The Last Way is the final stage in the Shadow the Hedgehog. The Last Way can only be reached by completing all sixth stages on both Hero and Dark, thereby fighting all bosses and seeing all ten endings. It will be unlocked afterwards.
Final Story Opening Cutscene
Shadow has collected all seven Chaos Emeralds and is aboard the Black Comet. Black Doom approaches and demands him to hand over the Chaos Emeralds. Then Sonic, along with Knuckles, Amy, Tails, Rouge, and Dr. Eggman (in person), arrive to stop Black Doom from gaining the Chaos Emeralds. Black Doom goes into explanation saying that they are not out to destroy the planet, but to "harvest" the humans as an energy source. Black Doom then takes the Emeralds and performs Chaos Control, warping the Black Comet down from space onto the Earth's surface. Black Doom explains that they needed the Chaos Emeralds because the Black Comet's velocity is not strong enough to penetrate a planet's atmosphere. He then tells a little story about the fateful deal he made with the late Gerald Robotnik fifty years prior. As Shadow collapses in disbelief, the others prepare to face Black Doom, but he releases a special type of nerve gas into the area, completely paralyzing the entire group. Laughing maniacally, he sends his dark alien offspring to feed on the blood of the helpless heroes (and Eggman), but Shadow somehow manages to break free of the effects of the gas (most likely because he was created from Black Arms DNA). Declaring that no one can tell him what to do now, Shadow tells Black Doom he will destroy him. After expressing his outrage at this, Black Doom retreats deeper into the black comet with Shadow in pursuit. All the frozen heroes (and Eggman) can do as pray as Sonic says to Shadow, "You're our only hope now!"
After finally catching up with Black Doom, Black Doom reveals that Shadow is directly grown from his blood; a revelation which flaws the Ultimate Lifeform when he reaches the alien's inner sanctum once again. Shadow then asks, "Just... Who are you?" Black Doom then tells him that he was a part of him and that he was created from his blood. Black Doom then elaborates telling him that Professor Gerald needed Black Arms DNA in order to stabilize Shadow, and in return, he would deliver him the Emeralds. All hope seems lost until Team Chaotix is then seen back aboard the ARK trying to save some data they've lost by hacking into the computer room. They then accidentally feed a recording of Gerald aboard the Black Comet where Shadow and Black Doom are. Gerald then explains that he made a horrible mistake making contact with the Comet. He then told Shadow that the only weapon that could stop them was the Eclipse Cannon, back aboard the ARK. Freshly galvanized by this new transmission from his maker and vowing to put his past behind him, Shadow uses the Chaos Emeralds to become Super Shadow, and flies off to confront Black Doom in his final form, Devil Doom outside the grounded Comet.
After defeating Devil Doom, Shadow then uses Chaos Control to warp the Comet out to space where it was shot by the Eclipse Cannon. Sonic and co. are out on the streets of Westopolis cheering him on as they watch the Eclipse Cannon shoot the Comet. Shadow is then seen aboard the ARK with a picture of Gerald and Maria as he vows to leave the past behind him and casually tosses the photo to the side.
The following weapons can be found in The Last Way:
- Big Barrel
- Big Worm Shooter
- Black Sword
- Dark Hammer
- Heavy Shot
- Ring Shot
- Wide Worm Shooter
- Environment Objects
- After leaving the room with the first GUN Beetle that you have to fight, don't use the red slime. instead, jump down to the left and defeat the worms to get the key.
- From the Second Checkpoint cross over to the left and get the key in the corner.
- Go through the door after the grinding section and jump across the platforms with the Black Arms Soldiers to reach the other side with the key.
- The only way to get this key is to use Chaos Control after the second section, following third Checkpoint, so that you barely get through the door but remain on the top. Use the Homing Attack on the Black Hawks to get to the other side.
- Go through the giant loops after Checkpoint 4, jump up to the right where the three giants are, and before using the Dash Panel, continue forward blasting the debris and defeat the giant to open the cage.
Find Black Doom!
- Guide: None, though characters will frequently talk to you during the stage.
- Objective: Reach the Goal Ring.
- Tips: Use Chaos Control as often as possible; you only have 10 minutes. You will also be trapped in a room between the third and fourth checkpoint, requiring Chaos Control.
Leads to: Devil Doom
Behind the Secret Door
A warp portal that takes Shadow to the fourth checkpoint.
- This stage requires use of Chaos Control, even though Shadow does not possess a Chaos Emerald throughout the entirety of the level. This is the first time in the game this ability has been canonically seen.
- When Shadow is transforming into Super Shadow, a musical remix of I Am... All of Me is heard, followed by a remix of Live and Learn when he flies off.
- During Expert Mode, the Hint Ring at the beginning of the level has a good luck message from every character seen in the game.
- Many parts of this stage are identical to Final Haunt, possibly because both Final Haunt and The Last Way take place within the same area, except with different placement of enemies and other slight modifications that require the use of Chaos Control.
|THE LAST WAY||N/A||2:27|