Tomy is a company that produced Sonic the Hedgehog Toys in the UK in the 1990s.
In 2016, Tomy announced that they would make merchandise for Sonic's 25th anniversary. This included plushes and figures of the Classic style brand. In 2017, Tomy also announced the Sonic the Hedgehog's Collectors Series which contained figures of characters from both the Modern and Classic Sonic series.
Sonic the Hedgehog (1992)
A set was made of four figurines, which included 2 Sonics, Tails and Dr. Robotnik. The figurines were small, painted and had no articulation. A bendable figure of Sonic was also made, labeled as a "Flexi Friend".
Sonic & Knuckles (1994)
After the release of Sonic & Knuckles, Tomy released a series of 21 Sonic figurines. These figurines came in a total of five packs of four under the Sonic & Knuckles brand. These were released in Europe, Japan and possibly the US.
- Although this series was labelled as Sonic & Knuckles, ironically the only characters from the set that were actually in the game were Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Dr. Robotnik.
- Two of the Sonics, the Tails and one of the Robotniks are smaller versions of the same figures from Tomy's previous Sonic series.
- Two Dr. Robotnik figures were included in this set, both of which fashioned his Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog design.
- Most of the figurines from this series consisted of the original Badniks from Sonic 1, they even made a figurine of the scrapped Splats.
- Metal Sonic was also included in the set, but was mislabeled as "Sonic" on the packaging.
Packs and Figures
SegaWorld London (1997)
Sometime around 1996 or 1997 at SegaWorld London, a set of four figurines were available in a Sega themed box. The original set contained three Sonic figurines and a Metal Sonic, all of which were included in the previous Sonic & Knuckles series. The box was decorated with various Japanese and British Sonic stock art.
After Sega World Sydney had opened, the set was available there too. It was common for the box to contain four Sonics (two of the four being the same), instead of just three Sonics and one Metal Sonic though.
It was announced that the Jazwares Sonic figures would be distributed in Europe by TOMY. The pictured banner confirmed 3 of the Super Poser figures. TOMY had announced the following sets of figures to be released in 2010:
- 6-inch Super Posers, highly detailed posable action figures with over 25 points of articulation (£9.99 RRP)
- 7-inch Soft Figures, plush characters, ready to go wherever your adventure takes you (£6.99 RRP)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Book Pack, a collector’s edition 200th issue comic book featuring Sonic and rival Knuckles, complete with two exclusive 3¾” posable action figures (£16.99 RRP).
In promotion of the European version of the game Sonic Colors for the Wii and Nintendo DS, TOMY released a five-inch Sonic action figure that came with three Wisps. It was released along side the game in November of 2010. The figure could be bought along with the game in a "Special addition pack". The figure came with different wisps depending on what version of the game was purchased. The Wii version came with the white, orange and cyan wisps. The DS version came with the yellow, red and blue wisps. The Sonic figure has holes in his hands and the Wisps have pegs on the back of them, you can put the pegs onto the Sonic figure's hands to hold them.
Around 2011, Gacha and TOMY teamed up to make Buildable Sonic Figures, Sonic Disk Shooters, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Pull-Backs, a set of Danglers (full-body and head danglers), and a set of Magnets. Like typical Gacha brand toys, these come in round plastic containers with 4 small holes on the top and bottom. Choosing which of the characters you are buying is close to impossible.
Buildable Figure Lineup
Pull-Back Racer Lineup
Dangler Figure Lineup
- Metal Sonic
- Super Sonic
The main toyline for Sonic Boom was handled by TOMY and was set to release in late 2014. The main toyline has been Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Amy Rose, Knuckles the Echidna, Dr. Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Burnbot, and Sticks the Badger.
So far (as of 2018) The figure line up has 3-inch figures of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks, Eggman, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Orbot and Cubot as well as many variants of the said figures. Some variants include metallic variants, different head gear, and new paint jobs.
There have also been 8-inch plushes to go with them. So far they have released plushes of the main characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks, Metal Sonic, Shadow). As well as a small line known as Bighead plushes containing Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Shadow and Orbot.
- Bighead Variant of Sonic
- Bighead Sticks
- Bighead Metal Sonic
- Bighead Cubot
In 2017 Tomy started creating a new line of figures and plushes of Emoji-based Sonic characters. So far the line contains Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Both figures and plushes exist of the characters. In 2018 Plushes of Shadow and Eggman are planned to be added to the line. In 2018 figures will also be made of a new Tails and Eggman.
In 2016, in celebration of Sonic's 25th anniversary, Tomy released both figures and plushes of Classic styled Sonic characters. They weren't specifically labelled as Classic versions of the characters, however. The characters in this series included Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman.
Tomy released four plushes in total, including Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman. The plushes were very shiny and metallic due them being made of a crushed velvet material. They retailed for $14.99.
As a part of the 25th anniversary series, Tomy also released three 3-inch figures of Classic Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. They were available in 3 different options; single-packs, comic 2-packs and a special 3-pack. The 3-pack had the figures have a shiny metallic finish though, much like their plushie counterparts. They even included 3 golden coins with artwork of each character.
In December 2016, Tomy's 2017 catalog released and showed a new wave of upcoming Sonic toys, known as the Sonic the Hedgehog Collector Series. This line consisted of toys from both the Classic and Modern Sonic the Hedgehog series brands.
At the end of 2017, Tomy's 2018 catalog released and revealed more upcoming toys from the Collector Series, including new figures and plushies.
Going off of the 25th Anniversary line, the Classic figures were re-released. The 2017 line-up had the figures from 2016 as well as variants of them. For plushes they also had Classic Sonic, Classic Tails, and Classic Knuckles.
The 2018 line-up had a special 5-inch figure was made that was similar to Good Smile Company's Sonic Nendoroid as it came with many accessories and was overall a very well-constructed figure. More plushies were announced, like Classic Super Sonic and Classic Dr. Eggman. More figures were revealed to release too, such as Classic Amy, Classic Metal Sonic and Classic Dr. Eggman.
In 2017, Tomy added Comic 2-packs to their Collector Series lineup. A Comic 2-pack would consist of two figures, being a Classic and a Modern version of a character, as well as a comic book relating to the character.
Six initial packs were revealed in Tomy's 2017 catalog. Four of the packs were two different versions of a Sonic pack and a Knuckles pack, as both had different comics. Eventually only one of each of the Sonic and Knuckles packs released, both with a comic by Archie Comics.
In 2018, the Tails and Metal Sonic packs released, and contained comics from the 2016 Sonic Comic. The comic in the Tails pack contained acts 1 to 13 of the comic, while the comic in the Metal Sonic pack contained acts 14 to 25. All the acts in the comics were translated from Japanese to English as well.
The Modern Sonic portion of the Collector Series consisted of, like most other waves, plushes and figures. In 2017, four eight-inch plushes included Sonic, Metal Sonic, Shadow and Tails. A twelve-inch plush of Sonic was released too.
For the 2018 line-up, the Sonic and Knuckles figures were re-released as new figures were produced such as Metal Sonic, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Shadow, Super Sonic, Infinite, Zavok and Chao. Plushes included variants of Sonic and Tails as well as new plushes of Dr. Eggman, Amy, Vector, Chao, Shadow, Knuckles, Silver, Vector, Super Sonic, and a Dark Chao.
In September 2017, a listing for a "Sonic Forces Figure Pack" leaked on GameStop's website. There was no image or information about the pack, however shortly after the leak was discovered, Tomy confirmed the pack would contain four figures and exclusive lithographs for Sonic Forces, and would release after the game did.
Two months later the pack released, and the figures contained were re-releases of Sonic and Knuckles from the Collector Series Comic 2-packs, and a second re-release of their Classic Sonic figure. The pack did however include the debut of Tomy's modern Tails figure.
- Tomy's Sonic Boom merchandise has gotten a large amount of criticism due to their articulation style. As the previously released Jazwares Figures have a sub-total 14 articulation points while Tomy have 5. Even after that though they still continued the 5-points of articulation with there Modern Sonic figures.
- Tomy's Collectors Series made lots of plushes and figures that not many other companies haven't such as Vector, Classic Super Sonic, Modern Super Sonic, Zavok, and Dark Chao.
- ↑ http://www.sonicgear.org/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/sonic-boom-first-look-at-the-toy-line/
- ↑ http://www.sonicgear.org/USAPages/BendyFigures.html
- ↑ http://sega-memories.blogspot.com/2009/01/sonic-knuckles-mini-figures.html
- ↑ http://www.sonicgear.org/JapanPages/JapanSonicRandom4.html
- ↑ https://twitter.com/dapatmac/status/966834049187762176
- ↑ https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sonic-hedgehog-sega-world-london-243269441
- ↑ http://www.segadriven.com/sega-related-models-and-figurines/
- ↑ http://sonicstadium.org/news/sega-tomy-deal-brings-sonic-figures-to-uk-europe
- ↑ http://www.sonicgear.org/GachaFigures/GachaFigures.html
- ↑ https://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/12/tomy-reveals-25th-anniversary-toyline-for-july-2016/
- ↑ https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/nuremberg-toy-fair-reveals-new-25th-anniversary-details/
- ↑ https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/12/tomy-2017-catalogue-reveals-more-boom-and-classic-merchandise/
- ↑ http://images.tomy.com/s7viewers/html5/eCatalogViewer.html?emailurl=http://images.tomy.com/s7/emailFriend&serverUrl=http://images.tomy.com/is/image/&config=media/test_HTML5_eCatalog&contenturl=http://images.tomy.com/skins/&asset=media/2017-TOMY-US-Catalog-NO-LS_sm
- ↑ http://images.tomy.com/s7viewers/html5/eCatalogViewer.html?emailurl=http://images.tomy.com/s7/emailFriend&serverUrl=http://images.tomy.com/is/image/&config=Scene7SharedAssets/Universal_HTML5_eCatalog_Adv&contenturl=http://images.tomy.com/skins/&asset=media/_2018TOMYCatalog-12-20-17
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYY-iPAHE7Q&t=6m4s
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/tomy.toy/photos/a.10150686813380399.440289.33566045398/10155461777935399/?type=3&theater
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DaPatMac/status/907795967554068480
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DaPatMac/status/907993879907008513
- ↑ https://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/toys/sonic-forces-figure-pack-only-at-gamestop/149754