Sonic the Hedgehog
"The Doomsday Project" is the twenty-sixth and final episode of the Sonic the Hedgehog television series. It was first written by Ben Hurst and was first aired on 3 December 1994.
- Antoine Depardieu
- Bunnie Rabbot
- Doctor Robotnik
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Pollo and Dirk
- Rotor Walrus
- Sir Charles Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- For the transcript of this episode, see The Doomsday Project/Transcript.
When a pod lands in Knothole, Sonic and Sally realize that Robotnik's Doomsday Project has begun a week early! With all of Mobius in danger, the Freedom Fighters prepare for their final battle. The Freedom Fighter groups decide to infiltrate the Doomsday Machine and, with both of the Deep Power Stones, Sonic and Sally destroy the machine. Meanwhile, as Robotnink and Snively are arguing over what to do, the enraged Robotnik escapes with his life in a hovercraft, whilst Snively escapes in an underground lift. Robotnik gives his last words of: "I REALLY HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!", followed by repeating "HATE!".
Back at Knothole, everyone celebrates after Sonic and Sally announce the defeat of Robotnik, followed by a passionate kiss between the two freedom fighters.
However, Snively has survived, and he's planning to follow in Robotnik's footsteps. And to make matters worse, he's not alone...
- At the end of the episode, a pair of red eyes is seen by the viewer. They looked so similar to Sonic's eyes that most fans concluded that Metal Sonic or Knuckles the Echidna were due to appear. However this was confirmed by Sega to be Naugus, who was supposed to be the lead antagonist in the next season. Naugus was later ported to the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-off comics published by Archie Comics.
- A third season at one point was planned and confirmed, but was canceled due to low ratings.
- The full storyboards for this episode, along with some deleted scenes, were included as a bonus feature on Shout! Factory's Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Series DVD set.
- This is the only Season 2 episode to not use the shot of Sonic winking from the episode "Sonic Conversion" as the last background shot for the end credits, instead the shot of Sonic and Sally kissing was used.