Tails Doll (テイルス・ドール Teirusudōru?) (also mistakenly called Puppet Tails or Tails Puppet) is a doll version of Tails built by Dr. Robotnik. He is comparable to Tails in the same way that Metal Sonic is comparable to Sonic. The Tails Doll has a metal rod protruding out of the top of its head that leads to a red gem that seems to control the robot's movements. The Tails Doll appeared only in Sonic R, as an unlockable character on the Radical City course by collecting 5 Sonic Tokens, finishing in at least third, then beating him in a race.
Tails Doll has poor handling, average acceleration and average top speed. He is the slowest character in the game, but he can glide over water like most of his metal allies, and he has a strange floating ability as his "air action", allowing him to remain airborne longer than Tails can.
As a last resort, Eggman manufactured this to catch Sonic unprepared. This, except for the power plant embedded in its head, is a mere stuffed animal, whose meager form nevertheless exhibits considerable ability in races due to its lightweight design. Still, it is also able to float in the air for a long time.
Also known as "Project Deadly Cuddles," it was a robot sent by into New Mobotropolis by Dr. Eggman. It is first shown lying alone on a rock amongst some wreckage and picked up by Cream the Rabbit during Titan Metal Sonic's assault on the city. Cream saw the doll and assumed that it had an owner who dropped it in the assault, and so takes it with her in an attempt to find whoever owned it, unaware that it was sent by Eggman. The Tails Doll acts as both a spy and saboteur for Eggman as it is able to disrupt nanites which it did so in an attempt to kill Mina, and also allow Metal Sonic to bypass the city shield. The Tails Doll has also exhibited two transformations, the first one which makes it huge, gives it claws, glowing eyes, and a mouthful of sharp teeth, and the second transforming it into some kind of eldritch abomination, Tails Doll uses both of these forms in its battle against Team Freedom. Some off-panels feature it scaring characters like Tails or Cheese while Cream isn't looking, most likely because of how many fans are afraid of it.
- Although not the same character, in Sonic Adventure, there are doll versions of Tails, Sonic, and Knuckles used as target practice dummies for Eggman's robots (such as E-102 Gamma in Final Egg). They appear incapable of moving on their own as the Tails Doll can.
- In Sonic Rivals, the doll version of Tails from Sonic Adventure appears on a collectible card named, "Tails Doll."
- Scratch and Grounder once tried to lure Sonic into a trap using a Tails-shaped doll in "Grounder the Genius", an episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, the doll was later re-used by Katella in the episode "Zoobotnik".
- The Tails Doll makes a brief cameo in Archie Sonic the Hedgehog #134 along with Pyjamas, Ebony, Shortfuse and Tekno. It appears next to Big when King Max starts giving the announcement that Sally Acorn is going to rule the kingdom in his absence. He also appears on the last page of story 1 in the top left section of the audience. He then later reappears in issue 231 as part of an attack operation by Doctor Eggman.
- Tails Doll appears in the Japanese Sonic app Sonic Tweet as a card that can be won.
- Tails Doll is popular on the Internet, where people make up violent stories called "Creepypastas" about him. His scary nature appears to be reflected by Archie Comics plans for him, as evidenced in a recent "Sonic-Grams" in which the person answering the letters said he couldn't mention how Tails Doll would impact the story because he was too scared. They further referenced the creepypastas when Tails Doll revealed its true form shortly before the second Genesis Wave, which was seen again after the Worlds Collide event and resembles a sort of gigantic robotic centipede. Sonic even refers to it as creepy.
- In the game Sonic Colors, Eggman's Sonic Simulator features two Virtual Hedgehogs with red gems on their heads similar to the Tails Doll's.
- In Sonic and the Black Knight, Tails Doll makes a cameo in the fan art section.
- Writer Karl Bollers intended to use Tails Doll as an antagonist in the Archie Comics series following Sonic's year long absence in space. Tails Doll would have been built by an amnesiac Nate Morgan to serve Metal Sonic. The plans were dropped after Bollers left the comic following Sonic the Hedgehog #134.
|Characters||Sonic (Super Sonic) | Tails | Knuckles | Amy | Dr. Robotnik | Metal Sonic | Tails Doll | EggRobo | Metal Knuckles|
|Courses||Resort Island | Radical City | Regal Ruin | Reactive Factory | Radiant Emerald|
|Objects||Accelerator | Balloon | Chaos Emeralds | Item Panels/Power-Up Items (Fleet Feet, Numbered Item Panel/Numbered Power-Up Item, Lightning Shield, Water Shield) | Ring Gate | Rings | Sonic Token/Sonic Coin | Spring|
|Moves/Techniques||Flying | Gliding | Homing Missile | Spin Dash Roll | Turbo Boost|
|Sonic R||Back in Time | Can You Feel the Sunshine | Diamond in the Sky | Living in the City | Super Sonic Racing | Work It Out | You're My Number One|
|Other||Egg Mobile | Gallery | Loop | Time Attack|