|This object exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Tails' Plane is a vehicle that appears in the Sonic Boom franchise. It is a yellow aeroplane belonging to Tails and is his own creation, unlike the Tornado. It serves as Team Sonic's go-to vehicle. Always tinkering with it, the plane is Tails' pride and joy, which he affectionately refers to as a female and his "baby".
Tails' Plane is a single-engine propeller-powered yellow airplane about seven meters long, with a single cockpit that contain a passenger seat at the back. The cockpit possesses no carbine, instead only having a windshield on the front. Its main body is rectangular with a dark grey segment on the bottom, and on the front is a black engine with a two-bladed propeller (which resembles Tails' twin-tails) and two smaller lights below it. Its two wings curve up at the tips and are equipped with handles for passengers to hold onto, and turnable jet engines. Its rear is emblazoned with Tails' symbol. It also has a bobblehead of an air captain.
Features and abilities
In addition to being fairly fast, Tails' Plane is highly maneuverable like Moth Bot, capable of making sharp turns in close spaces. When needed for stationary flight, the plane can adjust the two jet engines on its wings into a vertical position to keep it fixed in midair. The plane also has an on-board computer system with wireless networking for detection and various analyses. In addition, it possesses a laser targeting system for attachable weapons. It also features a cooling system and a highly advanced (albeit not infallible) autopilot system.
Tails' Plane possesses a surprisingly high modular design, being able to use different forms of gadgets and armaments, such as a grabbling claw and Tails' Unbolterizer. The bottom of the plane also features a storage compartment for dropping various forms of aerial bombs. A more novel function is a sound system built into the wings.
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
Built by himself, Tails took his place into usage after the loss of the Tornado, though he would accidentally place a Manufacturer's Warranty on it despite being the manufactor himself (even giving himself a receipt). Tails' Plane would later be used on a number of occasions to travel to Dr. Eggman's lair, whenever Tails was not tinkering with it. During a battle with Octopus Bot, Tails tried using his untested Unbolterizer from his plane, but it malfunctioned, got him knocked down and endangered his team. After fixing his invention, Tails used his plane and his Unbolterizer to save his team after they were caught by T.W. Barker. Later on, Tails used his plane to make a sand sculpture with his friends, though he had to clean sand out of its gaskets afterwards.
During Moth Bot's attack, Tails had his plane drop mothballs on the robot, staggering it long enough for Sonic to defeat it. Eventually, Tails' friends thought he spent too much time on his plane and got him to take a break. Weeks later though, Tails began having mechanical trouble with it due to the robotic cans for Eggman's Tomato Sauce infecting it. Soon, the plane went rogue and attacked Team Sonic, but Tails managed to hotwire it and return it to his control in time to foil Eggman's latest scheme.
While out in his plane, Tails found a Granifer Giganticus whom Sonic and Knuckles awoke. Tails tried to fight Rocky, but his plane was heavily damaged, leaving Tails to repair it while Sonic, Knuckles and Amy used another method to reach Sticks on a peak. Then, when Eggman's systems were taken over by Nominatus, Tails' Plane was remotely controlled by Orbot and Cubot when they used a digital version of it in cyberspace. As such, Tails' Plane flew around haphazardly until Nominatus was stopped. Later, as Team Sonic was called to arms to defend Chez Amy, Tails used his plane for a bombardment of the invading Badniks. Another time, the plane was used by Sonic, Amy and Sticks alone to reach Eggman's lair and save an alternate Knuckles. The plane was also used by Tails to help keep the villagers safe from Octopus Bot which Dave the Intern was using, until Sonic stopped it.
After being used for Sonic and Knuckles' wheelbarrow race, Tails used his plane for a battle with Decimator Bot, but was too distracted by Zooey to pull off the Speeding Swing Surprise. When Eggman's Giant Robot caught Zooey, Tails save her and destroy the robot with the Unbolterizer using his plane. Tails' Plane was also used to take Team Sonic into a battle with Obliterator Bot, the majority of the team hanging from it by Enerbeams. Coming under attack by Eggman's league of villains dubbed Team Eggman later on, Tails used his plane to survey for his team when Willy Walrus attacked in Moth Bot. After a close aerial battle, Tails and his plane got Willy to crash into a mountain.
One time, Tails used his plane to bring Sticks to Eggman's lair for an investigation, only to leave it to itself to save Sticks when she spontaneously jumped out of the aircraft. The plane was later take out to sea by Team Sonic to investigate some seismic activity. Discovering Eggman's Wave Machine, the team would return in the plane with diving equipment. Tails himself guided the team from his plane and even donated its hose to save Sonic, before taking his team home with his plane after they beat Eggman. Dimwitted Tails clones would later take the plane for a ride through the Village Center, making it much harder for Amy to catch the clones. Tails later used his plane for scouting while his team fought the Egg Tank, during which it took a few nasty hits.
When Sonic was attacked by Dr. Eggman's Spider-Kart during the Go-kart Pan-island Grand Prix, Tails' Plane was used by Tails, Knuckles and Amy in a successful attempt to both distract and damage Eggman's vehicle, enabling Sonic to win the race. After some trouble finding a parking spot for the plane, the team joined the attack.
- Tails' affection for his plane mirrors the affection Dr. Eggman has for his Eggmobile.
- Tails' Plane has its own action figure.
- In France, Tails' Plane is referred to as the "Tornado."
- Tails' Plane is similar to the Tornado Racer from Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Tuber, Douglas; Maile, Tim (11 April 2015). "Sleeping Giant". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 21. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Steven Frost on Twitter. Twitter (8 November 2014). Retrieved on 14 November 2014. “Steven Frost: Poor Tails... He always seems to be crashing planes. Fortunately, this one was built by the Ancients and not actually him. #SonicBoom”
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (21 March 2015). "Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 18. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (29 November 2014). "Double Doomsday". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 7. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Raut-Siezac, Natalys (25 April 2015). "Let's Play Musical Friends". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 23. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (24 December 2016). "I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 59. Boomerang.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (7 February 2015). "Circus of Plunders". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 12. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sam Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (5 December 2016). Retrieved on 5 December 2016. “Alexander Soerensen: Did Tails' Plane have an autopilot in Nutwork? It just does not seem like him to let his babies crash without him in them. / Sam Freiberger: The Tornado has a highly advanced autopilot system. Better to fly it manually when possible; Nothing beats a skilled pilot.”
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Freiberger, Sam (26 November 2016). "Nutwork". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 55. Boomerang.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harrison, Reid (14 March 2015). "Don't Judge Me". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 17. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Harrison, Reid (13 July 2015). "Chez Amy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 27. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Lieblich, Doug (8 November 2014). "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days?". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 2. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Pugsley, Tom; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (31 January 2015). "Cowbot". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 11. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (28 February 2015). "Aim Low". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 15. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Moarbes, Charles-Henri (23 July 2015). "Two Good to Be True". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 35. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Harrison, Reid (1 August 2015). "Next Top Villain". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 37. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (22 August 2015). "Tails' Crush". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 40. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harisson, Reid (24 October 2015). "Role Models". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 49. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (14 November 2015). "It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 52. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Lachenaud, Marine; Lachenaud, Cedric (7 January 2017). "Multi-Tails". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 61. Boomerang.
- ↑ Beardmore, Marie (14 January 2017). "Strike!". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 62. Boomerang.
- ↑ Sonic Boom #7, "Everybody's Super Sonic Racing Part 2"
- ↑ Tails - Personnages - Sonic Boom (French). Retrieved on 22 December 2014.