ESRB: Kids to Adults (K-A)
Tails Adventure (テイルスアドベンチャー Teirusu Adobenchā?), also known as Tails Adventures, is a video game developed by Aspect and distributed by SEGA in 1995 for the video game console Sega Game Gear. It is the first spin-off game of the Sonic series to mix platforming and role-playing game elements. It was the second and last game in which Tails is without Sonic, although it is the first that was not only released in Japan. The game does not follow the plot line of other games in the Sonic series, and the game's plot is different in the Japanese and Western versions of the game. It is considered to take place before Sonic and Tails met, although the English manual states otherwise. Regardless, Tails must save an island from a threat, getting objects and Chaos Emeralds that he obtains during his passage. It has since been re-released on Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Gems Collection.
Somewhere in the South Pacific is the tiny Cocoa Island, resting atop coral reefs and not found on any map. Miles "Tails" Prower lives on the island, and the young fox boy resides in a humble laboratory where he conducts research. One afternoon, he is taking a nap under the shade of the forest just outside Tails' House. His slumber is interrupted by a huge explosion, and before Tails can say "stop, drop, and roll" the whole place is ablaze. A frantic Flicky reports the bad news to a confused Tails: the imperial Battle Kukku Army has invaded Cocoa Island. The dictator Great Battle Kukku 15th has discovered the six Chaos Emeralds which have been resting on the island since ancient times, and intends to use their power to conquer the entire world. Tails is the only one who can put a stop to the imperial army in time.
Note that the English manual contains some contradictory details. In this version, Cocoa Island is named Tails Island and is Tails' favorite vacation spot, and the game does not take place before Tails met Sonic. Re-releases such as Sonic Gems Collection support the above version of the storyline.
Contrary to the classic speedy gameplay in the Sonic series, Tails Adventure is a puzzle-based platformer with a strong emphasis on item collecting and backtracking, like a side-scrolling action RPG. Some even say the gameplay resembles that of Metroid, among other aspects as well.
Tails can walk, jump, duck, look up, fly, hang on ledges, and throw all manner of bombs. His health is measured numerically by a Ring Item Box at the top left corner of the screen. HP is replenished by collecting Rings, which can be found by blowing up rocks or defeating enemies. He starts with 10 HP, but that number maxes out at 99 when all six Chaos Emeralds have been collected. His air time is limited by the flight gauge, which starts at about 3 seconds and maxes out at about 15.
In total there are 12 stages to complete. There are 26 items to collect over the course of the game. Each one serves a different purpose, but Tails can only bring 4 items with him into any stage. Knowing which ones to bring along is a matter of tactic.
Essential to complete the game in most parts however is the Remote Robot (AKA Mecha Tails). The Remote Robot is a tiny, all-terrain robot modeled on Tails who can squeeze into a lot of places Tails himself can't. When using Remote Robot, Tails stands in place while player control is switched to the vehicle. The Remote Robot can walk, jump, fly, and squeeze into tiny places, but if it takes damage from an enemy or a blue laser, control will automatically return to Tails. Nearly all of the game's puzzles involve maneuvering the robot to open the path for Tails himself.
Under water, the Remote Robot changes into the Sea Fox, the small submarine (from Sonic Triple Trouble) that moves in much the same way that the Remote Robot does. (Unlike most of the other Sonic games, oxygen is unlimited because when Tails is in the Sea Fox, he can breathe underwater.)
Battle Kukku ArmyEdit
The Battle Kukku Army are an army of birds that invade Cocoa Island in order to find the Chaos Emeralds sealed since ancient times. Tails battles the army and after he defeats their leader, the birds surrender. The Battle Kukku Army consists of uniformed birds, somewhat intelligent robot drones and advanced machinery. The Battle Kukku Army lives on a huge flying fortress that posed as an island throughout most of Tails Adventure.
Notable dubious members of the Battle Kukku Army include:
- Great Battle Kukku 15th - The dictator-like leader of the army. He is larger than most Kukkus, and is the final boss of the game battled in his flying fortress. He fights by throwing bombs all around him and throwing Tails himself if the fox gets too close.
- Battle Kukku 16th AKA Speedy - The son of Great Battle Kukku 15th and Tails' Rival. Speedy is a quick green Kukku who, despite his natural and fast aerial skills, sometimes wears armor equipped with an energy gun and a jet engine that lets him take even faster flight. He appears as a boss twice throughout the game, first on Pori Pori Mountain and then in the flying fortress just before the player faces his father.
- Dr. Fukurokov - The army's main scientist. He is the first boss of the flying fortress, but does not actually fight, as he instead lets his defensive machinery take care of Tails. His tendency to overlook little details is his greatest weakness.
- Poloy Forest
- Volcanic Tunnel
- Polly Mountain 1
- Lake Rocky
- Cavern Island
- Green Island
- Lake Crystal
- Polly Mountain 2
- Caron Forest
- Coco Island
- Included amongst the various items Tails can use in this game is a Pikkon Hammer bearing a surprising resemblance to Amy Rose's favorite weapon, the Piko Piko Hammer in later games, such as Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes.
- The Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog comics spin-off, Sonic Universe, had made an adaption based off of Tails Adventure, having Miles "Tails" Prower treating Antoine D'Coolette and Bunnie Rabbot-D'Coolette to their first honeymoon after their wedding.
- This game's box art reads "Tails Adventure" in all regions, but the title screen in the actual game says "Tails Adventures".
- This is the last game that Tails is the main character in.
- Tails' "bomb throwing" bears a resemblance to Bomb Man's Hyper Bomb.
- Review from Concept: Mobius
- Tails Adventures at Green Hill Zone - Contains general info and walkthrough of the game
|Sonic the Hedgehog handheld video games|
|Sonic the Hedgehog · 2 · Chaos · Triple Trouble · Labyrinth · Blast · Tails Adventure · Tails' Skypatrol · Pocket Adventure · Advance · Advance 2 · Battle · Advance 3 · Rush · Genesis · Rivals · Rush Adventure · Rivals 2 · Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood · 4: I · Colors · Generations · 4: II · Lost World|