|This location exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Southern Tundra is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is the southern-most continent of the planet Mobius, constantly featuring frozen temperatures and snow storms.
A largely barren, mysterious region, the Southern Tundra first saw visitors during the Forgotten War between the Templar Knights of Aurora and the Order of Ixis. When the conflict ended, few traces remained of the feuding groups, though some structures apparently survived.
For a while it acted as the home to the self-exiled Overlander Nate Morgan and his friend Eddy the Yeti, though after his castle-a remnant of the Order of Ixis' presence-was destroyed in a battle between Sonic, Tails and Ixis Naugus resulting in Eddy's death, Nate returned with the two heroes to Knothole.
Some time later, Sonic returned to the Southern Tundra to place a rose on Eddy's grave, only to be attacked by the recently escaped Ixis Naugus once again. Sonic defeated Naugus however, once again imprisoning him in the Zone of Silence before returning to Knothole.
Most recently, the Xorda dispatched the Quantum Dial in an attempt to destroy the Mobian solar system. Nearly every living Mobian (and one deceased Mobian) rushed to the southern tundra to stop the dial. The battle ended when Sonic used his speed to implode the dial, warping him to the planet Thoraxia, causing everyone to believe he had died.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Oceans & Artic"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Nate Morgan & Eddy the Yeti"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #64, "In Search of..."
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #65, "The Fellowship of the Rings"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #66, "And then There Was One"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #71, "Retro Activity"
- ↑ Sonic Super Special #15, "Naugus Games"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day 2011, "Rematch!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #125, "Sonic Adventure 2.5: Omega"