The Chaotix (カオティクス Kaotikusu?), also known as Team Chaotix (チームカオティクス Chīmu Kaotikusu?) and originally the Chaotix Crew, are a group that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Originally formed to combat Dr. Eggman's uprising in the Newtrogic High Zone, the Chaotix was eventually reformed into the Chaotix Detective Agency, a band of detectives-for-hire consisting of Vector the Crocodile, Espio the Chameleon and Charmy Bee.
Though not as involved in the ongoing world-spanning conflicts as often as Sonic the Hedgehog and his other allies are, the Chaotix are nonetheless a competent trio when the need arises, and are always ready to lend a hand in the face of danger
In Knuckles' Chaotix, each of Vector, Espio, Charmy, and Mighty came by himself to investigate a mysterious island which rose from the depths of the ocean. Upon arriving, however, most of them were captured by Dr. Eggman, planning to use the island's energy source to build the Newtronic High Zone, and were put in the Combi Catcher, one of the amusement park's attractions. As Knuckles arrived, he managed to fend off Eggman trying to kidnap Espio, and then went on to free the others as well. The group teamed up to stop the Doctor's evil plan, forming the Chaotix, and surprisingly also got support from two of Eggman's robots, Heavy and Bomb.
After defeating Eggman in the park's five main attractions, Metal Sonic merged with the Stage Select machine and used its deadly traps to stop the Chaotix. After destroying the machine, Metal Sonic fled back to his creator who used a Giant Ring to escape, but not before sending a giant, red monstrous robot to eliminate the Chaotix. With nothing left but the core of the Newtronic High Zone, the Chaotix managed to defeat the robot and free Carnival Island from Dr. Eggman's schemes once and for all.
In Sonic Heroes the Chaotix run a private detective agency, and never turn down any work that pays. They end up being hired by a mysterious client involving getting rid of Dr. Eggman. However, their job is eventually revealed to be to release Eggman, and to stop Metal Sonic, who had earlier mutinied against his master. Besides fighting against "Eggman" (actually Metal Sonic in disguise), Chaotix also had run-in with Team Dark and Team Rose, the former due to their mistaking them for Eggman's henchmen (to Team Dark's disgust) and the latter due to miscommunication that led Team Rose to believe they were responsible for abducting Chocola (Cheese's twin sibling) as they thought Cheese was one of the Chao Eggman abducted. In the game, Espio is Speed type, Charmy is Fly type, and Vector is Power type. Their missions are special when compared to other teams in the game, as they have to complete a certain objective in order to finish the level. Usually the missions involve gathering a certain amount of objects. Their extra missions are basically the same like the normal missions: the goal is the same but with added difficulty. Their Team Blast is Chaotix Recital. It destroys all enemies in its area of effect and makes each of them drop 5, 10, or 20 rings.
Shadow the Hedgehog
In Shadow the Hedgehog, the Chaotix were working on a secret case. Charmy in particular was sent to Prison Island by Vector to locate secret discs for G.U.N.. Afterwards, the trio met in one of Eggman's bases to hack his computer. As Shadow arrived and opened a portal to the Mad Matrix, Vector had Espio follow the hedgehog and extract information from the terminals. Some time later, Vector entered the Space Colony ARK to find the main computer room. Joining up with Shadow, the duo found the room, only to be attacked by Black Doom whom they defeated, allowing Vector to regroup with the Chaotix.
In the control room, Vector rushed Espio to hack the ARK's computer, fearing to lose all the recovered data. Charmy however had enough of waiting and rammed the computer. To everyone's surprise, it worked and gave them access to a secret message from Gerald Robotnik which played all around the world, revealing his true intentions behind Shadow's creation and giving Shadow the determination to defeat Black Doom for good.
Sonic Rivals 2
In Sonic Rivals 2, the Chaotix were hired to investigate recent Chao disappearances. Suspecting Silver the Hedgehog as the culprit, Vector sent Espio to investigate him. However, Espio befriended the hedgehog and learned his true intentions for hiding the Chao was to protect them from Dr. Eggman Nega. When finding out that Espio had failed his mission, Vector was furious as he already spent their client's money on rent payments.
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, the Chaotix helped G.U.N. gather clues about the Marauders and find out where they imprisoned Knuckles. After pinning down four possible hideouts, Vector met Sonic over G.U.N.'s channel and promised his team would gather intel on Shade.
In the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors, the Chaotix were tasked to investigate Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park and find Dr. Eggman. Arriving there, the group split up to scout Planet Wisp for clues. However, Charmy got distracted by the attractions while Espio utilized the local hazards to train. As both of them ran into Sonic and Tails, Vector awaited their reports before meeting Sonic as well. Fearing Sonic's involvement would cost the Chaotix their reward, Vector initially told Sonic to leave, but allowed his help once Charmy provided a clue. When their search yielded no result though, Espio reunited with his team too. Seemingly giving up on their objective, Vector looked for other jobs for the Chaotix, even offering Sonic to join their agency.
In Sonic Generations, the Chaotix helped prepare a surprise birthday party for Sonic. As the party began, the Time Eater suddenly appeared and created Time Holes which transported Espio to Seaside Hill, Vector to Rooftop Run and Charmy to Planet Wisp, turning them into statues in the White Space.
Eventually, the detectives were restored to normal by Sonic and his past self, and they soon appeared to cheer on both Sonics as they confronted the Time Eater, controlled by Dr. Eggman. Upon the Time Eater's defeat, the Chaotix were transported back to the present where they resumed the celebration and later waved goodbye to Classic Sonic and Classic Tails as they returned to their own time.
Other game appearances
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
In the DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, the Chaotix were sent to investigate Whitestones. While Charmy got to guard a gate in Cubyrinth, Vector and Espio headed to Icepeak. However, Vector grew disinterested and skipped out on work to compete in an event. There, he met Sonic, Mario and the gang, and joined their adventure to get out of work. Planning to pick up Charmy, the group ran into Espio who was angry at Vector for interrupting his own investigation, but was willing to finish alone. Back in Cubyrinth, Charmy refused to open the gate for the team until Vector remembered they had to answer a quiz. After answering it correctly, Charmy happily reunited with his friend.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, the Chaotix visited London to participate in the Olympic Games. Soon after their arrival, however, the Phantasmal Fog started covering London and the trio split up to get behind its secret as each of them assisted some athletes in destroying Fog Machines and returning the city to its former glory.
Sonic Runners series
In Sonic Runners, Vector, Espio and Charmy are all playable characters, where they are assigned a "Chaotix" personality Type, allowing each of them to boost the number of collected Rings by 75%.
During the "Birthday on Windy Hill" event, the Chaotix were kidnapped by Dr. Eggman on their way to Sonic's birthday party. While escaping their holding place, they learned Eggman was planning something in a nearby base, unaware they were being fed the information for a trap. The Chaotix tracked down Team Sonic to pass on their intel, but not before giving Sonic a birthday surprise. After all the Death Egg drones were destroyed, they joined Sonic's celebration and wished him a happy birthday.
Sonic Runners Adventure
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, the Chaotix are the guardians of the Special Zone and were founded by the Omni-Viewer. In this continuity the group consists of Vector, Espio, Charmy, and Mighty. Nack the Weasel was also an early member, but quit the group and betrayed them to the Brotherhood of Metallix.
They first appeared when Knuckles arrived in the Special Zone. Believing Knuckles to be a servant of Doctor Robotnik, the Omni-Viewer summoned the Chaotix to fight him. When the truth was discovered, Knuckles briefly joined forces with them in order to fight a greater threat.
Sonic the Hedgehog was later trapped in the Special Zone for an extended period, and spent much time with the Chaotix. During this period he met several of the Chaotix's own enemies, such as Lord Sidewinder, as well as Mighty's senile father Blockhead Bill. The Chaotix were instrumental in imprisoning Super Sonic, first within the Omni-Viewer's time field and then within the Black Asteroid.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Chaotix are a group of detectives who would take on almost every job to make their rent, but often end up saving the world along the way.
Prior to the Super Genesis Wave rewriting both the world and its history, the Chaotix were a group of Freedom Fighters who were closely affiliated with Knuckles. They came together to help Knuckles free the Knothole Freedom Fighters from Dr. Ivo Robotnik's captivity and had since assisted Knuckles in his duties as Guardian of Angel Island, before later aiding the world as a whole against the Eggman Empire as well.
In Sonic X, Vector, Espio and Charmy appear as members of a detective agency in one episode of Season 2, in which Vanilla the Rabbit hired them to find her daughter Cream. Their search eventually brought them to the Thorndyke residence, where they believed Cream was being held hostage by the family while spying through the window. After Espio's failed attempt to sneak into the house (being knocked out accidentally by Amy's hammer while invisible), Vector and Charmy decide to storm into the house and a fight breaks out between Sonic's friends and the two detectives. But before it can escalate anymore, Sonic and Vanilla arrive and clear up the whole ordeal.
They played a larger role in season 3, seen mostly delivering items that Chris' family teleported to their world from Earth. Afterwards, they found themselves lost in space until crossing paths with Sonic and crew again, who helped them fix their ship. They were present during the final battle between the Metarex and Sonic. They decided to take part in fighting the Metarex alongside with the heroes when Shadow crashed their ship on the Metarex mothership.
- According to Takashi Iizuka, the Team Chaotix invented in Sonic Heroes were recreated as new characters from the same characters in Knuckles' Chaotix when Sonic Heroes was designed, ignoring certain traits that had been established in Knuckles' Chaotix that would have contradicted their intent in the game.
- Team Chaotix is the only team in Sonic Heroes to consist entirely of non-mammalian animals, since Vector and Espio are reptiles and Charmy is an insect.
- In Sonic Heroes, Team Chaotix is the only team where the speed type is not a hedgehog. In fact, it is the only team which does not contain a hedgehog.
- Team Chaotix is also the only team to have the Power Character as the team leader. Team Sonic and Rose's team leader are their Speed Character, while Team Dark's team leader was their Flight Character.
- Charmy is the only member of Team Chaotix not to have appeared in any game without his teammates. Espio made a solo appearance in Sonic the Fighters, while Vector made solo appearances in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and Sonic Free Riders.
- Team Chaotix can be seen as the secondary colors—Charmy (orange), Vector (green) and Espio (purple)—in the same way Team Sonic can be seen as the primary colors—Knuckles (red), Tails (yellow) and Sonic (blue).
- In the Robot Storm and Robot Carnival boss battles, Team Chaotix is considered the easiest to use since the special effect of their Team Blast gives them plenty of Rings to immediately refill the gauge after using it, thus allowing them to take out waves of robots with ease.
- Team Chaotix is one of two teams in Sonic Heroes who have no females in their team, the other being Team Sonic.
- A billboard advertising the Chaotix Detective Agency appears in both Acts of City Escape in Sonic Generations. It reads "Are you sure you want to know? - Chaotix Detective Agency".
- The Chaotix is the only team that does not appear in a collectible card in Sonic Rivals as a whole.
- The Chaotix is the only playble team in Sonic Heroes whose members are not playble in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- The Chaotix were planned to appeared in the Sonic the Hedgehog Level Pack, as textures related to Espio the Chameleon and Charmy Bee have been found in the game's files. As of May 2017, neither character has appeared anywhere in-game.
- ↑ Vector during the cutscene before Egg Fleet.
- ↑ Knuckles' Chaotix (Sega 32X) North American instruction manual, pg. 7
- ↑ Brian Shea (17 March 2017). A Longer Look At Modern Sonic. Game Informer. Retrieved on 17 March 2017.
- ↑ Electronic Gaming Monthly (3 February 2004). Afterthoughts: SONIC HEROES - A candid chat with Sonic Team's lord of the rings.. Electronic Gaming Monthly. Archived from the original on 30 March 2004.
- ↑ BlueParadox #E32017 on Twitter. Twitter (2017). Retrieved on 6 June 2017.