Sonic the Poster Mag
Sonic the Poster Mag #5 is the fifth installment of Sonic the Poster Mag, a spin-off of Sonic the Comic referred to as "A Sonic the Comic Mega-Production" and published by Fleetway Editions. It was released on the same day as Sonic the Summer Special (1994).
It contains a giant poster featuring Super Sonic, with a six-page Sonic comic strip on the reverse.
- Editor: Richard Burton
- Designer: Clare Gillmore
- Cover & poster art: Carl Flint
- Managing Editor: Steve MacManus
- Publisher: Chris Power
Sonic the Hedgehog - "Ocean of Horror!"
After destroying some Octus Badniks, Sonic breaks in through the wall of the Pump, wondering what sort of sophisticated mechanism he'll have to shut off. When he finds a simple lever with the options "On" and "Off", he suddenly gets the feeling that he's been set up... and he has! Although switching the lever to "Off" deactivates the Pump, Robotnik suddenly appears on a video screen, saying that it has activated a Super Bomb that will detonate in just 30 seconds, turning the entire zone into one huge fireball!
Sonic immediately sets to work, dashing between the numerous platforms to try and find the bomb. One false step causes him to slip and plummet over the side, but the stress causes him to transform into Super Sonic, who is determined that Robotnik must not win. Super Sonic finds the bomb, but only some quick words from Tails prevent him from detonating it. It is too late to deactivate it, so instead he flies around it at super speed, encasing it in a cocoon of speed that contains the eventual explosion.
Having transformed back to normal, Sonic asks what happened, since he has no memory of being Super Sonic. Elsewhere, Robotnik vows vengeance!
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Super Sonic
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Sonic has transformed into Super Sonic in the Oil Ocean Zone before, as depicted in Sonic the Comic #7, "Super Sonic".
- Super Sonic in this issue appears slightly less destructive and more rational than has been established in issues of Sonic the Comic, although Sonic still cannot remember anything that happened while he was in that form.
- This story was reprinted in Sonic Holiday Special 1995.
- Sonic the Poster Mag 5 at the Sonic the Comic Wiki