South Island is an island featured in the Sonic the Hedgehog series of video games. According to Japanese manuals, it is located somewhere in Sonic's world's equivalent of the Pacific Ocean.
South Island first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog for the Mega Drive, and later appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic Chaos for the Game Gear and Master System. Its next appearance was in Sonic the Fighters, an arcade game. Following that, it was in Sonic Adventure 2, where a 3-D rendition of the Green Hill Zone was a secret, unlockable level. After that, it appeared in Sonic Battle as Emerald Town. Its latest appearance was in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, where Green Hill Zone was the first area in the game. Sonic Battle revealed that Central City was on the island, and Sonic Chronicles revealed it held the Mystic Ruins, as well.
Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)
In Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic goes to the island and finds that the evil Doctor Robotnik built a base on the island and turned the local residents into robots to search for the legendary Chaos Emeralds on the island. The heroic hedgehog collects the Emeralds first, stops Robotnik, and chases him off the island. Zones of the game are below:
- Green Hill Zone, grassy plains with lakes and waterfalls. This zone has appeared in several other Sonic Games as well. It is without a doubt the most iconic level in all of Sonic history.
- Marble Zone, ancient ruins half-sunk in lava.
- Spring Yard Zone, an urban area with pinball bumpers and springs.
- Labyrinth Zone, an underwater maze.
- Star Light Zone, a peaceful, highway-like city area at night.
- Scrap Brain Zone, a heavily industrialized area which serves as Robotnik's base.
Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
The story in the 8-bit Sonic the Hedgehog is the same as in the 16-bit one, and the games most likely depict the same adventure. Zones of the game are below:
- Green Hill Zone, sporting the same verdant fields as in its other appearances.
- Bridge Zone, a long bridge over a river.
- Jungle Zone, a rain forest with wild rivers and vines.
- Labyrinth Zone, the same submerged ruins as in the 16-bit game.
- Scrap Brain Zone, the Doctor's industrial stronghold.
- Sky Base Zone, a large, weaponized zeppelin made by Robotnik.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)
In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Robotnik returns and kidnaps all the inhabitants, along with Miles "Tails" Prower, demanding a ransom of six Chaos Emeralds to return them. Sonic goes out to stop him once again, and succeeds. Zones of the game are below:
- Under Ground Zone, a volcanic mountain, once used as a mine.
- Sky High Zone, the top of a mountain that reaches the clouds.
- Aqua Lake Zone, a lake surrounded by fountains and pillars.
- Green Hills Zone, very like the one from the previous games, but with normal trees instead of palm trees.
- Gimmick Mt. Zone, one of Robotnik's metallic bases, apparently set inside a mountain.
- Scrambled Egg Zone, a mountain filled with large pipes, and another of Robotnik's bases.
- Crystal Egg Zone, a transparent crystal base of Robotnik's. Can only be accessed if you have all six Chaos Emeralds.
In Sonic Chaos, Robotnik steals one of the Chaos Emeralds on South Island and as a result, the rest of the Emeralds become unbalanced and cause the island to slowly sink into the ocean. However, Sonic recovers all the Emeralds and saves the island. Zones of the game are below:
- Turquoise Hill Zone, a grassy hillside area, much like Green Hill Zone.
- Gigalopolis Zone, a sprawling urban area with various passages. The Game Gear version spells it as "Gigapolis Zone".
- Sleeping Egg Zone, a mostly flat region of plains, with Eggman's self-portrait adorning parts of the background.
- Mecha Green Hill Zone, Robotnik's version of the Green Hill Zone, with deathtraps strewn everywhere.
- Aqua Planet Zone, a group of ruins partially submerged in water. Despite the name, there is actually very little water.
- Electric Egg Zone, another of Robotnik's many large bases.
Sonic the Fighters
In Sonic the Fighters, South Island is one of the battle arenas. It is the very first arena in story mode, and is where the player character faces Knuckles the Echidna. The arena is set on a small island plateau, in an area that looks mostly like the Green Hill Zone. If the player plays as Knuckles here, the player will fight a shadow Knuckles.
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2 and its GameCube re-release, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Green Hill Zone was a secret stage that could be unlocked by obtaining all 180 Emblems. On the Stage Select screen, the icon for Green Hill could be found on a secluded island, presumably South Island.
Sonic Battle introduces Emerald Town, nestled on the southern side of the island in the Green Hill Zone. It also reveals that Central City, first appearing in Sonic Adventure 2, is on the eastern part of the island.
Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood
Appearances in Other Media
Sonic the Comic
In the fortnightly publication Sonic the Comic, South Island is the setting of many stories. Sonic the Comic #25 reveals that South Island is the location of the many "Hill Zones", including not only the Green Hill Zone but the Emerald Hill Zone as well (which, in the games, is located on Westside Island). On the northern part of the island is the Frozen Zone, which contains the North Cave, where Sonic the Hedgehog once hid the Chaos Emeralds.
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie
|Features of Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Chaos Control | Chaos Emeralds | Master Emerald | Rings (Red Star Rings) | Special Stage | Star Posts | Item Boxes | Super transformation | Piko Piko Hammer | Miles Electric|
|Earth | Angel Island | South Island | Space Colony ARK|
|Eggmobile | The Tornado | Egg Carrier|
|Aliens (Wisps) | Eggman's robots (E-Series) | Eggman Empire|
|Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)/Beta Elements|
|Characters||Sonic | Dr. Robotnik | Flicky | Pocky | Pecky | Cucky | Ricky | Picky | Rocky|
|Badniks||Moto Bug | Buzz Bomber | Chopper | Crabmeat | Newtron | Caterkiller | Spikes | Burrobot | Jaws | Orbinaut (Unidus and Uni Uni) | Bomb | Ball Hog|
|Zones||Green Hill Zone | Bridge Zone | Jungle Zone | Labyrinth Zone | Scrap Brain Zone | Sky Base Zone | Special Stages|
|Moves/Techniques||Spin Attack | Spin Jump|
|Items||Ring | Monitor (Super Ring, Shield, Power Sneakers, Invincibility, Extra Life, Continue, Arrow Monitor) | Spring | Bumper | Switch | Air Bubbles | Signpost | Capsule|
|Other||South Island | Chaos Emeralds | Spikes | Totem Pole | Crusher | Spiked Ball | Fire Statue | Seesaw | Bomb | Electric Generator | Conveyor Belt | Teleporter | Flipper | Gallery|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Dr. Robotnik | Animal friends (Flicky | Ricky | Pocky | Rocky | Pecky | Cucky | Picky)|
|Badniks||Bomb | Buton | Drillin | Game-game | Newtron | New Motora | Taraban | Zaririn|
|Zones||Under Ground Zone | Sky High Zone | Aqua Lake Zone | Green Hills Zone | Gimmick Mountain Zone | Scrambled Egg Zone | Crystal Egg Zone|
|Bosses||Arijigoku Mecha | Gachou Mecha | Mecha Ashika | Mecha Buta | Inobuta Mecha | Silver Sonic | Crystal Egg boss|
|Items||Ring | Monitor (Super Ring, Power Sneakers, Invincibility, Extra Life) | Continue | Spring | Switch | Air Bubbles | Signpost | Capsule|
|Other||Chaos Emerald | South Island | Flywheel | Teleporter | Minecart | Spin Attack|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Dr. Robotnik | Flicky|
|Badniks||Bomb | Bane Motora | Beeton | Frogger | Mecha Hiyoko | Metal-o-Turtle | Tsuno-tsuno|
|Zones||Turquoise Hill Zone | Gigalopolis Zone | Sleeping Egg Zone | Mecha Green Hill Zone | Aqua Planet Zone | Electric Egg Zone | Special Stage|
|Bosses||Lady Bug Boss | Bead Worm Boss | Bouncy Boss Robot | Tree Crawler Boss | Sphere-o-Bot Boss | Laser Walker|
|Items||Ring | Monitor (Super Ring, Power Sneakers, Rocket Shoes, Invincibility, Extra Life) | Continue | Spring | Pogo Spring | Air Bubbles | Signpost|
|Other||Chaos Emerald | South Island | Corkscrew Loop | Flying | Spin Attack | Spin Jump | Spin Dash | Super Peel Out | Switch|
|Sonic the Fighters|
|Characters||Sonic | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Espio | Bark | Bean | Fang | Dr. Eggman | Honey|
|Locations||South Island | Tails' Lab | Death Egg II|
|Zones||South Island | Flying Carpet | Aurora Icefield | Canyon Cruise | Mushroom Hill | Casino Night | Dynamite Plant | Giant Wing | Death Egg's Eye | Egg Hangar|
|Other||E-Mech | Eggman Robot | Fake Fighter | Gallery | Hyper Mode | Lunar Fox | Rocket Metal | Sunset Town|