Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a 2013 remastered version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It was developed by Christian Whitehead and Simon Thornley for the iOS and Android, following their remastered digital re-releases of Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Sonic the Hedgehog. It was released on December 12, 2013 for both operating systems simultaneously worldwide.
After the success of Christian Whitehead's Sonic the Hedgehog CD port in 2011, they immediately started production on reworking Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for smartphones. This would be the first Sonic game for the Android phone.
Differences from the original
- Knuckles was included as a playable character in the game (like in Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2) without the need for the Sega Mega Drive cartridge's unique "lock-on" technology between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles.
- There is an entirely new Starting Menu as previously seen in the 2013 version of Sonic 1.
- The player can now save their progress and Chaos Emeralds (infinite continues were provided as a result).
- Tails can now fly and airlift Sonic (or Knuckles).
- A Time Attack gameplay mode is added. In addition, it features an exclusive new Zone called Boss Attack Zone which requires the player to defeat all of the game's bosses.
- The game features a new multiplayer mode.
- Special Stages are now in 3D-rendered environments.
- The game is now rendered at a full 60FPS.
- There is a fully remastered soundtrack.
- Hidden Palace Zone, which was included as a scrapped zone during the development of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, was brought back, complete with its own original boss. It uses the Mystic Cave Zone's two-player music.
- The player can access a secret sub-menu within the debug menu that allows them to use the elemental shields from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Level Select - Start the game in "NO SAVE MODE". When the Sega logo appears, tap the S, E, G and A letters logo (in that order) and when the title screen appears, touch the screen with two fingers to access Level Select.
- Debug Mode - During gameplay, tap the upper-left corner of the screen to access the debug mode. To change the item the player is placing, press the + or - on the top of the screen. Note that tapping the life counter in Debug Mode will take the player back to the Level Select.
- Game Config - To enable it, play sound "00" three times in the Sound Test to bring up the "Game Config" menu, which includes the following gameplay options the player can adjust:
- Player: Allows the player to toggle between which characters they may play as (Sonic and Tails, Sonic alone, Tails alone, Knuckles alone or Knuckles and Tails).
- Items: Lets the player toggle the behaviour of the Monitors in the game: all original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 items, all Sonic the Hedgehog 2 items but all of the Monitors will give a random Item, all of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 items (which also replaces the standard Shield Item with one of the three elemental shields first seen in Sonic 3), and all Sonic the Hedgehog 3 items but all Monitors will give a random Item.
- Flight: Toggles whether Tails can use his flying signature ability or not.
- Air Cap: Toggles the running speed behaviour while in mid-air.
- Special Stage - By selecting sounds "00" through "07" in the Sound Test, the player can change which Special Stage the player goes to before selecting to play the Special Stage. Playing sound "00" and selecting Special Stage takes the player to the Special Stage #1, playing sound "01" and selecting Special Stage takes the player to the Special Stage #2, and so on.
- Proto Palace Zone - At the Level Select screen Sound Test after enabling Debug Mode, play the following tunes in order: 03, 03, 03, 0B, 10, 10, 10, 04 and select Hidden Palace Zone.
Please note that Achievements are not transferable between Game Center on iOS and Google Play Games Services on Android.
|Quick Run||Complete Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in under 35 seconds.|
|100% Chemical Free||Complete Chemical Plant without going underwater.|
|Early Bird Special||Collect all the Chaos Emeralds before Chemical Plant.|
|Superstar||Complete any act as Super Sonic.|
|Hit it Big||Get a jackpot on the Casino Night slot Machines.|
|Bop Non-stop||Defeat any boss in 8 consecutive hits without touching the ground.|
|Perfectionist||Get a 'Perfect Bonus' by collecting every Ring in an Act.|
|A Secret Revealed||Find and complete Hidden Palace Zone.|
|Head 2 Head||Win a 2P Versus game against a friend.|
|Metropolis Master||Complete any Metropolis Zone Act without getting hurt.|
|Scrambled Egg||Defeat Dr. Eggman's Boss Attack mode in under 7 minutes.|
|Beat the Clock||Complete the Time Attack mode in less than 45 minutes.|