Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
In the deep forest, an old castle is located by the lake. Despite its magical appearance, traps like floating pillars, made to protect the castle, will await the duo.
— Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II English website
Sylvania Castle Zone is the first Zone that appears in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II. As the name implies, it is an ancient, booby-trapped castle which has been flooded over the years. The Zone's appearance is a hybrid between Aquatic Ruin Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Marble Garden Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3. It even takes an idea from both of the Zones with the underwater sections from Aquatic Ruin Zone and the spinning wheel obstacle from Marble Garden Zone.
Act 1 - A New Frontier
Months after destroying the E.G.G. Station Zone in Episode I, Sonic comes across Tails once again. Noticing recent activity in the neighboring continent, the duo decide to take a break aboard the Tornado, chatting about Sonic's adventure. They soon come across an old abandoned castle, flooded with water. They decide to land on the grassy lands, trying to see what might unveil there.
Act 2 - Sunken Ruins
After traversing through the outer parts of the castle, Sonic and Tails find themselves inside the water ruins. Many elements from past games appear here.
Act 3 - Moonlit Realm
After escaping the sunken ruins, Sonic and Tails come across a place near the castle filled with lots of pillars and huge buildings, with a beautiful night sky falling upon them. Little Planet can be seen in the background of this stage, surrounded by gleaming metal.
Boss - Dueling Eggman's New Creation
Dr. Eggman appears to greet Sonic and Tails, showing that he has survived from their previous encounter before he flees. As Sonic and Tails catch up, they are surrounded by familiar totem poles and expect a similar fight from the doctor only to be surprised by an all-new mechanical creation.
- The name of this Zone may be a shortening of Transylvania. Also, "Sylvania" literally means "forest land" in Latin, as the ruined castle is surrounded by a dense forest.
- The name could also likely be a reference to Castlevania, a long-running platformer series produced by Konami; by reversing the name to "Castle Sylvania", the name sounds almost identical.
- The Zone bears a strong resemblance to Kingdom Valley from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Kingdom Valley was often noted as somewhat resembling Aquatic Ruin Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- As the player progresses from Act 1 to Act 3, the setting of this Zone changes from day to night. This is similar to Splash Hill Zone from Episode I, where the Zone started out as bright daylight until the third Act which changes to a sunset setting.
- It is noted that Act 2's music contains nods to Aquatic Ruin Zone's music as well as Sonic & Knuckles' Flying Battery Zone's music.
- Act 3's music sounds similar to the Shop Menu music in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
|Sylvania Castle Zone Act 1||Jun Senoue||2:01|
|Sylvania Castle Zone Act 2||Jun Senoue||2:08|
|Sylvania Castle Zone Act 3||Jun Senoue||1:15|