|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Spike the Porcupine is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a Mobian porcupine and the leader of the Freedom Fighter group, the Desert Raiders. In reality, he is an associate of Egg Boss Nephthys the Vulture to keep the Midesta Egg Army at bay.
Concept and creation
Spike's appearance and abilities are directly modeled after Sonic's.
Spike bears a strong resemblance to Sonic the Hedgehog, having a very similar body structure and quill style, although Spike has more quills than Sonic. He also has a slightly longer tail and more round ears. He has amber-colored eyes, mainly orange fur with black stripes around the tip of his quills, and peach fur on his front torso and muzzle, the latter which has cheek tuffs. For attire, Spike wears grey-framed red goggles, white gloves with red and black cuffs, tall red and gray boots with white straps, and a black scarf.
Shattered World Crisis
Spike and his team later "rescued" Sonic, Antoine D'Coolette, Big the Cat, and Chip from an ambush from the Midesta Egg Army. After Spike and his team drove off the Egg Soldiers, he was greeted by Sonic himself, shocking the young aspiring hero. Spike aided the Freedom Fighters in saving Ehsan, but was soon revealed to be allies of Egg Boss Nephthys the Vulture.
When Nephthys was called to go to Eggman Land to fight the Naugus Twins, Spike became concerned about her safety. Spike and Sonar later welcomed Nephthys back from her mission. Spike soon watched Sonic and Sally's broadcast, and pretended to join in with the worldwide assault.
Like Sonic, Spike displays a sense of cockiness and a large ego. Underneath this exterior though, he is an overly excited fan boy about Sonic, striving to be just like him and his allies. However, he appears somewhat oblivious, given that he did not recognize Sonic when first meeting him.
Powers and abilities
Spikes possesses a degree of super speed and can perform a maneuver similar to the Spin Attack where he spins around like a whirlwind with his arms out to attack with powerful punches.
- In line with how Spike is modeled after Sonic, his species porcupine is as well closely similar to a hedgehog.
- His spinning attack is similar to Espio the Chameleon's spinning attack from Knuckles' Chaotix.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Sonic the Hedgehog #278, "Letter from the editor"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #278, "Face of the Enemy Part One: Friends in Need"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #279, "Face of the Enemy Part Two: Friends in Deed"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #83, "Eggman's Dozen Part One: Hostile Takeover"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #86, "Eggman's Dozen Part Four: Synergizing"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #283, "The Mission"