- For Special Stages in general, see here.
Completing a Special stage will grant the player a Chaos Emerald and if the player has all 7 Chaos Emeralds (by completing all 7 Special Stages), the player will be able to access the game's true final level, Moon Zone, as Sonic after he defeats clears X Zone. Note that the Emeralds are shared, so any character can collect any Chaos Emerald.
For one to access a Special Stage, the player needs to find a Special Spring hidden throughout the following stages. Each of the location's springs will lead to their corresponding Special Stage:
- Neo Green Hill Zone Act 1 (Special Stage 1)
- Secret Base Zone Act 2 (Special Stage 2)
- Casino Paradise Zone Act 1 (Special Stage 3)
- Ice Mountain Zone Act 1 (Special Stage 4)
- Ice Mountain Zone Act 2 (Special Stage 5)
- Angel Island Zone Act 2 (Special Stage 6)
- Cosmic Angel Zone (Special Stage 7)
These springs will launch the character up into outer space, where they get on a board and traverse through a bottomless hole. During the fall, the character will need to collect a certain number of Rings in order to pass through two segments; otherwise the player will fail the opportunity to clear the Special Stage and earn the Emerald. Along the way, the player also needs to avoid bombs which take away the player's rings. The player can press to make the character perform a trick on a board which is essential to collect Rings or avoid obstacles. There is a giant yellow round void that if the player presses at the right time, the player will earn additional rings.
Note that the Special Spring can only be used once per visit to a level, so if the player does fail to get the Chaos Emerald from the Special Stage, he/she won't be able to return back to the Special Stage again in the same visit; The player will spawn next to the spring and can continue from where they left off.
- The boards the character rides on in the Special Stages somewhat resemble Extreme Gear from the Sonic Riders series games although the said series were released a few years later.
|This article or section about a game information is a stub. |
You can help the Sonic News Network by expanding it!