194.
Knuckles - "The Graveyard, Part 4"
In the sacred Emerald Mine, Knuckles has found the Soul Crystal that keeps the Spirit of the Herd alive. Knuckles demands that the Spirit call off its charging Kohenyu skeletons or he will destroy the crystal, and with it the last trace of the Kohenyu race. But the Spirit of the Herd believes that echidnas cannot be trusted, and wills the animated skeletons to attack Knuckles! Centuries ago, the savage echidnas destroyed the Herd, now the Spirit wants to take its revenge!
Knuckles is bashed aside by the Kohenyu. With his powerful fists he smashes the bones to dust. He realises that he should not have hesitated, but destroyed the Soul Crystal when he had the chance. He is determined not to make the same mistake again. Destroying the Crystal is the only way to end this madness. He raises his fist... but cannot bring himself to do it. He can't let himself be the one responsible for destroying the last trace of the Herd.
Knuckles reveals that he knows how the Spirit feels. He is the last trace of his people too. The Spirit is surprised. Knuckles could have destroyed him, but did not. Admitting his error, the Spirit allows Knuckles to take one of the Raw Emeralds, and leave the valley in peace. Knuckles does so quickly, before the Spirit changes its mind.
As he leaves, Knuckles imagines the amazing sight of the Kohenyu Herd, roaming the valley in peace. He hopes that, when his people finally return, they have learned their lesson!
- Knuckles obtains a Raw Emerald. In Sonic the Comic #73, "New Master Emerald", he will use it to fashion a new Master Emerald, since the old one was destroyed in Sonic the Comic #67, "The Homecoming, Part 3".
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #192.
Extra Sonic Story - "Odour Zone"
Sonic and Tails respond to an emergency call - something very large has been tearing through the forests of Mobius. Sonic leaves Tails to help clean up while he follows the path of destruction, which leads to the heart of the Odour Zone, home of the Underground Movement.
When he arrives, he finds the Odour Zone in a complete mess - trees have been uprooted and homes destroyed. The local skunks reveal that their leader, the giant Marcel Skunk, had attempted to sabotage Robotnik's lab, only to be captured and turned into an enormous badnik.
Sonic rushes off to Robotnik's lab, only to be caught in a net trap. He faces off against the badnik Marcel Skunk - renamed Savage Skunk by Robotnik - and only narrowly avoids the badnik's laser cannon. Taking a long run up, he is able to destroy the giant badnik's head with a Super-Sonic Spin! With Marcel Skunk free, Robotnik flees rather than take on two powerful Freedom Fighters! Marcel thanks Sonic for saving him.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Marcel Skunk (First and only appearance)
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Frightened citizens:
- A rabbit
- A walrus
- A yellow bird
- A female bear
- Three male bears
- Several skunk members of the Underground Movement (First and only appearance)
- This story, along with all of the stories written by Mark Millar for Sonic the Comic, was written before the publication of Sonic the Comic #1.
- The Underground Movement is comprised of anthropomorphic skunks with heavy French accents. This is presumably a reference to both the French Resistance during World War 2 and Pepé Le Pew, a French skunk from the Looney Tunes cartoon series.
Sonic's World - "Brute Force, Part 4"
Commander Brutus has used a mind scanner to absorb a copy of Johnny Lightfoot's brain patterns. Now he knows all of Johhny's secrets, including the whereabouts of the hidden Emerald Hill Folk! With knowledge even Robotnik does not possess, Brutus is now the most powerful individual on the planet!
Brutus explains his diabolical plan to Johnny: he will attack the Floating Island (where the Emerald Hill Folk are hidden); people will fear him. They will lose respect for Robotnik and Brutus will rule Mobius! However, just as Brutus is about to brief his Troopers about their next move, he is suddenly overcome and compelled to lash out. With a taunt at the "bucket-headed creeps" he destroys them with his arm blaster, and immediately wonders why he did that!
The other Troopers attempt to relieve him of duty, but he blasts the rest of them too. It's the effect of the mind scanner! When he absorbed Johnny's memories, he also absorbed the Freedom Fighter's personality! Running back to his Trooper Ship, he wipes out all traces of Johnny's thoughts, then crushes the mind scanner. It's too dangerous to use again!
Unfortunately for Brutus, Johnny has managed to escape. His Troopers are all destroyed, and he no longer remembers where the Emerald Hill Folk are hiding. He returns to his base in the Misery Zone, determined to increase his badnik armies, and dominate Mobius, leaving Robotnik nothing but a memory!
- Commander Brutus
- Johnny Lightfoot
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Brutus' badniks (all new models)
- Robotnik suspects Brutus' treachery. When Brutus openly attacks Robotnik in "Revolution" (Sonic the Comic #79 to #82), Robotnik is prepared for him.
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #193.
- Control Zone
- UKCAC Zone - STC's Crew Exposed!
- STC Pin-Up! - Chopper Badnik! Art by Ferran Rodriguez
- Q Zone
|Sonic the Comic|