Sonic the Hedgehog is an American comic book series based on Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise and the successor of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog. It is distributed by IDW Publishing and began on 4 April 2018.
The comic series began with the first four issues being released each week in April, followed by a monthly release of subsequent issues starting in May 2018.
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencilers: Adam Bryce Thomas, Devin Kraft, Edwin Huang, Evan Stanley, Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Jonathan Gray, Kieran Gates, Nathalie Fourdraine, Tracy Yardley, Tyson Hesse, Lamar Wells
- 3D artists: Rafa Knight
- Inkers: Bob Smith, Jim Amash, Adam Bryce Thomas, Jennifer Hernandez, Evan Stanley, Tracy Yardley
- Letterers: Corey Breen, Shawn Lee
- Colorists: Matt Herms, Adam Bryce Thomas, Heather Breckel
- Editor: Joe Hughes, David Mariotte, Megan Brown
- Publisher: Greg Goldstein
- Licensors: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo
The Sonic the Hedgehog IDW series was first announced on 21 July 2017 when the official Sonic Twitter revealed that Sega and IDW Publishing would be collaborating together to create a new Sonic comic following the cancellation of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic two days prior. The first official creative summit was conducted on 3 August 2017.
During the New York Comic Con 2017 event, more information regarding IDW's Sonic comic was revealed on promotional flyers (drawn by Tyson Hesse, known for his work on the Archie Sonic comics and Sonic Mania), where it was revealed that the comic will contain characters old and new, and feature brand new stories. Following this, Ian Flynn, former writer of the Archie Sonic comics, was confirmed to be the lead writer for the IDW Sonic comics. On December 28, 2017 though, Flynn revealed that none of the characters he created for Archie Comics will appear in the IDW Sonic comics.
On 11 January 2018, IDW opened an official family-friendly IDW Sonic Facebook group, called “IDW Sonic Comics Squad“. This page will feature updates, art reveals, link to the IDW editorials and more related to the IDW Sonic series. A few days later, on 16 January 2018, it was revealed that Tracy Yardley, a long-time Sonic artist at Archie Comics, would be joining the IDW Sonic team as well. As more information about the first four issues went public, it was revealed that each of the four first issues will feature a different artist, and then rotating art teams would be taking over once the book went monthly.
After its introduction, IDW Sonic Comics Squad revealed that a new character was set be announced on January 24. After five days, this character was revealed to be Tangle the Lemur. On that very same day, the solicitations for the first four issues were revealed.
In an interview with Game Informer, Flynn established that IDW Sonic was a brand new continuity with no connection to the Archie Comics. He further stated that the comics will, at the moment, only draw inspiration from the Sonic game continuity and will go in a fresh new direction not dictated by an already-established canon. Flynn also stated that older elements and fringes of the franchise might be incorporated into the comics at some point, but for the beginning of the series, he wanted to focus on the core style of storytelling for the Sonic series. Flynn also revealed bits of the storyline for the first few issues, which will follow up on Sonic Forces and will deal with the fallout of the War to Take Back the Planet. As for the Sega relationship, it was revealed that they this time around are more directly involved with the stories themselves, namely by offering suggestions here and there on where to tweak things. In return, Flynn makes sure that the comic elements fit into the Sonic universe.
On 21 February 2018, IDW opened its pre-orders for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. On the same day, the IDW Sonic Comics Squad surmised the returning Archie Comic artists for the IDW Sonic series, with Matt Herms being among them. It was also revealed that Sega had placed restrictions on the comics (term like “Mobian” or any similar term has been banned, and the only “Mobile” that is allowed is the Eggmobile), that no crossover had been planned, and that the series will be a mix of various genres.
During a Q&A on Facebook, it was revealed that the Sonic the Hedgehog series would be an ongoing title with no end date determined.
On 16 March 2018, at "Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Panel", the official Sonic the Hedgehog panel at the 2018 SXSW Gaming convention, Sega announced the "Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Series Exclusive Bundle", which was a limited edition bundle up for pre-order on their online store, . This bundled included IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog #1-#4, an additional exclusive variant cover of IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog #4, an exclusive mystery t-shirt (both of which were only available on the SEGA Shop), and digital downloads of Sonic the Hedgehog #1-#4 as they were released. The bundle was released on 1 May 2018 and cost $40. It was also possible to select a shirt size from the following options: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, and 2X-Large.
The comic is set in its own continuity, which is heavily inspired by the Sonic the Hedgehog video games' universe. Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends live on a planet inhabited entirely by anthropomorphic animals like themselves, which is constantly under threat from the evil human scientist Dr. Eggman, who wants to take over with his army of Badniks and establish the Eggman Empire.
Prior to the start of the comic, the battle between Sonic and the Eggman Empire has been going on for quite some time, with the heroes having fought Eggman multiple times before. Many of these encounters in the past of the comic's universe bear a strong resemblance to those that took place in past Sonic video games. When the comic's storyline begins, Sonic and his friends are dealing with the fallout caused by Eggman’s recent conquest of the planet, as depicted in Sonic Forces, which was the most recent Sonic game at the time.
After Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies defeated Dr. Eggman and liberated the world from his Eggman Empire, the evil Doctor went missing. However, his Badniks remained. Initially directionless, these robots eventually began launching coordinated attacks on villages, suggestion someone had taken control of them. Sonic thus begins traveling from town to town to stop the Badniks, receiving help from both old friends and new allies (like Tangle the Lemur) along the way.
With the aid of the Chaotix Detective Agency, Sonic finds the missing Dr. Eggman, only to discover that he is suffering from amnesia and has become a model citizen. Just as Sonic and the Chaotix settle on leaving Eggman to his new life however, Shadow shows up with Rouge to destroy the Doctor after hearing him mention Eggman Land. Sonic, however, manages to convince Shadow to give the amnesiac Eggman a chance to prove his benevolence. In the aftermath, Eggman shows that the Eggman Land he mentioned was but an amusement park for children, thus clearing out any doubts about his amnesia being legit. In the meantime, the ringleader behind the Badnik attacks is making his next move. Sonic and Tails reach the Egg Fleet with the Tornado in order to get some information but as soon as the hedgehog enters the battleship, he discovers that the ringleader is Neo Metal Sonic, who assumed Eggman's appearance to lead the Eggman Empire and finish Eggman's incomplete plans. Amy and Knuckles were eventually informed and they decided to reunite the Resistance to stop Neo's scheme. Sonic soon after infiltrates one of Eggman's bases with Silver and a new ally named Whisper, where they find out that Neo Metal Sonic has conquered Angel Island in order to seize the Master Emerald.
Assembling their various allies, Sonic and the Resistance launch an attack on Angel Island in an attempt to liberate the island and stop Neo Metal Sonic. Shortly after arriving, Sonic and Knuckles confront Neo, who used the Master Emerald to become Super Neo Metal Sonic.
Stories and arcs
"Fallout" revolves around Sonic the Hedgehog and his recent adventures in the aftermath of Sonic Forces. He discovers that after Dr. Eggman's disappearance his Badnik forces had become more organized, attacking several towns on command. Sonic decides to find the source of these attacks and stops several of them with the help of his friends such as Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Blaze, and a new ally named Tangle the Lemur.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Fallout Part 1" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout Part 2" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #3, "Fallout Part 3" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Fallout Part 4" (April 2018)
The Fate of Dr. Eggman
The Chaotix Detective Agency receives an anonymus tip which leads them to a mountanious village, where they find Dr. Eggman, only to discover that he's suffering an amnesia and has become a model citizen. The tip was given by Rouge the Bat, who followed Shadow the Hedgehog in the research. Sonic convinces Shadow to leave "Mr. Tinker" to his new life. Sonic then discovers that the mysterious ringleader behind the Badnik attacks is Neo Metal Sonic, who took the leadership of the Eggman Empire once again, but only to conquer the world for Eggman in his absence. Sonic and Silver soon discover Neo's plans and alert Knuckles and Amy to gather their allies.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1" (May 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #6, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 2" (June 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #7, "Meet the New Boss" (July 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "Silent Support" (August 2018)
The Battle For Angel Island
- Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 1" (September 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #10 "The Battle for Angel Island Part 2" (October 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #11 "The Battle for Angel Island Part 3" (November 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #12 "The Battle for Angel Island Part 4" (December 2018)
Bleeding Cool gave the first issue a score of 6.5/10, praising the art and creativity of the story but criticizing Sonic's characterization: "Sonic is an insufferable character... He’s smug, annoying, and radical in that 1990's sense."
- An unused image that was made by Tyson Hesse was used for the cover of a from , which is a catalogue of upcoming comics for comic shops.
- The comic launched in what would have been the 25th anniversary year of its predecessor.
- On 9 October 2017, Flynn stated on Bumbleking that there could be a chance that the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity from the Archie comics could be concluded in the IDW comics along with the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity, as he also said that IDW is famous for bringing back and completing older runs of fan-favorite franchise comics when they can.
- Characters like Ray, Mighty and Team Hooligan will not appear in the comics due to the fact that SEGA has currently requested a distinct division between "Classic Sonic" and "Modern Sonic". Since the comic is set within the "Modern Sonic" universe, the "Classic Sonic" material is currently off limits.
- It was announced on 23 August 2018, at Gamescom 2018 that the new Nintendo Switch app  will feature the IDW comics from launch.
- On 26 August 2018, Flynn stated several things in an interview at SAGE 2018 about the IDW series:
- Flynn stated that he would like to do a spinoff series over Sonic Adventure's story.
- Flynn stated that the "Modern Sonic" universe is set neither on Earth nor Mobius; just like the games' canon and Sonic X, Sonic and friends live on one world, while the humans live on another.
- Flynn has stated that he would like to use the Babylon Rogues in the IDW comics as he feels they are under utilized.
- Flynn has stated that he wishes to do a prequel of Sonic Forces so he can explore the six months of stories the readers did not get to see during Eggman's conquest.
- On 17 September 2018, during the BumbleKast, Flynn confirmed several things about the IDW comic series:
- He does not have any plans for the Knothole Freedom Fighters at the moment and stated that SEGA will declare if they can use them.
- Only some places will have a name if they are important for world building.
- He has plans for making an entire new rogues gallery for the comic, but that it will take time.
- On 7 October 2018 at the Making Kids's Comic Panel from NYCC 2018, it was revealed that the second arc would involve Sonic being affected by a technology virus which is slowly turning him into metal and the only way to keep the virus at bay is by running as fast as he can.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 T-Bird (5 October 2017). IDW Sonic Comic Teaser Features Tyson Hesse Artwork. Sonic Stadium. Retrieved on 6 October 2017. “Thank you for joining us for the first ever IDW/Sonic Town Hall! IDW and SEGA are proud to bring you an all-new chapter of Sonic the Hedgehog comics! After more than 25 years, Sonic’s adventures have captured the imaginations of countless fans, and have inspired one of the most passionate fan bases in the world. We look forward to bringing you brand-new stories, featuring characters old and new, that continue this proud legacy of the fastest comics around! SPEEDING YOUR WAY APRIL 2018!”
- ↑ Frank, Allegra (9 October 2017). Sonic the Hedgehog’s next comics get a fantastic facelift (correction). Polygon. Retrieved on 25 October 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 IDW Publishing and SEGA® Welcome Veteran Sonic Writer Ian Flynn. IDW Publishing (8 October 2017). Retrieved on 8 October 2017. “A new era of Sonic comics will begin next April with a four-week event. IDW will be moving at Sonic-like speeds to publish the first four issues of the new series in the span of four weeks. Those issues will be written by Flynn with a team of artists joining him to be announced at a later date.”
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Newsarama Staff (24 January 2018). IDW PUBLISHING April 2018 Solicitations. News-a-Rama. Retrieved on 25 January 2018.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 SSF1991 (16 January 2018). Tracy Yardley! Confirmed For IDW Sonic Team, One Of Multiple Covers For Issue #1 Released. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 17 January 2018.
- ↑ SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #9 CVR A WELLS. Previews World (20 June 2018). Retrieved on 20 June 2018.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 SSF1991 (21 February 2018). IDW Update: “Mobian” Banned Term, Unlimited Story Arcs, How To Pre-Order, & More. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 21 February 2018.
- ↑ Heather Breckel on Twitter. Twitter (22 March 2018). Retrieved on 23 March 2018. “It's a childhood dream to be working on an issue of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic! I'm the colorist on issue #3 and it's so exciting! :D Sonic was really what got me drawing and what got me really into comics.”
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 SSF1991 (11 January 2018). Official IDW Sonic Facebook Group Opens. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 11 January 2018.
- ↑ Notification of change.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (21 July 2017). Retrieved on 21 July 2017. “Sonic the Hedgehog: SEGA and IDW are thrilled to announce a partnership to bring Sonic Comics to fans new and old. The new series arrives 2018!”
- ↑ Chris Ryall on Tumblr. Tumblr (3 August 2017). Retrieved on 3 August 2017.
- ↑ SSF1991 (28 December 2017). Ian Flynn Confirms That IDW Sonic Comics Will Not Have Archie Sonic Characters He Created. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 28 December 2017.
- ↑ Holub, Christian (22 January 2018). New Sonic the Hedgehog comics coming in April. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 23 January 2018.
- ↑ Yehl, Joshua (24 January 2018). Sonic the Hedgehog's Newest Ally Is Tangle the Ring-tailed Lemur. IGN. Retrieved on 24 January 2018.
- ↑ Thurmond, Joey (15 February 2018). Writer Ian Flynn Discusses Giving The Sonic Comic Series A Fresh Start. Gameinformer. Retrieved on 16 February 2018.
- ↑ SSF1991 (16 March 2018). SEGA Shop Begins Selling Special IDW Comics Bundle. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 21 March 2018.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Review: Creative Action Scenes Make Up for an Annoying Lead (5 April 2018). Retrieved on 16 July 2018.
- ↑ IDW Sonic Smashes Sales Expectations, Becomes Best-Selling Sonic Comics on Record - Sonic Stadium (7 May 2018).
- ↑ http://bumbleking.com/lost-hedgehog-tales-update/
- ↑ Flynn, Ian. Sonic the Hedgehog FAQ. BumbleKing.
- ↑ Plagge, Kallie (23 August 2018). Nintendo Switch Getting App To Read Comics, Including Dark Souls And Sonic. Gamespot. Retrieved on 12 September 2018.
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 Schneckloth, Ryan. SAGE 2018: Interview with Ian Flynn Summary. TSSZ News.
- ↑ BumbleKast #75: Q&A Bonanza!. Sonic Source (17 September 2018). Retrieved on 19 September 2018.
- ↑ NYCC Coverage Day 4: LIVEBLOG of Making Kids' Comics the IDW Way!. Equestria Daily (7 October 2018). Retrieved on 8 October 2018.