|Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure|
SNK, Sega (co-publisher)
Yuji Naka (Supervisor/Producer)
Single player, multiplayer
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, or simply Sonic Pocket Adventure, is a video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It was released in 1999 for the Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld game console, and was the second Sonic game to be released for a non-Sega system (the first was Sonic Jam for Game.com). It was also the last game for almost eight years to feature Sonic as the only playable character in single player until Sonic and the Secret Rings was released in 2007. The game is similar in level design and gameplay to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, but with mostly new bosses. It also includes a few graphics from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as music from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Jam. Special features such as puzzles and multiplayer options were also added.
ZonesAs in other Sonic titles, the levels in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure are known as "zones", with each zone containing two parts (called "Acts"). The players must navigate through all the zones in order to beat the game, with the second level in each zone containing a boss. There are six regular zones in the game, as well as one secret zone that contains only one level. All of the normal zones in this game are remixed versions of zones from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, with similar level design and enemies but largely new boss machines. Below is the full list of zones in order of appearance in the single player mode.
- Neo South Island Zone: A green island which is visually based on Green Hill Zone, but has the level layout of Emerald Hill Zone.
- Secret Plant Zone: Directly based on Chemical Plant Zone. There are purple chemical liquids found on Act 2 of this zone.
- Cosmic Casino Zone: This zone is based on Casino Night Zone. As Sonic, the player must navigate through a casino-themed area filled with bumpers and various other obstacles.
- Aquatic Relix Zone: A mild variation of Aquatic Ruin Zone. This zone, and Secret Plant, are the only levels in the game which feature underwater sections. The boss is Knuckles the Echidna, in a nearly identical duel to Sonic & Knuckles.
- Sky Chase Zone: Similar to the original Sky Chase from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, here Sonic walks on the wings of the Tornado, conveniently piloted by Miles "Tails" Prower.
- Aerobase Zone: A flying fortress identical to Wing Fortress. This zone takes place on a very large flying warship in which Sonic must find a way to get inside.
- Gigantic Angel Zone: This zone's background design has been taken from Scrap Brain Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog. This zone takes place in a large base full of traps and hazards, most of which are taken from Metropolis Zone.
- Last Utopia Zone: This is the last proper zone and is a stand-off between Sonic and Dr. Robotnik. Robotnik is in a flying battle machine which has a Chaos Emerald.
- Chaotic Space Zone: A hidden bonus level that must be unlocked in order to play. This zone plays similarly to The Doomsday Zone from Sonic & Knuckles.
In addition to the single player mode, Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure allows multiplayer gaming for two players. In order to compete, both players are required to have a Neo Geo Pocket Color and a copy of the game, and one link cable. The multiplayer component is entitled 'Duel Mode' and features two modes of play; Sonic Rush and Get the Rings. 'Sonic Rush' has players competing to be the first to finish a zone and the objective of 'Get the Rings' is to collect the specified amount of rings before your rival. Player 1 is always Sonic, while player 2 is Tails. Incidentally, Sonic Rush is also the title of Sonic's first outing on the Nintendo DS.
Tails is playable in the single player mode as a result of a glitch in some emulators causing debug to occur.
This game is also the only game to mix the current Sonic style with the classic one. For example, the in-game sprites very much look like it would be pre-Sonic Adventure, but close-up graphics show that his eyes are indeed green, indicating closer resemblance to the post-Sonic Adventure style. Robotnik himself wears his original red shirt and yellow cape for most of the game, but wears his newer outfit in his base, at the finale of the game.
The game was well-received, getting many positive reviews. One notable review is IGN's where they gave Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure a perfect 10/10. This is the only Sonic game, to date, to have a perfect 10/10 from IGN.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure is the first official Sonic game to be released on a system not made by Sega, and the only one released before the discontinuation of the Dreamcast.
- This is the only Sonic game for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
- This is the first Sonic game made by Dimps, who would later go on to make all of the Nintendo handheld based Sonic games and co-developed Sonic the Hedgehog 4. All those games are 2D platformers featuring Modern Sonic.
- Curiously, both Dr. Robotnik's classic and modern character designs were featured in this game. Robotnik's classic design was featured in all of his appearances up until the final boss fight in Last Utopia Zone when he suddenly switched to his modern design.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure/Beta elements|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Mecha Sonic | Dr. Robotnik|
|Zones||Neo South Island Zone | Secret Plant Zone | Cosmic Casino Zone | Aquatic Relix Zone | Sky Chase Zone | Aerobase Zone | Gigantic Angel Zone | Last Utopia Zone | Chaotic Space Zone | Special Stage|
|Enemies||Asteron | Balkiry | Buzzer | Chop Chop | Clucker | Coconuts | Grounder | Knuckles | Masher | Mecha Sonic | Nebula | Shellcracker | Slicer | Spiny | Whisp|
|Other||Catapult | Chaos Emeralds | Continue | Conveyor Belt | Corkscrew Loop | Dash Panel | Debug Mode | Extra Life | Flipper | Photo piece | Pinball Shooter | Rings | Slot Machine | Spin Dash | Spin Jump | Totem Pole | Tornado | Winding Tunnel|
|Sonic the Hedgehog handheld video games|
|Sonic the Hedgehog · 2 · Chaos · Triple Trouble · Labyrinth · Blast · Tails Adventure · Tails' Skypatrol · Pocket Adventure · Advance · Advance 2 · Battle · Advance 3 · Rush · Genesis · Rivals · Rush Adventure · Rivals 2 · Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood · 4: I · Colors · Generations · 4: II · Lost World|