|Sonic the Fighters|
The US logo of Sonic the Fighters
Yu Suzuki (Producer)
INT 28 November 2012
INT 27 November 2012
Single player, multiplayer
GameCube: GC Optical Disc
Arcade stick, game controller
Sonic the Fighters (ソニック・ザ・ファイターズ Sonikku za Faitāzu?), also called Sonic Championship on Western cabinet artwork, is a fighting game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The game's original title is used in North American and European releases of Sonic Gems Collection, as well as its HD release.
Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik has released the Death Egg II, and now Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower must stop him. However, their new airship, the Lunar Fox only supports one passenger and to defeat Eggman, they need eight of the Chaos Emeralds). The eight wielders of the Chaos Emeralds, including Sonic and Tails themselves, then must take part in a hand-to-hand fighting tournament, with the winner taking all the Chaos Emeralds. The participants, in order of combat, are:
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Bark the Polarbear
- Espio the Chameleon
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Fang the Sniper
- Bean the Dynamite
- Sonic the Hedgehog
Whichever character the player is controlling is cloned by Eggman during their battle (presumably by copying their DNA), so that the player fights all eight of them. For instance, if the player controls Sonic, then in the eighth battle, Eggman will create a colorless clone of Sonic.
After arriving at the Death Egg II, the heroes get a surprise visit from Metal Sonic. After defeating him, the Death Egg II begins to fall apart as Dr. Eggman in his mech suit challenges the victor (the round must be finished to complete the story). Unlike other battles in the game, the player only gets one shot to take down Eggman and also has fifteen seconds to defeat him.
The victor escapes the Death Egg II before it explodes, however, the post credits scene shows Eggman and Metal Sonic also escaped the explosion and head back to Earth.
Sonic can also become Super Sonic in story mode. Without losing a life since the first fight, the player enters Hyper Mode in the second Round against Metal Sonic.
Added in HD Release
- Honey the Cat - Press start on Amy (all of her glitches are now fixed)
- Dr. Eggman (in E-Mech) - Press start on Bean
- Metal Sonic - Press start on Sonic
- Eggman (Mecha)
- Eggman (Spaceship)
- Eggman's Robo
- Unused and scrapped characters can become playable via hacking.
- South Island
- Flying Carpet
- Aurora Icefield
- Canyon Cruise
- Mushroom Hill
- Casino Night
- Dynamite Plant
- Giant Wing
- Death Egg's Eye
- Death Egg's Hangar
Masahiro Sugiyama, a character designer at AM2, added Sonic and Tails into the fighting game Fighting Vipers as a way to cure his boredom. Yu Suzuki saw this and decided to present the idea of a 3D Sonic fighting game to Hiroshi Kataoka. Suzuki then presented the idea to Yuji Naka. At first, Kataoka was worried because of the concept of Sonic characters beating each other up, and feared Yuji Naka would not approve. However, Naka was actually very receptive to the concept, commenting, "I couldn't think of Sonic as a fighting game and was worried whether he could really fight with his short hands and big head. But Mr. Yu encouraged me." At that point nobody had yet attempted to present Sonic in 3D, so Sonic the Fighters was Sonic's 3D debut and had Naka's full support. Developers were worried about rendering Sonic in 3D at first, so Naka gave the team a Sonic figure to work off of. The game was released in Japanese arcades in May 1996, running on Sega Model 2 hardware.
Sega Saturn version
There was a planned Sega Saturn version to the game, but it was cancelled for unknown reasons, one possible reason however the game was thought to have given Sonic a violent image as it is a fighting game, so promoting such a game in retail stores was thought to have hindered Sonic's image even more so.
Bark and Bean were introduced into the Archie Comics series in Issue #160, and were later revealed to have participated in underground fighting tournaments. What appeared to be a full Sonic the Fighters adaptation was later started in Issue #268, introducing Honey into the comics along with Breezie the Hedgehog. However, this adapt only involved one Chaos Emerald.
- There are numerous unused objects like apples and rockets, which could have been used in early versions of the game.
- A special theme plays when pitting Sonic and Knuckles against each other in versus.
- Amy's muzzle is apricot in all her promo pictures, but white on her playable character. The HD release changes the playable character's muzzle back to apricot.
- However, there is a glitch in the HD release where winning a match as Honey makes Amy's muzzle turn white again.
- Honey the Cat was a character who was going to be in the final game, but scrapped for unknown reasons. Before the 2012 re-release of Sonic the Fighters, she was only playable through hacking the Arcade version.
- There is a song from the game's sound test that is called Sunset Town, which might have been Honey the Cat's stage. However, this stage is not seen in the game's re-release on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live despite Honey reappearing.
- In the English version, Dr. Robotnik's name was misspelled Robotonic in the intro of the game for unknown reasons, however in the final battle the character is listed as Dr. Eggman, and his Vs. Card says "Dr. Eggman" with "Robotnik" under it.
- Eight Chaos Emeralds appear in this game, whereas the majority of other games in the series include only seven.
- Ray the Flying Squirrel was originally set to appear in the game as an announcer (in the same effect as the announcers from Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Tekken, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter), but was scrapped in favor of having "boxing bell" sound effects instead.
- Many of Sonic's attacks in Super Smash Bros. Brawl can be traced back to this game, as well as Sonic Battle.
- On one of the two pictures of Sonic (the ones where he appears to be in the air), the picture has the gold buckle on his shoe, and the other does not.
- The rocket in the Sega Saturn intro of Fighting Vipers (next to Mirror Honey) is Tails' rocket from Sonic the Fighters, the Lunar Fox.
- This game's character select icons of Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Fang are all taken from their Sonic Drift 2 artwork. Also, the Amy Rose icon used artwork from Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- The only way to play as Super Sonic is to reach the 2nd round against Metal Sonic without losing a single round. Many fans state that this is the hardest Super Sonic transformation requirement in any Sonic game.
- In the Dreamcast game, Shenmue, many of the characters in this game appear in their promo art as collectible capsule figurines that Ryo can retrieve from a dispenser, or in special cases, such as obtaining Super Sonic and Metal Sonic, they can be won in a lottery. These figures serve no real purpose but to simply be collected.
- Interestingly enough, in Shenmue, if one were to rotate the Fang figurine where he is standing on both feet, his right hand appears to have five fingers while his left hand has four.
- This game marks the first appearance of Amy's Piko Piko Hammer, which played a major role for most of Amy's attack techniques in future games.
- This is the only game in the series where Bark the Polarbear and Bean the Dynamite make an appearance, aside from their cameos in Sonic Generations.
- A Sonic the Fighters arcade machine appears in the beginning of the Disney film, Wreck-It Ralph.
- Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear's characters took inspiration from the arcade game "Dynamite Dux".
- Sonic the Fighters at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Sonic the Fighters|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Espio | Bark | Bean | Fang | Dr. Eggman | Metal Sonic | Honey|
|Locations||South Island | Tails' Lab | Death Egg II|
|Arenas||South Island | Flying Carpet | Aurora Icefield | Mushroom Hill | Canyon Cruise | Casino Night | Dynamite Plant | Giant Wing | Death Egg's Eye | Death Egg's Hangar|
|Other||E-Mech | Eggman Robot | Fake Fighter | Gallery | Hyper Mode | Lunar Fox | OST | Rocket Metal | Sunset Town|