|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the IDW Publishing continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Woo! And ow. Woo and ow!
— Tangle the Lemur, Sonic the Hedgehog #4
Tangle the Lemur is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by IDW Publishing. She is an anthropomorphic ring-tailed lemur and a heroic ally of Sonic the Hedgehog. She first became aquatinted with Sonic and his friends during the fallout after the Resistance-Eggman Empire war, when she sprung into action to defend her village from one of the Badnik hordes terrorising villages across the world.
Concept and creation
Tangle came about when the staff at IDW Publishing wanted a kick-butt female Sonic character who could accompany Sonic on his adventures. Since none of the main female Sonic characters were able to fit that occupation, Tangle, who would be able to easily go on Sonic's adventures and look cool while doing it, was conceptualized.
Before even being given a name, IDW wanted Tangle "to be like a lot of other great Sonic characters and have a special ability tied to one of her features." She was ultimately inspired by the prototype Sonic design. One of the concepts for Sonic was a rabbit that could use his ears to pick up and throw objects. After brainstorming for animals who could do cool stuff with their features, the staff decided on a ring-tailed lemur, whose tail could prove a very versatile weapon. Finally, she was given the name "Tangle" as a reference to how she likes to "tangle" with bad guys.
Tangle is an anthropomorphic ring-tailed lemur with primarily white fur and purple eyes. She possesses a small black nose and a long bushy tail with gray stripes. She also has gray fur around her muzzle and between eyes, and dark gray fur around the sides of her eyes and on her round ears. She also has extra fur on top of head and chest, and small cheek tufts.
Tangle wears a short-sleeved black bodysuit with orange stripes down the sides, a yellow sleeveless top, and detailed yellow hi-tops with white laces and soles, black details, and orange cuffs. She also wears yellow sportstape around her wrists and fingerless black gloves with orange backings.
While dealing with a large and much more organized Badnik attack on her town, Tangle met Sonic the Hedgehog when he came to help save her town. While they fought Badniks, Tangle heard from Sonic that the Badnik gangs had become more organized as of late. No sooner, the two got cornered by multiple Badniks. Fortunately, Blaze soon showed up and joined the fray. After the Badniks had been dealt with, Sonic introduced Tangle to Blaze, whom she thanked for her aid. Upon hearing from Blaze that she had come to Sonic's world to prevent some kind of "terrible event" however, Tangle brought up the possibility that the recent organized Badniks could be a sign that something worse was on the way. After Blaze decided to stay until she knew what her purpose here was, she offered Tangle to quell the fires in her town. Amazed by Blaze, Tangle accepted her help and thanked Sonic for his help before he left town.
Heroic and just as fearless as Sonic the Hedgehog, Tangle is scrappy and loves to tangle with bad guys. However, she can be somewhat careless in battle, like using her tail in a way that gets it injured and focusing more on cheering than watching out for enemies.
Tangle is a friendly, polite, helpful and open person. While having seen and overcome her own fair share of challenges in the form of Badniks, she is not as experienced an adventurer as Sonic, and has thus seen little of the more outlandish subjects that exist out there, like a pyrokinetic princess from another dimension who guards fiery Emeralds. While such signs tend to leave her speechless, she is nonetheless quick to be amazed by them.
Powers and abilities
Tangle's main draw is a highly prehensile tail that she can use and manipulate in various ways as if it was a third arm. In practice, her tail can whip, snap, grip, curl, and even make a hand to form a fist with. In addition, her tail can extend and contract at will, thus allowing her to wield it as a rope, a bungee cord, a slingshot, or even a pully for herself. It also has enough strength to dent Badnik armor with a single strike.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tangle has been described as a "kindred spirit" to Sonic the Hedgehog, who has many things in common with her, namely their skill and enjoyment in battling Badniks, as well as the confidence they share in doing so.
Blaze the Cat
- Tangle is the first identified character exclusive to the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series that was revealed to the public, and the first not to appear in the Archie Comics.
- Tangle was first teased as an obscured silhouette in an artwork on Facebook that featured her and Sonic. This image was first revealed five days prior to the release of the first four issues' solicitations for the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. The image was updated regularly to show more of the silhouette, up until her unveiling on 24 January 2018.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ian Flynn on Twitter. Twitter (24 January 2018). Retrieved on 27 January 2018. “Alexander Soerensen: Who designed Tangle? / Ian Flynn: @tyson_hesse took my vague ideas and made magic happen.”
- ↑ Ian Flynn on Twitter. Twitter (24 April 2018). Retrieved on 25 April 2018. “ Mlick: While sketching her, a question came to mind. @IanFlynnBKC May i ask, how old is Tangle? / Ian Flynn: 15yo like Sonic”
- ↑ Schoepfer, Nich (1 May 2018). BumbleKast #67: Does Tangle like to “Move it! Move it!”?!?. Sonic Source. Retrieved on 25 July 2018. “Ian Flynn: Her favorite food is strawberries.”
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Yehl, Joshua (24 January 2018). Sonic the Hedgehog's Newest Ally Is Tangle the Ring-tailed Lemur. IGN. Retrieved on 24 January 2018.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Thurmond, Joey (15 February 2018). Writer Ian Flynn Discusses Giving The Sonic Comic Series A Fresh Start. Gameinformer. Retrieved on 16 February 2018.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Fallout Part 4"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 McDonell, Jeffrey (24 January 2018). IDW Publishing’s New Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Premieres in April. Gamnesia. Retrieved on 26 January 2018.