The Tails Doll (テイルス・ドール Teirusudōru?) is a doll version of Tails built by Dr. Robotnik. He is comparable to Tails in the same way that Metal Sonic is comparable to Sonic. The Tails Doll has a metal rod protruding out of the top of its head that leads to a red gem that seems to control the robot's movements. The Tails Doll appeared only in Sonic R, as an unlockable character on the Radical City course by collecting five Sonic Tokens, finishing in at least third, then beating him in a race.
Tails Doll has poor handling, average acceleration and average top speed. He is the slowest character in the game, but he can glide over water like most of his metal allies, and he has a strange floating ability as his "air action", allowing him to remain airborne longer than Tails can.
Tails Doll is infamous for his "scary profile" among Sonic fans, as countless memes have expressed this. In fact, in the Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog comics, he is portrayed as a killer-cuddly-doll.
- As a last resort, Eggman manufactured this to catch Sonic unprepared. This, except for the power plant embedded in its head, is a mere stuffed animal, whose meager form nevertheless exhibits considerable ability in races due to its lightweight design. Still, it is also able to float in the air for a long time.
In other media
The Tails Doll makes an appearance in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. Also known as "Project Deadly Cuddles," was it a robot sent into New Mobotropolis by Dr. Eggman. It is first shown lying alone on a rock amongst some wreckage and picked up by Cream the Rabbit during Titan Metal Sonic's assault on the city. Cream saw the doll and assumed that it had an owner who dropped it in the assault, and so took it with her in an attempt to find whoever owned it, unaware that it was sent by Eggman. The Tails Doll acted as both a spy and saboteur for Eggman as it was able to disrupt nanites which it did so in an attempt to kill Mina, and also allow Metal Sonic to bypass the city shield.
The Tails Doll has also exhibited two transformations, the first one which makes it huge, gives it claws, glowing eyes, and a mouthful of sharp teeth, and the second transforming it into some kind of eldritch abomination.
- Although not the same character, in Sonic Adventure, there are doll versions of Tails, Sonic, and Knuckles used as target practice dummies for Eggman's robots (such as E-102 Gamma in Final Egg). They appear incapable of moving on their own as the Tails Doll can.
- In Sonic Rivals, the doll version of Tails from Sonic Adventure appears on a collectible card named, "Tails Doll."
- Tails Doll is popular on the Internet, where people make up horror stories called "Creepypastas" about him. His scary nature is reflected by Archie Comics, as evidenced in a recent "Sonic-Grams" in which the person answering the letters said he couldn't mention how Tails Doll would impact the story because he was too scared. They further referenced the creepypastas when Tails Doll revealed its ability to transform into a horrid monster. Sonic even refers to it as creepy.
- In the game Sonic Colors, Eggman's Sonic Simulator features two Virtual Hedgehogs with red gems on their heads similar to the Tails Doll's.
- In Sonic and the Black Knight, Tails Doll makes a cameo in the fan artwork section.