|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
— Swifty the Shrew, "Blue With Envy"
Swifty the Shrew, also referred to as Shrew Bot, is a character who appears in the Sonic Boom television series. He is a mass-produced, shrew-based robot model built by Dr. Eggman for the purpose of getting Sonic banished from Hedgehog Village.
Credited as one of Dr. Eggman's finest creations to date, the Swiftys are virtually indistinguishable from a living creature, designed to resemble a humanoid shrew with green fur and orange eyes. They have a slightly oblong round ear and thin quill on each side of their head, a pointy peach muzzle with a lone buck tooth, and a furless peach tail. As for attire, they each wear a red Hawaiian shirt with yellow and grey clouds on it, white fingerless gloves, a yellow and green helmet with red swirls on, white shutter shades, and white red sneakers with green laces and lightning bolt symbols.
Created by Eggman, the Swifty Bots' purpose were to get Sonic banished from the Village by preying on Sonic's weakness: his ego. One Swifty robot first appeared at Meh Burger, where he impressed everyone (except Sonic) with his speed and skateboard tricks. Amidst this, Swifty rescued Lady Walrus' baby with his skateboard while humiliating Sonic. He later visited Tails in his workshop, bonding with the fox, much to Sonic's dismay. There, Swifty trash-talked Sonic into competing in a race with him, with the loser being banished from the village, though the rest of Team Sonic had him leave after seeing his behavior.
In their race, Swifty cheated himself to victory by having his doubles take over ahead of Sonic at different points along the course while Sonic was banished. As Eggman then arrived and revealed his plan, the Swiftys ransacked the Village in order for Eggman to build an evil amusement park. However, after a quick conference, Mayor Fink had Sonic brought back and the hedgehog quickly destroyed all the Swiftys.
His Swifty robots a failure, Dr. Eggman stored one of their decapitated heads away in his lair's storage room. While stuck in that room with Knuckles later on, Eggman would show Knuckles the Swifty head when he reflected upon his past projects.
Much like Sonic, the individual Swifty is laid-back with a cool and cocky attitude and an exceedingly large ego. He is an equally big show off, using whatever chance he has to display his skills. Still, he has a strong sense of charm and charisma as he instantly captivated his audience upon his arrival. Endowed with a serious streetwise style, he often speaks using catchphrases and hip urban expressions. Unlike Sonic though, Swifty lacks any sense of decency and politeness, which gives him an exceedingly rude arrogance, and those who do not agree with him are just "losers" to him. He also has no qualms about sabotage and cheating, as demonstrated when he gladly humiliated Sonic during his attempt to compete with him.
Powers and abilities
Swiftys are able to run at super speed. One implied they are faster than Sonic, though this is unconfirmed as they rely more on their skateboards for transportation. The Swiftys apparently also have great strength as it only took three of them to raise a large and solid metal statue.
The Swiftys each carry a tech-based black and red-wheeled skateboard with yellow and black hazards stripes on them. In addition to being skilled at using them for tricks, these skateboards can move at speeds rivaling Sonic's.
- Swifty is an overall representation of 1990's culture, which Sonic originally represented. The present-day Sonic is considerably more toned down than his older representations. Swifty can be seen as an overall parody of the older Sonic from the 90s cartoons voiced by Jaleel White.
- Several of Swifty's traits are similar to Jet the Hawk's:
- Both are primarily colored green.
- Both ride a board-based sports equipment.
- Both are cocky rivals to Sonic, but lack personal consideration for others.
- In "Eggman the Auteur", Eggman shows in his film a statue of Swifty, where he was on one side, which was in "Blue With Envy", the debut of Swifty.
- Swifty is Sonic's first rival to appear in the Sonic Boom television series. He is also Sonic's first rival who is exclusive to the Sonic Boom continuity.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Gralewski, Françoise (7 October 2017). "Lair On Lockdown". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 98. Boomerang.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Lieblich, Doug (14 July 2015). "Blue With Envy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 28. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (4 March 2017). "Blackout". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 69. Boomerang.