Sonic the Hedgehog CD
One of the fastest levels in Sonic history, Stardust Speedway is a highway adorned with musical instruments above an enormous city; like its namesake implies, the city glows with many lights. A statue of Dr. Robotnik can be seen undergoing construction in Zone 2, with girders and incomplete sections.
In the past, the background takes the form of a Roman/Greek-style city, complete with an acropolis and surrounding towns. The night sky is not as bright as it is in the Present due to the lack of technology, but some stars can still be seen. The zone is mainly entangled by vines as well. It also has a Gothic-styled building in the center of Zone 2.
In the Bad Future, Stardust Speedway has become a corrupted, polluted dystopian city underneath a large electrical storm with a completed statue of Dr. Robotnik in the center of Zone 2. The roads and instruments have become corroded and discolored, and no stars can be seen at all.
The Good Future looks like a giant futuristic amusement park, with bright pink and green colors dominating the landscape. It looks upon a vast bay with bright cities in the distance, and the Doctor Robotnik statue has been replaced by a beautiful cathedral in Zone 2.
Near the end of the level, Sonic is pitted against Metal Sonic in a complex race; should Sonic win, he will rescue the captive Amy Rose.
Other game appearances
Stardust Speedway appears in Sonic Generations as the setting of the rival battle between Classic Sonic and Classic Metal Sonic. As opposed to the original race/battle, Dr. Robotnik is absent and instead the path Sonic is on is crumbling behind him, forcing Sonic to move ahead. The battle (as well as the music) is set in the bad future timeline of Stardust Speedway.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal
The level returns in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal in a cutscene showing the defeat and revival of Metal Sonic. The level appears exactly as it was in Sonic Generations.
In other media
- There are some paths in this stage which go up and down, much like Chemical Plant Zone. It is possible that this stage is influenced by Chemical Plant Zone.
- Stardust Speedway in Sonic Generations is the same in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal. Interestingly, the same music has been remixed in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II for the exact same circumstance: an obstacle course race against Metal Sonic.
- In the opening cutscene of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal, after "A long time has passed...", Stardust Speedway is shown in the bad future.
- The cathedral at the center of the good future timeline of Zone 2 appears to reuse the base of the Robotnik statue (seen being built in the present timeline of Zone 2.)
- In Sonic Generations, the unlockable remix of the North American/PC theme is listed as Stardust Speedway Zone.
- A remix of Stardust Speedway's theme (Bad Future) in the Japanese version of Sonic the Hedgehog CD is used as the music for Voxai Colony Alpha in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.