|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Super Scourge is the super transformation of Scourge the Hedgehog. This transformation occurred when Scourge used the Anarchy Beryl in his throne to transform in order to combat the combined might of Sonic the Hedgehog, Amy Rose, Rob O' the Hedge, Silver the Hedgehog, Shadow the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic and Rosy the Rascal, who all decided Scourge was a legitimate threat and decided to work together.
Concept and creation
Super Scourge ended up going through four different designs before the final look. Ian also thought it was rather boring with the character's fur just changing color so he expanded it to his clothes as well.
When transformed, Scourge's quills turn upward and his irises have become red, much like Super Sonic's. Unlike Super Sonic however, Super Scourge's fur has turned purple instead of gold and his sclera has become black. Also, Super Scourge's sneakers have become purple, the flames on his jacket blue, his glasses blue, and his scars are darker.
Despite their efforts, the numerous hedgehogs were no match for Super Scourge, who defeated all of them. Super Scourge then proceeded to defeat the combined might of the Knothole Freedom Fighters and Suppression Squad (minus Rotor and Fiona), who had returned to Anti-Mobius expecting Scourge to be defeated. While seeming to be unbeatable, Sonic eventually realized the Anarchy Beryl would have a different (and negative) effect on Scourge to contrast the positive effect the Chaos Emeralds had on him once the transformation ended. Luring Super Scourge away from the others, Sonic managed to stall for time until Super Scourge was tricked by Sonic into de-transforming. As Sonic speculated, the Anarchy Beryl drained him of what energy he had left in his normal form, leaving him vulnerable. Sonic subsequently defeated Scourge and captured him. (StH #196)
- Super Scourge is the first hedgehog not to originate from the games to get a super form.
- Super Scourge's purple coloration is likely due to the fact that purple is the color inverse of green, also, his eyes are black and his irises are red showing that most of his colors are inverses, just as yellow is the color inverse of blue in Sonic's case.
- Super Scourge might last longer than Super Sonic in super form. Sonic says "The "super" forms are the same. Yours may even last a little bit longer than mine."
- In Sonic the Hedgehog #161, there was a data file about Scourge and it said that his fur color changed to golden when in his super form, but head-writer Ian Flynn said it was merely a "goof-up."
- Super Scourge was the first transformation in the comic series' continuity to have the character's clothes change color when transformed.