|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic X anime or comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For other uses of Sonic the Hedgehog, see Sonic the Hedgehog (disambiguation).
Sonic the Hedgehog is the main protagonist of the anime series Sonic X and its comic series. Lightning fast on his feet, but super slow to lose his cool, Sonic is always revved up and ready for a run-in with his archenemy, Doctor Eggman whenever he tries to cause trouble to the world to show his heroic deeds. Sonic's fear of water is even more present in the series than in the video games.
Season 1 (First half of Series 1)
Sonic hails from an unnamed world in a parallel dimension to Earth. His back-story is a mystery but it's known that he befriended Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream and Cheese and many small animals as well as constantly fending off Dr. Eggman's attempts at conquering the world. One day, he attempted to rescue his friends Cream the Rabbit and her Chao friend Cheese from Dr. Eggman as well as foil the doctor's latest plot to control the world with the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds. Unfortunately, an accident initiated Chaos Control, which transported Sonic, Eggman, all of Sonic's friends, and a few others within a ten mile radius to Earth. On Earth, Sonic befriended Chris Thorndyke, who rescued him from drowning in a swimming pool and then allowed Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower, Amy Rose, Cream and Cheese to stay hidden with him in his house. He also forged a friendly rivalry with Chris' second uncle Sam Speed, a cop who chases speeding criminals in a race car. He is initially hidden in Chris' home and boggles the human race with his being; people think he's an alien or machine. While Sonic was mostly covert, Eggman made himself known as he tried to conquer the new world. Sonic eventually destroys Eggman's first base and is hailed as a hero along with all of his friends. Sonic destroys Eggman's second base (which transformed into a powerful robot) by becoming Super Sonic by finally gathering all the Chaos Emeralds after Chris dropped them into the ocean, causing Chaos Control to bring some aspects of his world, like Angel Island, to Earth.
Season 2 (Second half of Series 1)
Following the Chaos Control incident, the adaptations of Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 took place (in order), mirroring most of the events of their respective games. After that, it was discovered that Sonic's world and Earth were merging (possibly due to Sonic bringing parts of his world to Earth) which would lead to the stopping of time. The only way to save both planets was to return Sonic and his friends home. After everyone but Sonic had went through, Chris took him away, eventually to his parents' old summer home. Chris tells Sonic how much he will miss him and how much of a friend the hedgehog was. Sonic gathers the Chaos Emeralds and after taking Chris for one final run, returns to his home universe.
Upon returning, Super Sonic easily destroys Eggman's latest battleship, saves Tails and then meets Amy, giving her a rose and telling her that he will never leave/loves her (English/French versions respectively) while in the Japanese version what he says to her is muted out for speculative and dramatic purposes (although whatever he said made Amy very happy).
Season 3 (Series 2)
Six months later, Super Sonic battles Dark Oak, the leader of an alien/robot race called the "Metarex" in outer space. Unable to defeat Dark Oak, he spreads the Chaos Emeralds throughout space and falls back to the planet. He is found and nursed back to health by Dr. Eggman. A plant-like alien girl named "Cosmo" informs him that the Metarex are taking over the galaxy by stealing a "Planet Egg" from each planet they can find. The heroes recovered the Chaos Emeralds in a space journey as well as curing every planet. As the role of the main villain has been completely taken over by the Metarex, Eggman, Rouge and Shadow mainly sided with the heroes against the Metarex threat although there were moments when both sides fought each other.
In the end, with the help of every hero especially Cosmo who sadly sacrifices herself, Super Sonic and Super Shadow finally destroy Dark Oak for good and they all return home with every Planet Egg the Metarex captured returning to their respective planets. Sonic watches as Chris is flown away back to Earth and declares war on Eggman along with his friends. In this season, Sonic seems to care about Amy a lot more than in Seasons 1 and 2 (Series 1).
Sonic is a habitual daredevil who is honest, loyal to friends, keeps his promises and dislikes tears. He took the young Tails under his wing like a little brother. Even though he isn't intrigued by the marital proposals from Amy Rose, he seems to share her feelings to the point of telling her that he loves her in the French version of episode 52. With Knuckles, he shares a friendly rivalry (similar to the original games), but the two can be great teammates, though Sonic simply can't resist teasing him whenever he has the chance to. Even though he meets Chris at the beginning of the series, he quickly becomes his friend and treats him like a younger brother similar to Tails. He is mostly seen napping, watching television, running towards an adventure or stopping Doctor Eggman with his plans of world domination.
In times of crisis, he focuses intensely on the challenge as if his personality had undergone an astonishing change most of the time.
Powers and Abilities
Sonic's greatest strength is his running speed, which is much faster than the speed of sound and is a master of rapid response, having quick reflexes that can react to avoid dangers. He appears as a blue blur when he runs. He can use the Spin Attack like in the games and appears in 3D, in this state he can break through virtually anything and a ring can increase his power. He is also incredibly resilient to damage, as he has been thrown through buildings and nearly been crushed by Eggman's larger robots, yet leaps back into the fray immediately afterwards.
When seven Chaos Emeralds are collected, he is able to transform into Super Sonic, a faster, stronger and invulnerable version of himself that can fly, move faster than the speed of light and have access to Chaos Powers. He can also heal people with a touch. He has used the Super Sonic form against Perfect Chaos, Biolizard, Eggman, Dark Oak and Super Shadow.
Friends and Allies
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Best friend; like brothers)
- Knuckles the Echidna (Friendly rival)
- Amy Rose (Self-proclaimed girlfriend; returns her feelings to a certain extent)
- Rouge the Bat
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Arch-rival)
- Cream the Rabbit (Good friend)
- Christopher Thorndyke (Best friend)
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Helen (Good friend)
- Vector the Crocodile
- Espio the Chameleon
- Charmy Bee
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Big the Cat
- Cosmo the Seedrian
- Doctor Eggman (ally against the Metarex)
- Doctor Eggman (Arch-Enemy)
- Shadow (depending on Shadow's goal)
- King Boom Boo
- Dark Oak
- "The S Team eh? The "S" must stand for "slow motion"!" - After meeting the Speed Team for the first time in "Chaos Control Freaks"
- "Kids, don't use formula one race cars to chase hedgehogs!" - Breaking the Fourth Wall on a Speed Team car in "Chaos Control Freaks."
- "Oh! What a great view!" - After running up a tree in the Japanese version of "Cracking Knuckles."
- "So, are you up for a race, eh?" - After he thought that the cheetah would race against him in "The Dam Scam."
- "Good job, our captain!" - To comfort Tails when he thought he wasn't a good captain.
- "Don't you worry Amy, I never will!" - Sonic telling Amy that he would never leave her again in "A New Start."
- "If I don't get to the city fast, there won't be anything left to save!" - Sonic realizing that Chaos is going on a destructive rampage.
- "I'd like to, but I don't get involved in fights I can't win. You're on your own." - When Knuckles asks Sonic for help when Amy, Cream and Cosmo start "knocking some sense" into Knuckles in episode 54.
- "Life never stays slow around here for long! Thank goodness! Watch out Eggman, I'm coming at you full speed ahead!" - In the dub version of the final episode when he declares war on Eggman.
- "I'm just a guy with a need for speed! They call me Sonic the Hedgehog!" - Sonic while chasing Shadow on the ARK.
- "Your brain's even slower than your feet!" - Sonic when taunting Knuckles in Cracking Knuckles
- Sonic exhibits an unusual degree of superhuman strength, as seen when he was able to push back the E-18 Guerra-Hard robot, which was over ten times his size. As well as being able to hold back a fish Metarex with very little or no effort with one hand. Another thing to note is that in several episodes, he's seen punching Eggman's robots.
- It has been said that Sonic never cries, nor he can stand seeing someone cry, yet in the second season finale, "A New Start," as Sonic is carrying Chris, tears are seen emitting from his face and onto Chris'. In episode 52, when Amy is explaining her feelings to Sonic, a small teardrop can be seen forming in his right eye.
- In that same episode, after Sonic gives Amy a flower, what he says then is different between versions. In the English version, he says he will never leave her while in the Japanese, Sonic says something but it is not heard while in the French version, he actually says he loves her.
- In the Japanese version, Sonic uses the most Engrish dialogue out of all characters.
- No matter what angle Sonic is seen in (excluding when he is falling from outer space after his first fight with Dark Oak), he has three quills. As Super Sonic, he has five quills.
- Sonic is shown to enjoy taunting Eggman by turning around, sticking out his tongue, pulling on his eye socket and slapping his rear.
- Both Sonic and Chris appeared in the most episodes of Sonic X (76).
- In the episode "Skirmish in the Sky," Sonic's arms are mistakenly colored blue when he holds on to the Egg Fort.
- This version of Sonic has a love for flowers. He has been seen picking them and sometimes giving them to girls such as Cream and Amy. He offered to pick some for Helen, but she didn't want him to remove them from the island.
- This version of Sonic also has an alternate Super form known "Dark Sonic", a transformation achieved through a cache of Fake Chaos Emeralds and Sonic's own unbridled rage. This form also seems to affect Sonic's personality as he demonstrates an uncharacteristic sadism when destroying his enemies.