The Speed Type (スピードタイプ Supīdotaipu?) is an ability type used in the Sonic the Hedgehog series and represented by the color blue. It was introduced along with the Power Type and Fly Type in Sonic Heroes. As its name implies, Speed Type characters are generally faster than those of other types.
Appearances in games
The Speed Type was first introduced in Sonic Heroes. Speed Type characters are the fastest in the team and have access to several abilities such as the Homing Attack, Rocket Accel and a Tornado Attack. Speed Types can access specific routes by chain Homing Attack several airborne enemies and by using Tornado Attack to traverse poles and activate propellers.
The Speed Type characters are:
In Team Battles, Speed Types have an advantage over Fly Types, but are weak against Power Types.
Sonic Advance 3
Speed Type teams
- Unbreakable Bond (Sonic & Tails)
- Fighting Buddies (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Lovely Couple (Sonic & Amy)
- Sonic & Cream
- Sonic & Dr. Eggman
Sonic Riders series
In the Sonic Riders series, Speed Type characters are able to utilize grind rails for shortcuts and alternate paths that would be otherwise inaccessible. In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, characters were no longer defined by ability types, instead each Extreme Gear had an ability type depending on the gear type; skate gear could grind on rails and board types could level up to grind on rails. However, each character's starting gear appears to refer to their ability type. Sonic Free Riders reverts to the Sonic Riders method. Regardless, all speed-type characters have excellent top speed with average rating for all other capibilities (acceleration, power and curving).
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series
In the Mario & Sonic series, the Speed type is one of the four character types, along side the Power, Skill, and All-around types. Speed characters are best suited for races, track events as well as other speed-based events. Although unplayable, Jet the Hawk and Banza Bill appear as Speed Type rival characters.
List of Speed Type Characters
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Super Sonic
- Amy Rose
- Metal Sonic
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Espio the Chameleon
- Jet the Hawk
- Blaze the Cat
Non-Sonic Speed Types
Speed Types exclusive to the Mario & Sonic series
- The Speed Type character is usually the leader of his/her team. The only exceptions are Team Dark (led by Rouge, who is a Fly Type) and Team Chaotix. (led by Vector, who is a Power Type)
- Sonic, Amy and Espio are the only organaic Speed Types in the Sonic series not to enhance their natural running speed in the main series.
- Espio is the only Speed Type in the main series that has not shown the ablity to Boost or enter Boost Mode out side of the Special Stages.
- Except for Silver every hedgehog in the series so far is a Speed Type.