Metal Sonic at the Stardust Speedway Zone.
Metal Sonic is the first rival in the game Sonic Generations. The battle is set in the Bad Future of Stardust Speedway (console/PC) or Casino Night (3DS), representing Sonic CD in the game. The stage is located in the Chemical Plant Hub World after Sonic completes Sky Sanctuary.
The stage begins with Classic Sonic running through Stardust Speedway until Classic Metal Sonic destroys the road. Classic Sonic then uses the falling debris to get back up, along with jumping on top of Classic Metal Sonic. Classic Metal Sonic recovers from the blow and attempts to hit Classic Sonic,but misses. After that, the two begin to battle.
The whole fight is a high-speed chase, with Classic Metal Sonic flying overhead, attacking Classic Sonic. Classic Metal Sonic has a variety of attacks, including the Ring Spark Field, flying into the foreground to snap off street lights to fall on Classic Sonic, and the V. Maximum Overdrive Attack. After Classic Metal Sonic attacks, he will be vulnerable, allowing to counterattack with a spin jump. It takes a total of 4 hits to defeat Classic Metal Sonic on Normal & Hard mode.
Classic Metal Sonic starts the fight by lunging forward at Sonic, forcing Sonic to jump out of the way. After being attacked, Classic Metal Sonic will perform an Electric Shield attack where he generates a huge amount of electricity around and directly underneath him that Sonic must avoid or attack while he's charging it. Classic Metal Sonic's next attack involves snapping off street lights to throw directly at Classic Sonic; Classic Sonic must avoid these by watching the shadows of the streetlights on the road. Finally, Classic Metal Sonic will attack with a powered up version of his first attack, which can avoided by jumping up on higher platforms. Once Classic Metal Sonic is given the final blow, there is a brief cutscene of Classic Sonic kicking Classic Metal Sonic away, who proceeds to explode.
In hard mode, Classic Metal Sonic is much faster, making it harder to avoid his attacks. The order of his attacks also changes; Classic Metal Sonic snaps a total of five street lights at Classic Sonic before performing his Electric Shield attack, as opposed to two.
- This is the only stage in Sonic Generations which directly references Sonic CD.
- Metal Sonic's artwork on the Achievement Icon looks similar to his artwork in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.
- This stage features a remix of the Bad Future music from the JP soundtrack.
- However, a remix of the USA version of this music is unlockable.
- Metal Sonic's Electric Shield attack can be nullified by jumping at him while he's charging up.
- Unlike the original, Classic Sonic cannot stop running; he also does not possess the Super Peel Out move, as Classic Sonic's gameplay is based on the Sega Genesis games rather than the Sega CD.
- Classic Metal Sonic is the only rival that Classic Sonic fights.
- The design of this Stardust Speedway is reused in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal.
- Some of the skyscrapers in the background look similar to the Ionian column design used in Greek architecture (This could be a reference to how Stardust Speedway's past is heavily based on ancient Greece.)
- This is the only Classic boss (rival) fight to have an auto running feature, as if the player does not move the control stick that moves Classic Sonic, Classic Sonic will continue to move at a slow pace that barely keeps him from falling with the disentigrating road.
- The Metal Sonic sounds were recycled from Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2.