|This location exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this location before the Super Genesis Wave, see South Island (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
South Island is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is an island in the Acorn Archipelago, where Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies have battled Dr. Eggman on several occasions. Unlike most islands, South Island moves around the ocean surface, never staying in one place.
South Island is a holding of the Kingdom of Acorn that was exploited by the duo of Dr. Eggman and Julian Snively, who stole its resources in order to refine them in facilities like the Chemical Plant Zone on Westside Island. Sonic the Hedgehog clashed with Eggman on a number of occasions on South Island, looking to free its inhabitants from the doctor's tyranny and collect all of the Chaos Emeralds. During one adventure here, Sonic was led to the Underground Zone in a trap involving Breezie the Hedgehog. After "rescuing" the female hedgehog, Sonic traveled to the Scrambled Egg Zone, where he was confronted by a prototype Silver Sonic and learned that Breezie had been passing information to Dr. Eggman about his whereabouts, hampering his efforts to save his friend Tails.
- Final Zone
- Green Hill Zone
- Labyrinth Zone
- Marble Zone
- Scrambled Egg Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Spring Yard Zone
- Star Light Zone
- Underground Zone
- South Island was the main setting for both versions of the video game Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Mega Drive and the Master System/Sega Game Gear, alongside Sonic Chaos, and the 8 bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #288, "Genesis of a Hero Part One: Where It All Began"
- ↑ Sonic Super Digest #12, "Sonic Comic Origins: The Traitor"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #268, "Champions Part One: The Gang's All Here"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #269, "Champions Part Two: Climbing the Brackets"