|Sonic the Comic #94|
6 January 1997
- Editor: Deborah Tate
- Features Editor: Audrey Wong
- Designer: Gary Knight
- Production: Sarah Colley
- Consultant: Richard Burton
Sonic the Hedgehog - "Eve of Destruction"
A few hours earlier, boring scientist Doctor Bob Bobble attends a New Year's Eve party. When he tries to explain his research to a young girl, she excuses herself and goes to dance. Upset that nobody appreciates his genius, Bobble rushes to his laboratory and uncovers his Delta Ray Machine. He zaps himself with the machine, intending to give himself "the muscular build of a bronzed beach patrol guard", but accidentally drops the remote and takes a larger dose than expected. His muscles grow out of control, bursting out of his tank top, and his skin turns purple. His intelligence is also reduced.
Bobble goes to stop the fun of the New Year's Eve party by ripping out the bell from the clocktower. He is spotted by Sonic and Chaotix, who are in the crowd. Sonic stops the bell from landing on the crowd, then Mighty tries to take out Bobble. However, Bobble's muscles are still growing - when Mighty points out that he is "getting bulkier", Bobble rejects the name Doctor Bob Bobble and renames himself The Bulk. Vector recognises Doc Bobble's research into Delta Rays to increase muscle mass, and runs off to Bobble's lab.
Meanwhile, Sonic and Chaotix continue to fight the Bulk. Their attacks don't even hurt him, but his muscles keep growing until they are so large that he can't even move. Just in time, Vector comes back with the Delta Ray Machine, which he has repaired, and uses it to reverse the effect. Bobble is restored to normal. Sonic destroys the machine. Bobble is initially upset that years of hard work have been destroyed. However, on Sonic's advice he decides to use his genius to benefit the population instead of trying to be something he isn't. Sonic advises that he makes a resolution to lighten up too.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Doctor Bob Bobble, aka the Bulk (Only appearance)
- New Year's party-goers
- Sonic the Hedgehog is still trapped in the Special Zone, having travelled there in Sonic the Comic #84, "Heroes & Villains, Part 1". He will eventually return to Mobius in Sonic the Comic #100, "The Final Victory".
- Mighty the Armadillo mentions that Chaotix are wanted by the police for a crime they didn't commit. It was revealed that they were framed for a robbery in Sonic the Comic #85, "Heroes & Villains, Part 2". They will be cleared of this crime some time before Sonic the Comic #97, "Doomsday, Part 1".
- Vector demonstrates his scientific credentials when he recognises Bobble's research into Delta Rays and then repairs the machine to turn him back to normal. In Sonic the Comic #99, "Doomsday, Part 3", it is revealed that Vector is affiliated with a top secret scientific laboratory known as Equinox, which is staffed entirely by crocodiles.
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #197.
Knuckles - "Roots, Part 1"
In the Metropolis Zone, one of the last remaining pieces of park land is under threat. A group of protesters has gathered, holding signs that say "Save our trees!" and "Hands off Robotnik!" One of the protesters, a sheepdog named Pyjamas, has a psychic vision about the approach of a "tiny winged creature", possibly a butterfly... which they soon discover to be Knuckles riding his enormous green pterodactyl. (But then, Pyjamas' vision have always been a bit unreliable.)
Knuckles watches as Special Badnik Service Troopers arrive to disperse the protesters. The Troopers are about to attack the peaceful and defenceless civilians, until Knuckles leaps in to help. He destroys two, then Pyjamas' friend Ebony, a black cat, joins the fight with her magical powers. Together, they destroy the badniks (leading one young protester to say they are "cooler than a cool thing!")
Knuckles tells the protesters that they are in serious danger, and should leave before more badniks arrive, but they insist they have to save the trees. As Knuckles wonders what is special about the trees, they turn to face him, and one withered tree says to him "Allow me to answer that question."
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Ebony (First appearance)
- Pyjamas (First appearance)
- Dog with dreadlocks and sideburns
- Young chimp
- Elderly chimp
- Special Badnik Service Troopers
- Ancient Trees (including the Elder Tree) (First appearance)
- Knuckles is making his way back to the Floating Island with the great chest of documents that he received from Captain Plunder in Sonic the Comic #79, "The Ghost Ship, Part 6". He will eventually return home in Sonic the Comic #97, "Victims, Part 1".
- Knuckles' green pterodactyl was a gift from the rancher named Rooster. He received it in Sonic the Comic #90, "The Good, the Bad and the Echidna, Part 4".
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #211.
Decap Attack - "The Hungry Guest"
- Script: Nigel Kitching & Richard Rayner
- Art: Nigel Kitching
- Lettering: Ellie de'Ville
There is a costume New Year's Party at Castle Frank N Stein, but the only guest is a small boy named Billy No-Friends, who ate his present (a cake) before turning up. He then proceeds to ridicule the Prof, Chuck and Head's costumes (Prof is Mr Cuddle Bunny, while Chuck and Head are Apollo Eleven), then eat all of the castle's food. Just as Prof is trying to convince a reluctant Igor to put on his costume (a woodland creature costume provided by the Prof), Billy gets so hungry that he nearly eats the Prof whole! He spits out the Prof, but his fuzzy pink costume has been digested! The Prof angrily orders Billy to leave and then vows to never throw a New Year's Eve costume party again.
Outside, Igor tells Billy he did a good job - if he'd had to wear the costume he would have died. It is revealed that Billy is Igor's nephew. Igor gives him money to buy a pizza, then they wish each other a happy new year!
Sonic's World - "The Monster Wakes, Part 1"
On New Year's Day, the Freedom Fighters visit Tekno the Canary's secret underground laboratory for a celebration. Tekno offers to let them use it as their new secret base and they accept, although Shortfuse points out that it's a bit small for all five of them. Johnny suggests burrowing through the walls to make more room.
Just then, Knuckles the Echidna lands his pterodactyl outside the lab's secret entrance. The gang surprises Knuckles, who had not realised they were back in the Emerald Hill Zone, then convince him to help them dig some extra space for their base. Once the work is done and Knuckles flies off, Shortfuse and Tails check out some of the freshly dug areas. However, they accidentally disturb something alive that has been sleeping underground. It is massive, and as it wakes up it bursts upwards through the hillside. It's a dragon! Shortfuse thought they only existed in fairy tales. Unfortunately, the dragon reveals that they've woken it up a thousand years too early and now it's mad!
- Amy Rose
- Shortfuse the Cybernik
- Tekno the Canary
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Johnny Lightfoot
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Dragon (First appearance)
- Tekno offers to let the Freedom Fighters use her secret underground laboratory as their new base. Their previous base was destroyed by Robotnik in Sonic the Comic #38, "Robotnik's Revenge", since when they have been on the run as Bob Beaky's Travelling Circus. The Freedom Fighters first visited Tekno's lab in Sonic the Comic #91, "Secret Weapon, Part 2".
- Shortfuse says that it would be a happy new year if the Freedom Fighters were able to triumph over Robotnik. They will do so in Sonic the Comic #100, "The Final Victory".
- Tekno kisses Shortfuse to celebrate New Year, an indication of her feelings for him. There were previous suggestions in stories such as "Sonic Vs Shortfuse" from the Sonic Holiday Special 1996.
- Shortfuse mentions how Robotnik turned him from an ordinary squirrel into a Cybernik, as depicted in "Enter the Cybernik" from Sonic the Comic #45 to #47.
- Knuckles passes through the Emerald Hill Zone on his way back to the Floating Island (see the Knuckles story in this issue).
- Shortfuse mentions that Sonic is in the Special Zone (see the Sonic the Hedgehog story in this issue).
- This story was reprinted in Sonic the Comic #213.
- Control Zone
- Review Zone
- Crawl Badnik Pin-Up!
- Q Zone
- Back Tracking!
|Sonic the Comic|