Knuckles and Amy performing a Tag Action
|Statistics and overview|
A special ability performed by two characters
Tag Action (タッグアクション Tagguakushon?) is a special ability used in Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II. Tag Actions are performed by two characters and give the player a unique ability.
Sonic Advance 3
Tag Actions first appeared in Sonic Advance 3, where the player could use the Tag Action to perform special abilities based on the partner character. Each character has two different Tag Action abilities depending on whether the Tag Action is performed on the ground or the air. In order to perform a Tag Action, the player must press and hold the R button to summon the partner character, when summoned, the player will hold the partner character in a ball and once the R button is released, the player will perform the Tag Action. Each character's Tag Actions are as follows:
- Ground Tag Action: The player gains a quick boost of speed and automatically enters Boost Mode.
- Air Tag Action: Same as the ground Tag Action, however, the player gains a boost of speed in the air.
- Ground Tag Action: The player leapfrogs Tails, gaining an immense ascension into the air.
- Air Tag Action: The player will be carried by Tails' Propeller Flying ability for a short time.
- Ground Tag Action: The player launches Knuckles forward, allowing the player to destroy special walls that can only be otherwise destroyed by a Power Type team.
- Air Tag Action: The player will ride on Knuckles' back whilst using his Gilding ability, however, the player will fall off if Knuckles connects with a wall.
- Ground Tag Action: The player is launched into the air with use of Amy's Piko Piko Hammer.
- Air Tag Action: The player gains extra height in the air with use of Amy's Piko Piko Hammer
- Ground Tag Action: Cream's Chao, Cheese turns into a Chao version of the player character, allowing the player to perform Cream's Chao Attack move for a limited time.
- Air Tag Action: Same as the ground Tag Action, however, the player also gains a slight height increase to their jump.
Dr. Eggman has his own special Tag Action when partnered with Super Sonic in the Nonaggression boss fight with Gemerl. When the R button is held, Super Sonic charges Eggman with energy, when released, Eggman will ram into Gemerl, exposing his weak spot and allowing the player to damage Gemerl. How long the weak spot stays open is determined by how long the player holds the R button.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
Tag Actions return in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II. They are utilized by Sonic and Tails, who both share the same Tag Actions. As with Sonic Advance 3, there are different types of Tag Actions depending on where the Tag Action is performed, however, unlike Sonic Advance 3, the player simply has to press /to perform a Tag Action.
When performed on the ground, the characters will perform the Rolling Combo, a stronger version of the Spin Attack. When performed in the air, the characters will perform the Copter Combo, allowing Tails to carry Sonic in the air for a limited time. Performing an Tag Action whilst not on the ground when underwater performs the Submarine Combo, which allows Tails to carry Sonic underwater; this grants the player the ability to propel themselves underwater and move freely in any direction. Unlike the standard air Tag Action, Tails will not tire and can swim indefinitely.
In Act 1 and the Boss of Sky Fortress Zone, the player can use the Tag Action to perform a Tornado Boost while standing on the Tornado. The Tornado Boost allows the player to smash through containers that may be in the way.
- If the player uses a Tag Action whilst playing as Super Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, Sonic will revert to his normal form.
- Amy's Ground Tag Action reappears in Sonic Generations.
- Also in Generations, Classic Tails carries Classic Sonic in a similar way to Tails' Air Tag Action.