Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Tidal Tempest is an underwater region that strongly resembles Labyrinth Zone. It rests at the base of many volcanoes and rocky structures only seen at the very beginning of the Present zones. Pipes carry water from one area to another, with stone pillars adorning certain parts of the zone. The water elevation is normal in the Present, giving the zone a greenish/clear tint when entered.
In the past, Tidal Tempest is an underground cavern that has been untouched by mankind or machinery; strangely, it features pipes similar to those in the present. Stone pillars take a different shape here and the water level is fairly low, giving the caverns a darkened tint if stepped into.
The Bad Future shows Tidal Tempest as an over-industrialized, non-functional and corroded water plant. Broken-down machines, ruined stone pillars depicting Robotnik's face are featured here, and years of pollution have made the water toxic and unsafe (resulting in a reddish tint when entered). The water level is at its highest point in this timeline.
In the Good Future Tidal Tempest is a fully operational, turquoise aquarium that harbors much plant life in hydroponic cases. Fish swim freely through the water, which features a pleasant light-turquoise tint when entered. Just like the Bad Future, the water level is at its highest point in this timeline.
In other media
- All Badniks in Tidal Tempest are based on insects.
- The Yago Badnik is a dragonfly larva, while the Tonbo is a dragonfly, but it is highly unlikely that the Yago becomes a Tonbo, as the Yago has a broken future form.
- Due to a flaw in emulating the graphics card, the Sonic CD port in Sonic Gems Collection made the water of the Present timeline clear as opposed to green from the original and 2011 re-release versions.
- The music for Tidal Tempest (Past) is remixed as the music for Metropolis Ground Zero in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- Additionally, a remix of the music appears as music for one of the enemy battle themes.